IGNORED

Annoying Playing Partner Talks to My Ball

Surgehigh
Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks for all the comments. Some had me laughing out loud. Even considered the slap…. but not an option. He taught karate. Our group actually played a round of golf after I posted yesterday. He started on the first hole and on each golfers drive, fairway shots, chips, and putts. I kept thinking I wonder what kind of advice I’m getting on thesandtrap?  Well on the 3rd hole after my ball received a play by play until it stopped on the green.  I finally said…. it looks like we have Howard Cosell playing with us today. OK you need to be a mature golfer to remember Howard. Well….. unbelievable but it didn’t stop him totally but it slowed him down. I think our group is going to start talking to his ball on every shot. lol. Thanks everyone…hit ‘em straight. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, commentary doesn't bother me, as long as its accurate.  I used to play with a guy who was unfailingly positive, even on the worst shots.  "Great shot" he'd say on a ball clearly headed 50 yards right of the target, "You killed that one" for a drive that had the trajectory of a lofted sand wedge.  I never figured out if he was blind and couldn't see how bad some of those shots were, or if he was intentionally trying to irritate us.   At one point I did get a little fed up, and after one of those comments I quite loudly replied "Shut the F--- up, its in the middle of the F---ing water."  That helped for a bit, but wasn't a permanent solution.  He doesn't play with our group anymore, but not because of this, he simply moved away.

• Funny 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My regular playing partner is the absolute worst when it comes to commentary on the course. He is famous for saying good speed after a putt. Problem being the ball is either crushed or well short. It is now a running joke whenever someone misses a putt badly. Good speed. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

3 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

My regular playing partner is the absolute worst when it comes to commentary on the course. He is famous for saying good speed after a putt. Problem being the ball is either crushed or well short. It is now a running joke whenever someone misses a putt badly. Good speed. 

Oh yeah, I play with a big old group of ball-busters, I don't mind that a bit.  

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Oh yeah, I play with a big old group of ball-busters, I don't mind that a bit.  

If you can’t laugh with your golf buddies on the course what the hell are we doing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

We all talk to each other balls (pun intended) in our group. I realize it can get a bit annoying even if it is a well-intended 'come back!' to a deaf ball that we all know never took swimming lessons. I have tried to cut back on my own pointless drivel lately as I have found that have been doing it outside my group too out of habit.  

Vishal S.

At least he sounds like he's rooting for your ball...my group rarely says anything except if you screw up. Leaving a putt short normally is greeted with a barrage of "Here kitty, kitty, kitty" or even worse "add the two stroke penalty for anchoring...in your vagina." 

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

11 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

At least he sounds like he's rooting for your ball...my group rarely says anything except if you screw up. Leaving a putt short normally is greeted with a barrage or "Here kitty, kitty, kitty" or even worse "add the two stroke penalty for anchoring...in your vagina." 

I will have to remember that one. I think I got the old, "Good thing you played conservatively," when I hit a 3 wood tee shot on a tight par 4 into the trees. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Years ago we used to have a game on Wednesday afternoons at the golf club where I was working at the time. It would usually get anywhere from 20-30 guys who could play good enough to maybe take some money from the other guys. One of the regulars was a guy who's name was Forest but we all called him Fuzzy.  Fuzzy was the best golf hustler I have ever been around. If you shot 42, he would shoot 41. If you shot 70, he would shoot 69. He had some famous one liners on the golf course. If anyone would hit a good shot, he would claim "I didn't see it". And he never wanted anyone "talking to his ball". He always claimed that "his ball wouldn't listen to anyone else anyway". He was also famous for giving putts on the front 9 and then "needing to see that" on the back 9.  He was a classic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

32 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

"add the two stroke penalty for anchoring...in your vagina." 

Yeah, I remind my daughter routinely that some men raised by wolves will randomly insult women for no related reason. 

Vishal S.

4 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yeah, I remind my daughter routinely that some men raised by wolves will randomly insult women for no related reason. 

As a father of 3 fantastic female athletes... I don't let passing comments offend me. It's rare that a you get razzed by a non offensive comment. 🙄

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

12 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

It's rare that a you get razzed by a non offensive comment. 🙄

Yup.. it's the offensive ones that I tell her to not get razzed by. 

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Honestly, commentary doesn't bother me, as long as its accurate.  I used to play with a guy who was unfailingly positive, even on the worst shots.  "Great shot" he'd say on a ball clearly headed 50 yards right of the target, "You killed that one" for a drive that had the trajectory of a lofted sand wedge.  I never figured out if he was blind and couldn't see how bad some of those shots were, or if he was intentionally trying to irritate us.   At one point I did get a little fed up, and after one of those comments I quite loudly replied "Shut the F--- up, its in the middle of the F---ing water."  That helped for a bit, but wasn't a permanent solution.  He doesn't play with our group anymore, but not because of this, he simply moved away.

I have a close friend like that. She always says nice shot no matter what.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Very little annoys me on the course. 
Talk in my back swing... no problem.

Talk to my golf ball... no problem.

Play music on the course... no problem.

Where a white belt when you weigh 265 pounds.... well, let's not get ridiculous. JK - Wear a white belt if you like. Just prepared for me to try to buy an ice cream cone from you at the turn. 

As I think about this. Since very little annoys me that can only mean one thing. .... I'm the annoying one. 😁

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

At one point I did get a little fed up, and after one of those comments I quite loudly replied "Shut the F--- up, its in the middle of the F---ing water."  That helped for a bit, but wasn't a permanent solution.  He doesn't play with our group anymore, but not because of this, he simply moved away.

He started looking at houses as soon as he went home that day.

• Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

43 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Very little annoys me on the course. 
Talk in my back swing... no problem.

Talk to my golf ball... no problem.

Play music on the course... no problem.

Where a white belt when you weigh 265 pounds.... well, let's not get ridiculous. JK - Wear a white belt if you like. Just prepared for me to try to buy an ice cream cone from you at the turn. 

As I think about this. Since very little annoys me that can only mean one thing. .... I'm the annoying one. 😁

You might need to talk to someone and work through this white belt issue.

image.jpeg.3fb52e3e549fb8f4d2ace4cc20777538.jpeg

• Funny 1

14 minutes ago, billchao said:

He started looking at houses as soon as he went home that day.

He used to live right of #14, you may have hit his old house once .

Dave

I tend to do this - talking to other people's balls. This thread is a good reminder that some people do not like it, and that I should probably tone it down. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!