IGNORED

All Time Greatest Phonies You've Encountered?

DoubleAce

• Administrator
On 4/22/2022 at 4:36 PM, dennyjones said:

I believe I'm headed in this direction, soon

He was making a joke.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/14/2022 at 10:08 AM, Pretzel said:

Now I'm in a similar scenario - have played 3 times since last November and am more than a little bit rusty despite my handicap still being the same as it was at the end of the season last year. It's an annual occurrence in places with winter though, so not too worried there.

Yea it’s normal for me to play like a 20 for the first handful of rounds in a year, despite being a 12. I have to constantly remind myself that breaking 95 is a good score for me at this time of year.

I always kind of feel like a vanity capper, though. I have more 20+ differential rounds in my revision scores than I have single digit rounds, but none of them count.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

This past weekend i finally lost it on my 8 year golf partner. Its well know that he drastically lies. He cheats a ton but i never cared because i always still beat him. We played a pro course and he definitely scored 120+. Said he shot a 96. His scores came so predictable that we were accurately predicting what he would say he'd score on each hole before he tee'd off. On one par 5 in particular it took him 9 strokes to get on the green before 3 putting. Of couse he bogey'd it. Im probably never playing with him again .

35 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

This past weekend i finally lost it on my 8 year golf partner. Its well know that he drastically lies. He cheats a ton but i never cared because i always still beat him. We played a pro course and he definitely scored 120+. Said he shot a 96. His scores came so predictable that we were accurately predicting what he would say he'd score on each hole before he tee'd off. On one par 5 in particular it took him 9 strokes to get on the green before 3 putting. Of couse he bogey'd it. Im probably never playing with him again .

I dunno, may be not worth ending an 8 year run of golf.  Just accept it, maybe get in front if it "put you down for a bogey Jim?' and let it go.   Imagine how he must feel, shooting 120+ on a pro course.  Which I guess is another question, really, what's are you guys doing on such a tough course!  (I mean that in a good way, golf doesn't need to be so brutal! :-))

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

1 hour ago, wakefield724 said:

He cheats a ton but i never cared because i always still beat him.

I got a friend cheats except he usually beats me. The guy is a truly talented athlete and would be on his way to scratch if he was able to devote more time to the game.

Maybe like good athletes, he puts the bad behind him real quick. If the result should of been some kind of bogey, 1 is coming off for sure. A triple is normally good for a two-stroke shave and he's never had anything worse than a triple.

Probably the thing that makes it ok is that we only play two or three times a year. He'll start bragging about his score and I'll give him a jab or two that he normally ignores. A round with him is check-your-ego at the door and I know the score going in. 

2 hours ago, wakefield724 said:

Eh, hopefully you guys can re-connect if there's a friendship there worth saving.  My technique when that happens is just to smirk and announce my score to be multiple strokes below what I actually shot.

I've mentioned this before... I have a friend who consistently rakes away 5 footers.  He'll text me after his round to say he just shot a 76!  In my head I just add 5-6 strokes to his score.  He's like the boy who cried wolf too many times.  I just don't believe him anymore.  Which means if he actually shoots 76 while putting out everything he won't get my kudos.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

He'll start bragging about his score ...

This is where I draw the line.  I don't really care what score someone gets, but if they're not scoring truly by the book, meaning no mulligans, OB and lost ball are stroke and distance, no preferred lies, etc.... then no bragging allowed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

11 hours ago, wakefield724 said:

If I played with a guy like that, I'd wait for him to make a hole in one and then ask if he wants me to put him down for a zero.

• Funny 3

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Great topic...I grew living on, as a member of, and working at a country club.  It was full of them.  Everyone is "a couple over" when they play alone LOL.  Honestly that club maybe had a dozen legit single digit handicappers not including the pros. 

The biggest one i used to see were guys grossly over exaggerating their driving distance...like it was a test of their manhood. 

On 4/18/2022 at 2:05 PM, ejm1994 said:

Makes my play seem like Tiger Woods. 

And no, I know I'm not perfect either. I'm still new to the game. Last Friday, I played a 9-hole round at Moon Golf Club, and I gave myself maybe 2 "mulligans." Ya know, whacked it with the driver a whopping 5 feet, so I put it on the tee and tried again.  Also on the 8th, I legit picked it up from the 9th fairway and threw it back towards the tee and hit from there. Gave myself the penalty strokes for it though. 

On days when my arthritis is acting up, I can be as bad or worse than your worst nightmare. But I can be that bad and still keep pace...........