IGNORED

Playing by the Rules

Mkgrady

This isn't really a reply to the OP, but for those who want a real quick introduction to the Rules, I suggest clocking on "The Rules of Golf Explained Videos" here:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/education.html

These videos are just a minutes or two apiece, and explain some of the basics.  The Rules Topic Overviews are also pretty good explanations, and provide links to the actual Rule being discussed.  And if you want to learn how well (or poorly) you understand the Rules, take a few of the Rules Quizzes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, iacas said:

That's not entirely true.

At the U.S. Senior Open qualifier, Joey Sindelar asked Dave what club he hit off the tee on a par three right after Dave hit and they were walking off the tee.

Completely legal.

Ah so its ok as long as both people have hit already it doesn't count as advice?

Duh, that makes total sense. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
1 hour ago, klineka said:

Ah so its ok as long as both people have hit already it doesn't count as advice?

Duh, that makes total sense. 

Yeah, it can't influence his play.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Dang, I was hoping this was a reference to Arnold Palmer's book.

Pre-2019, there was also a great book about the principles of the rules of golf.  It helped me understand the idea behind some of the rules.  I haven't checked if it was updated for the current set of rules. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I played with an 11 handicap in a league last week. He arrived at his ball in the fairway and picked it up. My shocked reaction, "whoah, you can't touch your ball!" 

He said he was identifying it. I responded that you have to mark or it's a one stroke penalty. His response, "this is not the US Open!"

My response, "it's still golf." 

In hindsight, games have rules. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/26/2022 at 8:34 PM, Shindig said:

Pre-2019, there was also a great book about the principles of the rules of golf.  It helped me understand the idea behind some of the rules.  I haven't checked if it was updated for the current set of rules. 

You can still get it, but it hasn't been revised (yet).  The website says its discontinued:

PG1960_20Principles_20Behind_20The_20Rul

USGA Members, please sign in to receive your Member discount: Sign In SALE - 50% Off Discontinued This 72-page booklet is an update to the original version of The Principles Behind The Rules of Golf, according to the...

• Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

15 hours ago, reidsou said:

I played with an 11 handicap in a league last week. He arrived at his ball in the fairway and picked it up. My shocked reaction, "whoah, you can't touch your ball!" 

He said he was identifying it. I responded that you have to mark or it's a one stroke penalty. His response, "this is not the US Open!"

How did whoever runs competitions for your league react to this?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

15 hours ago, reidsou said:

I remember my old club pro going through something like this with our club championship one year. The next year, he sat at a table by the first tee with a whole bunch of Sharpies and made sure each one of marked our balls before we teed off. 

2 hours ago, Shindig said:

How did whoever runs competitions for your league react to this?

Too informal of a league. He didn't take the penalty. Didn't win anything either though. (My reaction was just instinct.)

Don't appreciate his approach to the rules. They're not optional. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 8:03 AM, Big Lex said:

Another one I've seen more than a few times - I actually am not 100% sure this is a violation, but I think it is - is people who mark their ball by putting the marker actually on the spot where the ball was resting, literally underneath the ball. It looks really odd to me when someone does this, and I think the rules say you're supposed to mark behind or adjacent to the ball. 

Calling someone for THIS rules violation would probably not go over very well.....)

In order to mark *under* it, the ball would have to be moved before marking. Also, it is impossible to replace on its spot while it remains marked. That is a one stroke penalty (or maybe 2 strokes - one for moving the ball and one for moving the marker). See rules 9.4b and 13.1b. Similar to the penalty for rotating the ball in place without marking. 

Regarding calling a penalty - did the player potentially gain an advantage? It sounds like yes, because this mark/replace procedure would allow the player to move the ball slightly. (See Lexi Thompson.)