IGNORED

2022 U.S. Open at The Country Club, Brookline, MA

Friz

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

He’s been a top player for a number of years and has not performed in very many big events.

Will Zalatoris has already had significantly more success in majors than he has.

Undeniably true. But his win total has certainly been trending upward, and I detect increased swagger. I don’t think anyone will be that shocked if he does take a major at some point. Or, as you pointed out elsewhere, if Zalatoris DOESN’T, because Will could be the next sad Rickie Fowler. So much chance / fate involved.

But once you have a major, wow! I like what Fitzy said in his presser, that he would fall back on it in the future when he was feeling stressed or blue, because after all it can’t be taken away. I have something like that in my own life, and it is SUCH a bedrock. 

A couple of post-Open thoughts on players: 

(1) I understand competitive fire and all, and I’m a big Rory fan, but I think he needs to lighten up a little with his poor, poor pitiful me “Top 5 in a major, who cares” routine. Dude, you’ve got FOUR of the things already, and you won the Canadian Open ONE WEEK AGO, what, you expect to win every week? 🙂

(2) You can just tell that Jon Rahm, whom I also like, is not going to take the downslope of his career well, and by “downslope” I mean every minute he spends outside the Top 10 OWGR. I know that he has been trying to lighten up himself, but when that cloud forms on his brow it’s kind of scary. 

Edited by PatrickMurtha