IGNORED

Phil: The Rip-Roaring (and Unauthorized!) Biography… by Alan Shipnuck

iacas

• Administrator

I think Shipnuck is a doink.

6287f8e7b0a8be00185fdb7d?width=1200&form

Alan Shipnuck set the golf world ablaze by publishing Phil Mickelson's comments on the Saudi Golf League three months before his book came out.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One thing I agree with Shipnuck - I will never understand why Phil talked to Shipnuck of all people. He broke his lever. Baffling. 

Vishal S.

9 hours ago, GolfLug said:

One thing I agree with Shipnuck - I will never understand why Phil talked to Shipnuck of all people. He broke his lever. Baffling. 

You don’t understand the mind of FIGJAM. He needs to talk. That’s the JAM part.

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I agree. Just as FIGJAM can’t walk passed a roulette wheel or drop coin on an NBA game, he’s gonna tell a sports journalist some big secrets. He loves the suspense and the risk.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Hmm, I guess I underestimate how influential narcissism can be over common sense.  

"Vanity", the devil said.... "is my favorite sin". 

• Funny 1

Vishal S.

13 hours ago, iacas said:

I think Shipnuck is a doink.

I think his timing definitely was to capitalize on his 15 minutes. With Walter's book coming out with an apparent axe to grind, he probably wanted to maximize his window of opportunity. He timed the release for the PGA and teased it up because he knows his thunder is short lived and not really that salacious as this was all previously known information except for the Saudi comments.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

So there is some truth to this and it furthers my point that the information contained in the book is not solely responsible for Phil's withdrawal from the PGA.  From what we know about Phil, he would have relished the defending champion role and would love to see how many under 50s he could have lapped (and would probably had some over/under action on that). There is more at play than what we know. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

So I finished the book a few days ago.

Most of the "tales" are in the first chapter, and if you've listened to the podcasts with Alan Shipnuck and/or been paying attention to golf for the last 15 years or so… you've heard them.

There's too much golf. Also, you've already heard/seen that stuff.

There's more positive Phil stuff than negative Phil stuff. The negative stuff is just bigger.

Just a big ol' "meh" from me, dawg.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Just a big ol' "meh" from me, dawg.

Same here. Reading narratives of how a golf round played out just doesn't work for me.

-Chris Brooks

I've blogged about my wanderings since 2003. I love roaming throughout the USA looking for remote public golf courses to play.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Chris Brooks said:

Same here. Reading narratives of how a golf round played out just doesn't work for me.

Yeah. Someone else's summary is also good (though I disagree a bit about the "Phil being awesome" saved the book):

"That book stunk and the only thing that saved it was the stories of Phil being awesome. Other than the first chapter with the Phil stories it read like a Wikipedia article with a bunch of creepy comments about women thrown in by Shipnuck."

I'm about half way though the audiobook. I find it pretty uninteresting to be honest, and I have been having trouble getting through it, even though I have about 2 hours a day dedicated to listening to audiobooks and podcasts.

I don't really like Phil at all, but in my opinion, there seems to be some bias added in by the author with phrases like "Phil just couldn't help himself..." describing a dumb thing Phil did.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I don't really like Phil at all, but in my opinion, there seems to be some bias added in by the author with phrases like "Phil just couldn't help himself..." describing a dumb thing Phil did.

He editorializes on the good things, too, though.

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

He editorializes on the good things, too, though.

That's true - Shipnuck doesn't hold back praising the good things Phil has done in and out of golf.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

I haven't read the book and don't intend to.  But one thing I do recall from the Feherty show interview with Phil, is that Phil repeatedly would say "that's just the way I roll." (So much that I found it annoying and still remember it.)

What you wrote sounds similar.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I borrowed the e book from the library, and, so far not very impressed. Phil just seems like a human. Some good, and some not so good. The writing is average at best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandy Divot said:

I borrowed the e book from the library, and, so far not very impressed. Phil just seems like a human. Some good, and some not so good. The writing is average at best. 

I listened to the book as well and I thought it was pretty tame considering really no drugs or debauchery. I liked Phil better after I read the book. I knew very little about the early years.  He's alluded to getting help for gambling, hope so.  The "Masters clubhouse guys" story was touching.

• Like 1

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

• Administrator
9 hours ago, mohearn said:

I liked Phil better after I read the book.

You think what he's doing with the Saudis is good, and doesn't negate much of the good he's done?

10 hours ago, iacas said:

You think what he's doing with the Saudis is good, and doesn't negate much of the good he's done?

I told my wife yesterday that all the goodwill that Phil built up over a 30+ year career went away in a matter of days.

13 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't thin it negates it. Do I think it was immature to run his mouth about the saudi's, yeah sure, but that doesn't really change the big picture, in my opinion.  

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema