IGNORED

Do you buy golf balls?

Note: This thread is 5825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you buy golf balls?

• Always
    • Never
    • Sometimes

I maybe buy 1 or 2 dozen balls a year and get the rest from tournament prizes and vendors at work.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy them. I don't even play with the ones I buy after they get all beat up, why would I wan't to use someone else's castaways? Though it probably wouldn't adversly impact my scores, lol.

you're a 36 handicap lollolololol.. why the hell would you care what balls you paly? get off the course and go to the range until you break a 20 handicap

I live on a golf course and my back yard is in the perfect place for slices and pushes off of the tee. In season, I find anywhere from 3-7 balls in my yard every day. Lots of ProV1s, Callaway HX tours, Titleist NXTs, Nike Ones and a few Top Flites, as well as two piece balls of many brands.

Unless they leave Srixon Z-URS or Z-URCs, I either toss them onto the course or give them away to friends. I don't like switching balls because I feel it makes the short game inconsistent.

I used to toss them in a bucket on my porch but never wanted the balls. Last year, my wife got sick of seeing all of the balls, so she cleaned them all, sorted them by brand then put them in baggies. When this was done, she counted 22 dozen balls! She then put them in a couple boxes under a tree on the course with a sign that read "Free to Good Home! Help yourself."

I was playing that day and took one of my playing partners to show him this. All of the balls and boxes were gone. I think this was an hour after she put them out. I'd guess someone got greedy and took most or even all of them.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

you're a 36 handicap lollolololol.. why the hell would you care what balls you paly? get off the course and go to the range until you break a 20 handicap

The amount of idiocy (to say nothing of the grammatical shortcomings) in that post is astounding.

Making general assumptions about a person's entire game based entirely on a handicap number has always been beyond me. What if I hit GIR nearly every hole, and 3-4 putt everything? What if I slice my tee shots and long irons OB a lot, but have a good short game? What if I always start the round near par, but shoot poorly on the back from fatigue? There are many reasons one might chose one ball over another to complement the part of the game they excel at while working to improve their trouble areas. One of my pet peeves is people assuming that because you have a higher handicap your entire game must suck and you should just go play with garden tools and whiffle balls because, "what difference will it make? He's just a 36 handicap after all". The opinions expressed in this program do not necessarily reflect those of The Sand Trap staff, old ladies, small children or domestic animals.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

The amount of idiocy (to say nothing of the grammatical shortcomings) in that post is astounding.

I am totally with you. It is beyond me to what 1337 can say just based upon what someone else has.

All very interesting. My dad and I have never bought golf balls in our life, but we each have won numerous dozens in tournaments. But we just tossed em into our garage, so even though they were top of the line when we won them, they are pieces of crap now. Every 6 months or so i have to empty most of the balls out of my bag bacause I average about 2 more balls found than lost each round. I tried counting how many balls we had in the tub we keep them in, but stopped at 800.

905R 10.5* Aldila NV 65
904F 15* Graphite Design YS-6+
NVG2 UT 17* Fujikura Triple Action
755 3-PW Trispec steel
52/08, 58/08 rac TP Wicked putter (model 1)

playing spring golf, i play balls i find, its really annoying so many hackers play top flites and nooodles cuz that's what i've been finding

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

- If you hit every green in reg, you would have to 5-7 putt everything, meaning that you would be more successful spending your time practicing putting than worrying about the ball you play

- If you slice your tee shots and irons OB alot, enough to give you a 36 handicap, then im guessing its every shot, and your time should be spent on your swing, not choosing a golf ball- and your short game cant be that good if you still have a 36 handicap - If you start the round near par and lose it on the back.. thats about a 36 on the front, and a 76 on the back.. you need to work on your stamina, mental game, go to the gym.. WHEN YOU ARE A 36h. THE BALL YOU PLAY IS THE VERY, VERY, VERY LEAST OF YOUR CONCERNS. sorry to be blunt

Normally I buy. Rarely new ones. I have, over the last couple seasons, started buying used golf balls on Ebay.

If they claim "AAA" or "AA" grade, or better, they are usually in great shape. Looking like they were just unsleeved.

But, I usually buy some cheaper ones, like Ultras, box of 18 for $20. Or Maxfli's, not even Noodles!!!, but cheaper. These are for the rounds I don't know how to play, or have forgotten how to swing correctly, or I'm on a new course and don't want to waste my better quality balls.

I hardly ever keep ones I find, except for decent Titleists, and/or for the above mentioned situations.

Yes, I do. However, If I lose a ball, I will sometimes pick up one I find near me if I am using a cart and don't have any on me. Funily enough, whenever It is important, I always find the top flites

Well, he should play whatever balls he prefers and can afford to acquire. So should everyone. Maybe he's a 36 because he counts EVERY stroke including penalties, never takes a gimme and and plays by the letter of the law. That approach would make many 18-29 handicappers come in over 30. hmmmm...

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I do a bit of both, but more play the ones i find rather than buy.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

How do you get better if you don't go to the golf course? What do you know to work on? Just beating balls is not going to drop your handicap. You need to find your weaknesses and work on them.

Secondly, did you think, just for a moment, that perhaps he is using balls not suited for his game? Just maybe, he is using a ball that he can't compress, that spins too much? These would factor in him not controlling his ball, resulting in bad scores.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Well, he should play whatever balls he prefers and can afford to acquire. So should everyone. Maybe he's a 36 because he counts EVERY stroke including penalties, never takes a gimme and and plays by the letter of the law. That approach would make many 18-29 handicappers come in over 30. hmmmm...

I do indeed. I've lost 15 strokes a round before to lakes, lol.

I'm guessing I'm more like a 25 on the new plateau I seem to have reached. I've been playing low spin balls in an attempt to not exacerbate my tendency to add undue side spin off the tee.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

I do indeed. I've lost 15 strokes a round before to lakes, lol.

Pin,

In addition to playing the lower spin balls, take a look at the shaft on your driver. You might want to look at the torque, weight and kickpoint. These could be factors on why you are generating too much side spin. It was for me.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Well I buy them when I have no good quality ones that are to be used in comps.
Or I use my ball credits to get free ones.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

The company I work for always has a case or two of Pro V1's with logos that we use to give to customers. When I am in need, I just grab a dozen or two of those. I know a lot people don't like using logo balls, but you can't argue with free.

I will use the decent balls I find to play in scramble tournaments so I can try and bomb off the tee and not worry about losing them, or even bother looking for them unless they are in the fairway.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Note: This thread is 5825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!