IGNORED

What Was the Last Ball You Tried and What Is the Ball You Game?

17 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

... but don't they seem to distractingly wobble on putts?

That's funny. Somebody actually asked me that on the course. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve recently become a convert of the callaway xs l with the triple track. Reminds me of the KickX balls from the first Newport cup!

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 8:21 PM, Shindig said:

In... I think 2016 or so, I tried Snell's Get Sum balls.  I'm running low on supply and tried, at a friend's suggestion, some Kirkland something or another.  I'm planning to get back to Snell soon.

I think the next new-to-me ball I'll try is the Snell MTB when my swing and game characteristics warrant it over the Get Sum. 

Um... does anyone know what happened to the Get Sum?  I don't see them in Snell's shop and I doubt my swing characteristics are such that the MTB would be the right ball for me.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Um... does anyone know what happened to the Get Sum?  I don't see them in Snell's shop and I doubt my swing characteristics are such that the MTB would be the right ball for me.

GetSum_boxandball_1024x1024_nologo_319a6

Get Sum is a high-performance 2-pc golf ball that offers excellent feel and control.  The core is a large, soft low compression core that allows for the ball to have very low spin rates which increase distance and creates...

Sold out. In production.

IOW, supply chain issues.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:
GetSum_boxandball_1024x1024_nologo_319a6

Get Sum is a high-performance 2-pc golf ball that offers excellent feel and control.  The core is a large, soft low compression core that allows for the ball to have very low spin rates which increase distance and creates...

Sold out. In production.

IOW, supply chain issues.

That makes sense.  I'm glad to know they weren't discontinued then. :-)  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 1 month later...

I recently tried Oncore’s Vero X1. Because it’s another DTC ball, it’s about $10 cheaper than ProV1’s.  I’m not that great a golfer so keep that in mind, but I couldn’t tell a difference between the two other than it felt softer off the putter and with green side chips.  Better guys would probably notice some subtle differences. I know a lot of guys here like Snell and so they may have a different take if they were to compare them to their usual ball. But, I think these are worth a try if you’re looking to try something new just to try something new. They got a pretty good review from the TXG guys (see below)…

889EEEFF-B092-4CC0-BBB6-BC86C70C7C87.jpegA83936EA-2024-449A-BEAE-41A97E16D837.jpeg4DAB282D-FFF1-462C-A328-A35FAAFC5BDF.jpeg40E9C6E8-47DC-4715-8F5C-0A0B94C517E9.jpeg18A0C911-717C-4D1C-9448-6AA0C37F57B1.jpeg

Review:

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I normally game Maxfli's Softfli, for some reason that ball just fits me..  but I've also tried several of the other maxfli balls, Speedfli, Straightfli ( i can still slice it lol )  the old U/6lc ball, which i still have a dozen..  and i still have a dozen of the old U/3..   I did splurge a bit in the last couple of weeks and picked up a 48 box of the TourX and Tour..      

the local driving range i started going back to , has Kirkland's as their range balls!!!!!!!!   and wow i really like them, so i ended up picking up 20 boxes of them yesterday lol... So atm i have enough golf balls to last me a couple years..     plus for the price of Kirklands, its so hard to pass them up..    

It is what it is

The Taylormade TP5 Pix. They don’t like me. I lose those more than any other ball. As if they cannot wait to get away from me. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I, on average, find 4 to 8 balls a round.  Many of them new. 200+ rounds a year so I find at least 800 balls every year. So, let's say I get the opportunity to play a hole or so with lots and lots of different type balls.  The following are balls I give to my buddies that I find...Snell, Vice, Kirkland, Top Flite, Srixon, Titleist AVX along with anything pink, orange, red.  

I play mostly Bridgestone balls, the e12 Control.  Do not like it as well as the e12 Spin that was discontinued.  I also play the Callaway Supersoft.  But, as I said, I get to try lots of other balls.  Just hard to find the feel on all shots on the balls I described I give away.  

The last ball I found was a TaylorMade TP5 Yellow.  Couple years back I used to play the TP5X white.  I found the TP5 played vey well.  I liked the feel.  Probably won't switch to it but overall a very good golf ball.  

BTW, maybe it is because I am old but I hate the phrase where the word "game" is used instead of "play".  I don't game any balls, I play Bridgestone.  Now, the grouchy old man has spoken.  😁

Edited by RickK
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I bought a sleeve of Taylormade Tour Response with the large green stripe.  I like them, and the way I’ve seen people line up putts is to line the big green stripe 90 degrees to where they are aiming, so unlike the triple track or single line guides that point at your line, it’s the other way.

I’ve started doing that with any ball now, even lining up off the tee.   Generally I play Titleist ProV1 regular or X, with some TP5 and Chrome Soft Triple Track thrown in

—Adam

I play Titleist ProV1 almost exclusively. Although, someone gave me a dozen Srixon Z-Stars a while back and I been working my way through those as well. I've just never found a ball I like as well as the ProV1, and working at a golf course I get them considerably cheaper than the average person. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I'm 66 and I score in the 70s and 80s hdcp 6-8. I've been using the newest version on the Bridgestone RXS. I did use the older verson of that ball before the new one like 2018. I've tried both and I score much better with the older version. The 2018 has a more piercing flight that seems to hit the ground on a better angle. It also acts better on chip shots

The new version is really soft felling. The old version is firmer. It fells between the Titleist and the new RXS. Problem is, you can't hardly find the 2018 version. Good thing I have 5 dozen of these balls. That should last me for a few years. ha

I'm trying the Wilson Staff Triad, Maxfli Tour, and Top Flite Gamer right now, but I keep going back to the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite. I've gamed it for 10 years and haven't found anything yet that will kick it out of my bag.

Edited by rd19590

On 5/4/2022 at 9:00 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

About 5 years ago I started playing the Volvik Vivid. 

I received an 18 pack for my birthday, it had 6 sleeves, each a different color. After some very scientific testing I found that the Sherbet Orange Volvik Vivid was the easiest ball for me to see. So, for the last 5 years I've played those pretty much exclusively. 

Then the end of last year the Srixon Divide in orange and yellow came out. I found them even easier for me to see. So, now I play those exclusively. volvik-vivid.jpg.7d4bf500da176c53125a90d2ee14d1da.jpgsrixon_ball_qstartourdivide_std-04-600x338.jpg.e63172ad235a611e294ce814b3854043.jpg

I thought I'd update this post. I've recently been giving the Z-star Divide it's day in court. 

zstar_divide_boxes.thumb.png.27ce5544a338d568b2ac55ad4169f9a2.png

My research has been anything but scientific. ..BUT... I have to say, I "think" I like the Q-star better? .... Does that make any sense? Shouldn't I prefer the $43 dollar per dozen ball over the $30 per dozen ball? 

Perhaps it's because the Q-star comes in Yellow/Orange which I know I can see better than the White/Yellow of the Z-star. 

I have almost a dozen of the Z-star's in my bag right now (I did lose 2 last night). As soon as I use these up, I'm going to go back to the Q-star. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 7/6/2022 at 4:40 PM, RickK said:

BTW, maybe it is because I am old but I hate the phrase where the word "game" is used instead of "play".  I don't game any balls, I play Bridgestone.  Now, the grouchy old man has spoken.  

😁

I 100% agree, it sounds so stupid

• Like 1

Colin P.

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

My research has been anything but scientific. ..BUT... I have to say, I "think" I like the Q-star better? .... Does that make any sense? Shouldn't I prefer the $43 dollar per dozen ball over the $30 per dozen ball? 

I think what you're saying makes lots of sense.  My two favorite balls are Snell's Get Sum and Kirkland whatever-the-ball-is (not the actual name).  Ranked third are Bridgestone's e6.  I've tried plenty of more expensive balls, but the issue isn't "which is the most expensive ball you like?" but rather "which ball works best for your game?"

-- Michael | My swing! 

I used to play with Inesis Tour 900. They are a ProV1-like and I used to have a good price from the shop for them (45€ for 24 balls).

They discontinued the discount so I recently tried Vice Pro (with the Drip colors) and they feel great. I will keep them until the end of the year and will think about playing them next year or not. Price is a bit higher than with the Inesis for what I feel like similar performance.