IGNORED

Cold Weather vs Warm Weather

DFW75
Note: This thread is 734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I refuse to wear more than a base layer, a polo, and a thin pullover, so my limit for cold is 45 degrees. Any colder than that is a no go. Since we see 50+ degrees most of the winter that's not an issue most of the time. I just cannot swing in big bulky clothes, so it makes playing not very much fun.

We always walk which really helps playing on those colder mornings as well. Nothing gets the body heat going like walking, and the first hole at my course goes up a big hill so we are normally pulling the first layer pretty quickly.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't stand playing with bulky clothing, so my approach is to were a thin long sleeve shirt under a polo. I then wear a Northface jacket with hand warmers in the pocket. I drop the jacket to swing and then put it right back on. In weather below 50 I hardly even have people behind me, so the extra few seconds has never held anyone up, and wouldn't any more than putting a driver or putter cover on. 

This is my go-to cold weather outfit.

75EBA521-31F8-425C-BFE7-D3C949D05D7B.gif

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

40 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

This is my go-to cold weather outfit.

75EBA521-31F8-425C-BFE7-D3C949D05D7B.gif

Mine….lol.096DF7BD-E3B8-48B1-967B-1FD6DF7BA24E.thumb.jpeg.1086914fa4a5e4844623c4c2ed48dd54.jpeg

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Mine….lol.096DF7BD-E3B8-48B1-967B-1FD6DF7BA24E.thumb.jpeg.1086914fa4a5e4844623c4c2ed48dd54.jpeg

Is that for when it’s below 70?

• Funny 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 3/4/2022 at 1:01 PM, DFW75 said:

Question - how much does cold affect your play? I know weather has an effect - but I usually consider wind / rain with that statement - not really temperature. 

I have only been really focused on my play since about July. So this is my first winter I think of even playing. The last time I played more than once every other month was living on a tropical island where we played year round. 

I went a few days ago and it was cold - upper 30s when we started, warming up to about 45. Had a couple of layers on over my shirt. And I felt like I was learning how to play all over. My shots were not very good - and when I did feel I got a good shot, it came up a good 20-30 yards short. Was really having to take an extra club or two to have a shot. 

Then, I went out yesterday - same course - in shorts and a shirt - mid 80s. And it was like a breath of fresh air. I was hitting my shots long, they were straight, timing felt good - felt loose. 

Shot a 101 on the cold day - 83 on the warm day.

So was just wondering how many of you feel that you play worse on cold days? Or is it just in my head? Do you change your play / mechanics / expectations when it's cold? 

Being from northern Minnesota i play my fair amount of cold golf in the spring and fall. My swing speed is 5-7 mph more in the summer compared to the early spring conditions. I play a lower compression ball in the cold and a 100 compression ball in the heat and humidity. I definitely score alot better in the warm weather.

• 1 month later...
Note: This thread is 734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!