IGNORED

How Do You Track Your Stats?

Javaman
Note: This thread is 3625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In the May Golf Digest there is an article on page 138 entitled "Focus on Your Faults" and it deals with, among other things, tracking your personal stats when playing. The author has his own program called ShotByShot that "..breaks down a round into specific areas and interpolates a player's performance in each."

I am wondering if any of you have your own unique system by which you track your own stats, and if so, are you willing to share with the rest of the community? Also, how do you use it towards improving your performance? Please share with us!

I used to track my stats on GIR, Putts, Up & Down % on missed greens, etc, but the way I had it set up was really pretty lame and I lost interest in my own system due to it's cumbersome nature and lack of genuine value.

I am about to check out the ShotByShot.com website and also the tracker provided by GolfDigest.com/Tracker. However, I am keen to see what anyone has come up with on their own!

Thanks to all who are willing to share their systems or comments with me and everyone else regarding this topic.

Javaman

• Administrator
http://cynicalpeak.com/scorecard/ - click one of the banners you see on this forum for a coupon to save 20%.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a spread-sheet I used the last couple years, but I bought the scorecard app from cynical peak. for the price, you can't beat it.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I also bought the scorecard software and like it a lot.

I found this http://www.golfwits.com/player_pc.asp and think it is awesome looking but the cost of 8.99 per courses could add up quickly. However you can print a nice course book and combine that with a GPS and it would be a great tool.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

I use greenskeeper.org I can also choose my home course and see my stats for each hole and what I need to work on.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Absolutely, as you can see I purchased the Scorecard and it does what I want. I review it after every round to see what area is doing better and others that need improvement. I've tried online stats but I keep forgetting to use it or I have to pay annually, which I personally like to own it for years of use.

DR: Insight XTD Pro DF2400X 9.5 w/YSQ AD 65g S-flex
4W: Insight 16.5 Stiff
3,4 Hybrid: Idea Pro
5I - GW: Idea Pro -1 degree
SW: RST-DSG 56LW: RST-DSG 60Putter: Newport 2 DetourBall: TP Red

I have a somewhat unique way of gathering data on the course. I record two (optionally 3) pieces of data regarding every shot I take.

1) Distance from the pin
2) Club
3) Anything 'weird' going on (behind a tree, in a bunker, etc)

So a well-played par 4 would read ....

D,7i-151;22-2

I hit driver off the tee (yardage from card unless I over-ride). I then hit a 7i from 151 yards. I must have hit the green as my next shot was a putt from 22' (two putted holing out a 2 footer).

That same hole played badly might read.

D,4i-175-B,LW-25-L;55-5-1

In this case I hit driver off the tee into a bunker (note the "B" on the next shot), a 4i from the bunker from 175 yards, a LW was hit from 25 yards from the pin with a lie problem ("L" - probably bad lie in the rough), and 3 putted from 55'.

I put this data (pretty much in that exact form - one record per hole) into MS Access and do database queries to get whatever data I want. I routinely track driving distance, GIR's, pitching/chipping, driving accuracy, and putting. But if I have more specific questions about almost anything the data is available if needed.

For example a long while ago I was considering adding a gap wedge. It was easy to go back through my data and pull out all the PW shots that I was hitting from gap wedge distance. Turned out I hit those pretty well so I didn't get the gap wedge.

I use a very 'different from the norm' putting evaluation methodology but that is a story for a different thread.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

I have been using CaddieMasterPro for the past year and find it to be great for the basics. Fairways Hit, GIR, Putts, SandSaves etc. I was looking however at getting more detailed information on which direction I'm missing my clubs however. The Medicus E-Data Coach is a nice little unit, but it is still a little cumbersome and doesn't have a belt clip to keep the unit handy. At the 2008 golf show I heard they had a prototype that was GPS enabled as well which sounded great, but I would have to demo it to see if they got the usability issues taken care of. The hardest thing about getting detailed statistics is that you have to record every shot as you are playing, and in the muni world I play in, I find that it takes a fair amount of time to capture the info and I feel rushed. Hopefully the interface will get worked out, so that it is easier, quicker, and handier to use. Hope the info helps.

David C.
N3XT

David C. Cleveland

In My Bag:

Driver: Big Bertha 4603 Wood: Big BerthaHybrid: Rescue Dual 3 19 degreeIrons: Big Bertha 2006Wedges: x forged mdPutter: 33 inch Natalie center shaftedBall: HX TourHome Course: Wellshire Golf Course, Denver, COVisit my musings at...

The Scorecard software has a section in the manual about how to keep your stats. I find it easy to do and only takes a minute between holes.

I copied it, then made a couple of changes then printed it on the back of my distance chart so in case I forgot what to do I had it handy.

Here is a pdf of my Scorecard cheat sheet if you want it.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

I have a ParFormance book that I keep out on the course. Then I enter it into the Scorecard software. You can click my scorecards button below to see my latest rounds. I love it. I've learned a wonderful stat....when I hit better than 50% of greens I shoot 80 or better (duh!)

The Scorecard software has a section in the manual about how to keep your stats. I find it easy to do and only takes a minute between holes.

I'm very interested in this Scorecard cheat sheet, infact I just printed it out. I do not yet have scorecard...I'm currently using Digital Divot. Could you tell me what statistic is generated with the 'distances of your first putt' (second line)?

Hi-Bore 9.5° w/ UST pro-force v2 Stiff
Halo 1i 16°
Halo 3i 22°
735.cm 4-PW
Vokey 52.8, Vokey Spin-Milled 56.10, 60.4 Sophia 32" or Studio Design 1 34"

• Administrator
I'm very interested in this Scorecard cheat sheet, infact I just printed it out. I do not yet have scorecard...I'm currently using Digital Divot. Could you tell me what statistic is generated with the 'distances of your first putt' (second line)?

A few stats are generated from that. Average distance to the hole when you hit a GIR is one of them. Average distance for a sand save and up and down attempt are two more.

If your average distance when you attempt a sand save is 20 feet, you probably need to work on your bunker game. Same with your pitching/chipping if your up and downs are leaving you long putts. You might get up and down only 10% of the time, but is it because of bad bunker/pitching/chipping play or bad putting?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 11 months later...

What's your way of keeping track of fairways hit, GIR, putts, score etc during a round, while out there on the course?

I'm relatively new to golf, in that although I get plenty of opportunity to get to a driving range and do so often, opportunities to play rounds are few and far between. As such, I've found my initial experiences fairly rushed, and easy to lose track of score, let alone fairways hit, GIR etc. (Especially with my leaky old memory)

My game on the course is starting to come together now and I'd like to keep better track -- what system do you have for marking your scorecards, or keeping a separate little book to do this (eg p. 129 of March Golf Magazine)?

Do any of you keep track on a stroke by stroke basis. Sometimes, by the time I've done putting, I flat out forget how many strokes I took to get there. Talk about living in the moment. (Nice problem to have if it was more than 5 strokes, I guess, but not cool really )

Any suggestions welcome.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

What's your way of keeping track of fairways hit, GIR, putts, score etc during a round, while out there on the course?

check out the program "Scorecard" that I believe Iacas put together. He explains an efficient method that you can record all your stats on the paper scorecard that you use during the round...and then you can input the info into the program to analyze the stats. its fairly inexpensive as well.

http://cynicalpeak.com/scorecard/

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

He explains an efficient method that you can record all your stats on the paper scorecard that you use during the round...

Thanks, that's a pretty clean looking little method.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Note: This thread is 3625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!