IGNORED

What's it Like to Spectate at a Major Tournament?

Dornenglanz

On 3/14/2022 at 12:07 PM, Jrwatkins7 said:

The US Open at Chambers Bay was a viewing disappointment. 

I enjoyed it. But I went with the intention of staying in one spot the whole time. I actually picked a good spot on 10. No one could block me and I could see all the way out to the driving range. But i understand the disappointment. Definitely not a good spectator course. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went with the intention of viewing the action on the par-5 8th hole, that runs along the cliff on the edge of the course. But the entire hole was closed off from spectators with the exception of a small viewing stand directly behind the tee box.

One of my other hobbies is photographer and I shot professional sports, as a second “job” for a number of years. I typically shot NFL, MLS and International soccer, MLB, and NCAA Football and Basketball, but was able to shoot the 2010 Sr. US Open at Sahalee and the 2015 US Open at Chambers Bay.

I was able to talk my way into an inside the ropes pass at the Sr. Open and would shoot some of my favorite Sr. players until Seattle native and local favorite Fred Couples got on the course, especially once he was contending and paired with eventual winner Bernhard Langer in the final round. They were the best seats and that was the best experience outside of an honorary observer role I could imagine.

For the US Open at Chambers Bay I wasn’t as fortunate. I wasn’t included in the small group of photographers allowed inside the ropes but there were roped off areas exclusive to photographers that on many holes provided close access and good sightlines. Some were farther away than I would have preferred but overall, a great experience other than making my way through the crowds to get from hole to hole. Tiger from a severely plugged lie.

US_Sr_Open_ SUN_72010b.jpg

GH_2015_US_Open_72pi_086b.jpg

Edited by PNW
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Senior US Open when it was played at Salem Country Club in 2001 and have been to the Deutsche Bank Championship a handful of times back when I lived in Mass. It was an honor to see Jack play while in contention. I followed Tiger around in a pro am and Phil during tournament play at the Deutsche Bank. I think it's cool to watch the best players go through their routines and how they play certain shots. More recently I went to the American Family Championship senior event in Madison, WI and seeing a lot of the players I grew up watching was a blast. 

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

I've been to quite a few. Used to go to the Open for the full week every year. My family would rent a house for the week. As a kid I would be one of the kids carrying a scoreboard around. That was always fun. One time Tom Kite was in my group at Royal St Georges. He'd just won the US Open a few weeks earlier. We walked off from the first green and he came over, offered his hand and said "hi I'm Tom Kite". I was young and flustered and said "I know". That was awkward. Same year Sandy Lyle drove it in one of the cross bunkers on the 9th. The lady scorer as we were walking up there said "why did he hit driver, he must have known he could get it there". He went in there with a sand wedge and hit it to 6 inches. She just looked at me and said "ah".

Anyway - I really like going to watch them. It's very different from watching on the TV. Their rhythm is so good. Literally looks like they can't miss. And then if you get to see a guy like DJ hit a driver and it's otherworldly. So impressive. I watched Tiger at St Andrews in 2000. The 5th hole was playing downwind, the green was rock hard and the pin was at the front. They could all reach and they were all winding up 30 yards away on the green and 3 putting and there was as a result a big hold up. Groups ahead included Price, Els and a few other top players. I watched them hit their drives and I thought to myself I can hit it like that. I'm not as long and I'm certainly not as consistent, but I can do that. Then after sitting down for 45 minutes, Tiger stood up, grabbed a pair of irons and swung them two or three times and pulled his driver out. Hit it 400 yards down the dead centre of the fairway and I just knew that if I played for a 1000 years I could never hit it like that. It wasn't fair. 

Then I went to the US Open at Shinnecock. I decided I wasn't going to watch Tiger this time. Too many people and it's just too hard. I wanted to watch DJ. Then I saw the draw - guess who was playing with DJ. So I did wind up watching Tiger. DJ made him look like all the others off the tee. I think DJ shot 65 and Tiger shot 78 or something like that. Quite something. He hits his driver and it sounds different and then it gets to its apex (or what I feel like should be its apex) and it keeps going up and going. I now really want to see Kyle Berkshire hit it. 

Last thing I'll say is there is nothing that gets me champing at the bit to get out and play than watching the pros play. Some of that rhythm rubs off and I feel like I can be so good. Lasts a hole or two and then back to the drawing board, but hey ho 🙂

My father took me to the 1991 PGA Championship at Crooked Stick in the Indianapolis area.  We went to the Tuesday practice round and the final round.  I was 17 at the time and golfed twice a week, so I was excited.

The entire experience was one I’ll always remember.  As other’s have said, it’s hard to truly see how good these guys are until you walk the course, hear how the click of the ball off their clubs sound, and just see amazing putting on crazy undulated and fast greens.

I will always appreciate Phil Blackmar, because he hit a tee shot on Tuesday and I said “nice shot”.  He came over to me and said thanks and talked to me for a second.  To me, that was cool.  The funny thing is, Phil is like 6’7” and he was practicing with a player that looked 5’7” next to him (I forget the other player’s name).

Anyway, while it was amazing to see Daly hit bombs on Sunday, I think I would prefer going to a practice round (less crowded and more up close to players).

The entire experience truly put into perspective just how good even the 100th ranked pro was.  

Definitely go to at least one tournament!

Edited by boil3rmak3r

• 2 weeks later...

Been to both Firestone and Muirfield a number of times. Went to a practice round at Augusta back in 2009. That was an awesome experience. Even got a picture with Rory (was his first year qualifying). 

It's definitely worth seeing the pros in person at least once. It's amazing how good those guys are. They're not superhuman in terms of ball flight, distance, etc. What's noteworthy is just how damn consistent they are with pure ball striking. 

If I were to go back to Augusta, I'd choose a practice round over the actual tournament. Not as crowded. Pros are more relaxed and many will interact with the fans. It's such an amazing course. TV doesn't do it justice.

• Thumbs Up 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

On 3/16/2022 at 12:53 PM, PNW said:

One of my other hobbies is photographer and I shot professional sports, as a second “job” for a number of years. I typically shot NFL, MLS and International soccer, MLB, and NCAA Football and Basketball, but was able to shoot the 2010 Sr. US Open at Sahalee and the 2015 US Open at Chambers Bay.

I was able to talk my way into an inside the ropes pass at the Sr. Open and would shoot some of my favorite Sr. players until Seattle native and local favorite Fred Couples got on the course, especially once he was contending and paired with eventual winner Bernhard Langer in the final round. They were the best seats and that was the best experience outside of an honorary observer role I could imagine.

For the US Open at Chambers Bay I wasn’t as fortunate. I wasn’t included in the small group of photographers allowed inside the ropes but there were roped off areas exclusive to photographers that on many holes provided close access and good sightlines. Some were farther away than I would have preferred but overall, a great experience other than making my way through the crowds to get from hole to hole. Tiger from a severely plugged lie.

US_Sr_Open_ SUN_72010b.jpg

GH_2015_US_Open_72pi_086b.jpg

Freddie still has one of the smoothest swings on any tour..

I want to be like Fred. LOL

The only Major I have attended is the Masters (on Thursday and Saturday). I have been there a few times so as I have done it, I've have learned a couple things. When I go now, I take (or buy) a couple chairs and head to a spot where I can see a few holes. For example, behind 12 is great because you can see a few holes with different shots. 16 isn't a bad place up on the hill. Once we put the chairs down (they have our names on them) we usually walk around the course and watch various players until we get tired and then head back to the seats and sit and watch. It's the only sporting event I have been to that consistently exceeds my expectations. I would recommend it every single time. I love having a sandwich and a beverage and watching the groups come through amen corner. One more thing, get there early. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I was at the 2002 PGA Championship at Hazeltine on Saturday.  I had been to a couple Tucson Opens and a Phoenix Open before that, but was not a tournament attending veteran.  At Hazeltine, we were able to walk around fairly freely and see play on all 18 holes.  Saw Tiger hit a drive on the first par 5 on the back nine, but other than that stayed away from watching the marquee players in favor of seeing more of the course.  In 2002, I was more of a fan of golf and golf courses than I was of "professional golf" or professional golfers, so attending it gave me what I wanted out of it.

John

On 3/12/2022 at 5:35 AM, Dornenglanz said:

I rarely "watch" golf, and on the rare occasions that I do, TV coverage is amazing - the views are perfect, the cameras follow the ball, etc.  However, there clearly must be some value in actually attending, because the events are always packed, and I guess the tickets aren't cheap.  So - what's it like to be a live spectator?  Is it "worth it"?  What do you gain and lose?  With the 150th open coming up this summer, I could generate some enthusiasm for an exploratory trip...

It's a blast, an experience that let's you experience more than watching it on TV. Do it. Go once and you will be hooked.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

On 4/20/2022 at 8:30 AM, Bucki1968 said:

The only Major I have attended is the Masters (on Thursday and Saturday). I have been there a few times so as I have done it, I've have learned a couple things. When I go now, I take (or buy) a couple chairs and head to a spot where I can see a few holes. For example, behind 12 is great because you can see a few holes with different shots. 16 isn't a bad place up on the hill. Once we put the chairs down (they have our names on them) we usually walk around the course and watch various players until we get tired and then head back to the seats and sit and watch. It's the only sporting event I have been to that consistently exceeds my expectations. I would recommend it every single time. I love having a sandwich and a beverage and watching the groups come through amen corner. One more thing, get there early. 

All good info. Definitely make a point to walk the course your first time out there. If I were to go back, I'd follow the above advice. 

One thing I learned from the one trip to Augusta (Monday practice round), is that you can manage to get tickets pretty cheap. But there's a little bit of a risk. We met a group of guys that that said they come every year for the practice round. But not because they win one of the lotteries. Instead, they just book a hotel. Then show up the mornings of the practice round and wait patiently outside the gates. 

I guess a lot of patrons and weekly ticket holders will go just for a little bit on the practice round mornings. Hit up the merchandise shop. Maybe walk around for a bit, then leave for the day. And while not all will sell their badges, many will for much cheaper than you can get on stub-hub.

Again, it comes with some risk that you may not find anyone wanting to sell. But worth a shot. I plan to give it a try one year. Just plan it in conjunction with a golf trip so that it's not a total loss if we come up empty.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

My only Major was Pinehurst in 2014, was a bit of a disappointment for a couple of reasons:

- it was Sunday, and Kaymer killed any chance of competition for the victory

- there were A LOT of spectators, raising dust everywhere on the trails; black stuff came out of my nose for a couple of days

Here in NC I enjoyed more tour events in Quail Hollow