IGNORED

2022 OH/PA/NY/MI TST Outing - July 30th @ Reserve Run (OH)

8 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

As a rule a quota game helps you learn if you have a true handicap or vanti-cap... 🤪

I now see how quota works, but still given fact that all golfers will have scores both above and below HCP one round will not confirm if I am a Vanity Capper or a Sand Bagger.  I guess that will depend on how much money is at stake 😁

Learn how to play a quota golf tournament, including the points awarded and how to determine the winner.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Any thoughts on which tees we may play?  I was looking at the score card and the black tees (back tees) are only @ 6162 yards with a 68.9/117 rating/slope.  I typically play my league course at 6208 yards and 69.3/119 which seems similar but I seldom see myself playing the "Tips".    I really do not care, just curious.

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Quota (60% winner, 40% 2nd place / $10 out of the $20)

DB or worse: 0, Bogey: 1, Par: 2, Birdie: 4, Eagle: 7
Players quota = 36 - Handicap
Winner is golfer that exceeds their handicap the most. 

Skins (w/ Handicap, $5 out of the $20)
Skins (w/o Handicap, $5 out of the $20)

Please bring 5's and 1's to make payouts easier. 

If anyone else has suggestions, please feel free to mention. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

What % of handicap?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

What % of handicap?

I would say 95% since it is closest to an individual stableford type of system. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I would say 95% since it is closest to an individual stableford type of system. 

Really? Okay. It’s your event.

😉

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

Really? Okay. It’s your event.

😉

Apparently my knowledge of adequate handicap adjustment is lacking, if I am getting that response.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Apparently my knowledge of adequate handicap adjustment is lacking, if I am getting that response.

Nah. Just giving you shit. It's helpful to lower handicappers if it's like 70% or 85%. 😉

But since it's your gross scores… it's not too bad.

10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I know I'm going to be able to make it but wouldn't it be easier to Venmo/Paypal, etc you the money beforehand and you can pay it out like using the same method?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

I know I'm going to be able to make it but wouldn't it be easier to Venmo/Paypal, etc you the money beforehand and you can pay it out like using the same method?

Cash is universal. Venmo ain't.

On 7/14/2022 at 9:42 AM, RFKFREAK said:

Really pains me but I have to bow out, too.  One of my pets had surgery recently and although she's recovering well, I have to give her meds every 12 hours and after the follow-up this week the doctor pretty much told me since I'm her sole caretaker that it wouldn't be good for me to be away for more than a day.

Bring her with you. 😁

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I hate to say this, but I have to mark myself as tentative. My back has locked up on me after taking a nap following a scramble today. Right now, I cant bend over with out my back saying no to me. 

I’m going to try to get it in shape by next Saturday, but if stays like this the best I can do is come out and hang out. Which I will still do. I don’t mind paying the tee time to just hang out.

• Booooooooo 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Reserve Run does not have a practice range but there is one at Firestone Farms @ 15 min north of the course.  

If my drive goes well I may go there to limber up a little.

Stuart M.

• Administrator

I'm suggesting to Matt a change of plans to a two-man team game (where I don't play as the odd numbered #11 guy). I'm messaging him now with ideas on teams and thus groupings.

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I hate to say this, but I have to mark myself as tentative. My back has locked up on me after taking a nap following a scramble today. Right now, I cant bend over with out my back saying no to me. 

I’m going to try to get it in shape by next Saturday, but if stays like this the best I can do is come out and hang out. Which I will still do. I don’t mind paying the tee time to just hang out.

Might have been presumptive of me, lol. Luckily the back released, so got good range of motion back in. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

I can be lobbied for the team handicaps, and they can be adjusted by @saevel25 given the game(s) he decides to play.

Team 1: @Greenshirt100 and @brockman21 (5)
Team 2: @vasaribm and @BradSomrak (8)
Team 3: @Slim_Pivot and @bjfox10 (5)
Team 4: @saevel25 and @RJohn23 (6)
Team 5: @ChetlovesMer and @StuM (15)
Extra: @iacas

As i said, I can be lobbied a bit, but I think those handicaps are relatively fair. And I'm not playing in the game(s), so I'm not giving myself an advantage or disadvantage. 😄

And I talked with Matt, and we're going to do something we did in Sand Valley. It's a team game. It's $10 each, net and gross (so the same $20 each). Payouts are to three teams: $25, $15, $10. Here's how it works.

You must count 12 scores out of the 18. The score for a hole is the combined score of both players on your team. For the net game, you take the handicap stroke (one) for your team if you get one. For the gross game… it's just your team score. So that scores on par threes are not favored over scores on par fives (we played this on the Sandbox, which is all par threes), the scores relative to par are what count. If you make a 4 and a 5 on a par five, your score for the hole is -1 gross.

You must indicate that you're counting the hole before you begin playing the next hole. Since you have to count 12 scores, that means you can only skip out on counting six holes. Let's hope they're not the first six, because then you're counting every score from there on out!

As a bonus (and to help the teams with some higher handicappers), on one hole per nine, the team can elect to double one player's score, net and gross. So if someone makes a birdie on a par five and the partner makes a 9, they can take the 4x2 = -2 and they can take the handicap stroke for a -3 on the hole (if it's a hole on which they get a stroke). They must announce this at the same time that they announce they're taking the hole.

I think that's pretty clear. I'll help Matt mark up the cards to make it obvious, but… you'll keep the other team's card. Gross scores up top, net and gross to par below. Circle the holes that count. Star the one per nine that they doubled up.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Administrator

Sorry, @StuM, for the work you put into figuring out the quota game. 😉

Also, here's the NCRDB page for Reserve Run: https://ncrdb.usga.org/courseTeeInfo.aspx?CourseID=4838.

I think everyone will play the black tees, 6162 yards, and 68.9/117.