IGNORED

Soooo Tired of the Wet Courses!

Zippo

• Administrator
3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

We arrived near Jekyll Island and since we've been here they have had a top 10 wettest March ever.   I blame my wife..(don't tell her)

My daughter just played a tournament there last week. It poured the night between the second and third rounds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

We've had a tornado warning and yesterday's round was cart path only.   Beats Michigan weather!

Ahhh, yes. Cart path only. I forgot that little gem. I think I end up walking more when it's cart path only than I do when I simply walk the course.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always wondered why someone would take a cart when it it cart path only. Unless its a physical limitation why not walk. Back to topic wet courses suck. The course I frequent the most is 5 minutes away and has a links style set up. If it rains early in the week the course is still soaked by the weekend on certain holes. 

2 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

I always wondered why someone would take a cart when it it cart path only. Unless its a physical limitation why not walk. Back to topic wet courses suck. The course I frequent the most is 5 minutes away and has a links style set up. If it rains early in the week the course is still soaked by the weekend on certain holes. 

I can’t speak for everyone but it’s been so wet here I haven’t wanted my electric cart on the course. 

Why we are playing two man scrambles tomorrow. Hopefully one drive won't disappear, completely embedded into the muck we are calling soil in the spring.....

On 3/26/2022 at 9:24 PM, Zippo said:

Ahhh, yes. Cart path only. I forgot that little gem. I think I end up walking more when it's cart path only than I do when I simply walk the course.

The worst is when you’re playing a course that’s designed for using carts on the fairways but when it’s cartpath only there’s only like three openings to the cartpath. You end up walking a long way just to get to your ball and find none of the five clubs in your hand is the one you need.

I’ve played a few courses set up like that. Had to borrow @Hardspoon’s 6i for a shot at RNK when we played that outing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Few years ago we played through a deluge at International in Myrtle Beach during a buddies trip. It was our 2nd round of the day and was free (courtesy of a friend of a friend..) so it wasn't a serious round. We were all soaked to our core but it we made the best of it. We took the liberty of teeing up every shot regardless of where they lied as there was no relief from 'casual' water. Putting was hilarious/atrocious (there was enough water on them that you could see ripples on the surface) so but we had stopped counting strokes and all bets were off so didn't matter.   

BTW, OP is hilarious..😂

• Funny 1

I try not to play this time of year because you can literally lose a drive in the middle of the fairway because the ball is fully embedded. Usually, I do not play that many rounds of golf before late April. 

I passed on playing today here on Long Island. It is a very annoying rain. A very light steady annoyance. I have said this before, the course by my house is always wet. 42 temp and wet conditions. I will pass. Nothing good would come from playing today. Dammit do I hate when it rains on the weekend. And, please let the low 40s temp move to high 50s. Getting too old to play in low 40s. I do miss playing in all conditions. 

59 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

... the course by my house is always wet. 42 temp and wet conditions. I will pass. Nothing good would come from playing today.

A few years ago some guy in Minnesota, in sub-freezing conditions, tried in an NFL Playoff game, to kick a field goal to win the game.  Oh right, nothing good came of it...

Well, I won't be playing tomorrow either, it appears. Weatherfolk are calling for another inch and a half of rain. Arrrrrgh!

19 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Well, I won't be playing tomorrow either, it appears. Weatherfolk are calling for another inch and a half of rain. Arrrrrgh!

... to go with the 55mph winds.

• Funny 1

60 and Sun today on Long Island. Tee time tomorrow at 10:30. Rain! I am tired of ruined weekends. Ugh. My new True Luxs came in perhaps I slog it for an hour before rain stops. 

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry. I know it's been a while and it being June and all I really thought this thread was dead but... One and a half inches of rain this past weekend and many courses are flooded - again. We played at a course down south and they had to close two of the holes (16 and 17) as they were under water. The course does have some trash pumps that normally would pump some of that water off the course but one of the pumps had broken down - hence the new lakes.

Even on the few, mostly drier, parts of the course it was difficult. Image trying to hit while standing on a thick foam mattress. I've walked on the tundra in Alaska and I think even that is firmer than what many of the courses are like around here. Supposed to not rain tomorrow and then more rain after that.

And, just to show that I'm a journeyman whiner, the grass is growing like crazy. With all the rain and just a bit of sunlight it's just taken off. When I'm on the mower all I can think about is my golf game and when I'm on the course all I can think about is if I will be able to cut through the grass to get back to my house!

Please, please. Just a week or so without rain. Please? I've lived a clean life (cough - cough).

31 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I'm sorry. I know it's been a while and it being June and all I really thought this thread was dead but... One and a half inches of rain this past weekend and many courses are flooded - again. We played at a course down south and they had to close two of the holes (16 and 17) as they were under water. The course does have some trash pumps that normally would pump some of that water off the course but one of the pumps had broken down - hence the new lakes.

Even on the few, mostly drier, parts of the course it was difficult. Image trying to hit while standing on a thick foam mattress. I've walked on the tundra in Alaska and I think even that is firmer than what many of the courses are like around here. Supposed to not rain tomorrow and then more rain after that.

And, just to show that I'm a journeyman whiner, the grass is growing like crazy. With all the rain and just a bit of sunlight it's just taken off. When I'm on the mower all I can think about is my golf game and when I'm on the course all I can think about is if I will be able to cut through the grass to get back to my house!

Please, please. Just a week or so without rain. Please? I've lived a clean life (cough - cough).

We are about 3" behind average so far this year.      It's my fault, I bought a rain gauge!  😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

We have a couple days of sun, then back to rain Thursday. NOAA said likely to be both wetter and colder than average for June here in Western WA. So, yeah. We better have a dry and warm fall.

20 hours ago, dennyjones said:

We are about 3" behind average so far this year.      It's my fault, I bought a rain gauge!  😜

Well, we got a couple inches over night so maybe we are back to normal?  The course was a soggy mess this morning when we played.