IGNORED

2022 OH/PA/NY/MI TST Outing - July 30th @ Reserve Run (OH)

Below are the groups, with the tee times. 

Group 1 (1:28p)
@ChetlovesMer and @StuM 
@Slim_Pivot and @bjfox10 

Group 2 (1:36p)
@Greenshirt100 and @brockman21 
@vasaribm and @BradSomrak 

Group 3 (1:44p)
@saevel25 and @RJohn23
Extra: @iacas

I will be calling tomorrow to cancel the 4th tee time slot. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

You must count 12 scores out of the 18. The score for a hole is the combined score of both players on your team. For the net game, you take the handicap stroke (one) for your team if you get one. For the gross game… it's just your team score. So that scores on par threes are not favored over scores on par fives (we played this on the Sandbox, which is all par threes), the scores relative to par are what count. If you make a 4 and a 5 on a par five, your score for the hole is -1 gross.

You must indicate that you're counting the hole before you begin playing the next hole. Since you have to count 12 scores, that means you can only skip out on counting six holes. Let's hope they're not the first six, because then you're counting every score from there on out!

As a bonus (and to help the teams with some higher handicappers), on one hole per nine, the team can elect to double one player's score, net and gross. So if someone makes a birdie on a par five and the partner makes a 9, they can take the 4x2 = -2 and they can take the handicap stroke for a -3 on the hole (if it's a hole on which they get a stroke). They must announce this at the same time that they announce they're taking the hole.

Alot there but seems fairly simple in the end. Works for me  👍

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Sorry, @StuM, for the work you put into figuring out the quota game. 😉

No work, just google

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
(edited)

This is the scorecard I'll print for everyone. You can keep your own scores on the course-provided scorecards.

Does this card make sense? Does anyone have any questions about this?

image.jpeg

P.S. I made small formatting changes, alignment, etc. to the spreadsheet, and may between now and Saturday, too, but this format should be pretty good.

Edited by iacas
Spreadsheet Errors, Thanks Stu and Chet

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Took another stab at it because apparently when you write "E" in a spreadsheet, getting the SUM of nine numbers including the "E" throws off the math somehow.

think this one is more correct, though I've done it quickly again, so… the point is to just show the general format. It's easier to get right in person because you're only worrying about one hole at a time.

rr_filled.jpg

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thank  you to everyone that has put this together. I'm good with the format and the cash. I'm looking forward to the get together!

• Thumbs Up 1

Brandon Fox

Rochester, NY

• Administrator

So no complaints about the handicaps? I mean, I think they're pretty fair, but… I didn't apply a formula or anything to them. Just based on what I know from a lot of you.

I'll probably be there around 12:30 with @RJohn23 and @bjfox10.

• Administrator

Weather looks good. Really ready for this!

• Like 1

if traffic cooperates I hope to be in the area @ 11am.  There is a range at Firestone Farms about 15 min north and I may hit a few to loosen up after the 4 hour drive if anyone cares to hit a few.

On 7/28/2022 at 4:41 PM, iacas said:

So no complaints about the handicaps? I mean, I think they're pretty fair, but… I didn't apply a formula or anything to them. Just based on what I know from a lot of you.

I'll probably be there around 12:30 with @RJohn23 and @bjfox10.

I’m ok with whatever, I figure I am donating to the cause no matter what.

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Enjoyed seeing everyone. Great day for golf. Thanks to @saevel25 for setting everything up. Look forward to the next one. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Results

1st Place NET & Gross: Mark & Brock
2nd Place NET & Gross: Zach & Brandon
3rd Place NET: Matt & Ryan
3rd Place Gross: Bryan & Brad

Here is a summary of the scorecards. I highlighted everything by teams. I also highlighted the cells where teams used a single score twice. At the bottom is how the holes were counted for the scores. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 8.30.51 PM.png

It looked like everyone was really patient with using what holes to count for the scoring. All teams had at least 4 holes left, with 5 holes to play. The least holes used was #12 and #13, with only two instances of a team taking a score on those holes. Outside needing to use scores average hole 14, two of the par 5's saw the most counted (holes #6 and #10). 

First Group
IMG_0937.png

Second Group
IMG_0945.png

Third Group
IMG_0948.png

Thank you all for driving down, it was a fun time. I am glad the weather decided to bring us one of the best days to play golf so far this summer. I look forward to seeing you all at the next golf outing! 

Thanks again for setting it up. 

It was a great time. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Great time.  Nice to meet more TST friends.

Thx to @saevel25for putting together……..and to @iacasfor doing some math 🤪

• Funny 1

Stuart M.

Hey @StuM, I'm pretty sure I got scolded by @iacas for your math errors.  😁

Always enjoy these events. Glad to see you made it home safely StuM. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Hey @StuM, I'm pretty sure I got scolded by @iacas for your math errors.  😁

Always enjoy these events. Glad to see you made it home safely StuM. 

True on the scolding, but that was more a failure to follow instructions, not math.  I was referring to the calculation of the prize payouts.

Got home @ 10:40.  Drive was good until I got to Detroit and had to watch out for a bunch idiots on the road.  I think one guy was 100mph weaving through traffic, and then a motorcycle passing between the lanes along with assorted other aggressive drivers..  All while I was my most tired and least interested in being on high alert.

Stuart M.

When posting my score to GHIN this morning it would not accept the Hole-By-Hole scores because it said Course/tee as par or stroke index data no available.  I've never run into that before.  

OK, before I get chastised, I know I am to post "Same Day".

Stuart M.

Ok, crunching some numbers... Below is the optimal strategy for each team and their outcomes. Since a lot of holes had a lot of repeated numbers, for a few teams, the strategy would not change. You would be subbing out a +1 for like 3 other +1 scores. 

Gross
Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 3.41.25 PM.png

Net
Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 3.39.48 PM.png

*The darkened holes are the optimal ones that should have been selected. 
** Red are holes that should have been doubled. 

• Mark & Brock: Optimized (*Note, I found a discrepancy on their scoresheet. They should have been a -7 not a -8. They counted a handicap hole they should not have. They still claimed 1st in both Net & Gross, thought they did turn in an incorrect scorecard... 😉).
  • Zach & Brandon: Missed out on two strokes on Net and Gross.
  • Matt & Ryan: Missed out on two strokes Net & Gross.
  • Bryan & Brad: Missed out on two strokes Net & Gross.
  • Chet & Stuart: Missed out on three strokes Net & Gross

In general, teams should have used up some holes earlier just because most of the scores will be either +2, +1, or Par. With that distribution shifting up to more +1 and Par for net, due to handicap.  

The best strategy might be to save holes for where you get a stroke on. On this course, maybe you get to hole #15 with 2 holes needed left. 

Here is a breakdown of Gross Scores (without doubling a single score)
image.png

Using a single score twice had a pretty big influence on score. general, the total scores got about 4 strokes worse if we did not include using a single score twice per 9 holes. 

Here are the scores, if each team optimized, and we didn't use a single score once per 9 holes. 

For Gross
image.png

For Net

image.png

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: