IGNORED

My volunteering experience, 2008 Barclays

blue3715
Note: This thread is 5692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Man that sounds like fun...
TAYLORMADE FOR LIFE!
DRIVER: R5 Dual TP 10.5* Matrix Ozik Stiff
3 WOOD: Tour Burner 14.5* Matrix XCon5 Stiff
HYBRIDS: Tour Burner Hybrids 20* 23* Matrix XCon5 Stiff
IRONS: MB Smoke 5i-PW Project X Flighted 6.0WEDGES: Z TP 50.06(bent) 54.10 60.06PUTTER: Newport Studio Select 33.75"BALL: TP...

Interesting read. thanks for the thread!

♠ In the bag ♠
Driver► R7 SuperQuad 10.5º, ProForce V2 X
3 Wood► Steelhead III 15º
Hybrid► 2008 Baffler Pro 18º 2/R
Irons 3-P► 2008 Pro CB, Project X 6.0, +¼", 2° UpWedges► 52° RTG+DSG, 58º RTG+DSGPutter► White Hot Tour #1Ball► Pro V1xWhere I play:...

I was there on Thursday. I wonder if I saw you. haha!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I'll be at Liberty National next year. Likely Thurs-Sunday.. no full day Wednesday this time, probably half day. I don't know if it'll be a pro/am or just practice round.

It's a long day no matter what you do. Walking scorer usually goes first. The walking scorer is told to remain near the marshall at the tee, 50 yards behind the players on the hole, and near the exit lane on the green. So they do get a good view but not totally up close.

Walking scorer used a hand held palm pilot type device. I looked at it.. very easy to use. You just pick the player, where they are (trap, rough, green, etc), and once they hit you press the "hit ball" button. It looked fairly easy to use, so it takes some attention.

I am sure to pick an early hole to marshall, but one that requires a good hit from the players.. these holes usually get lots of spectators.. but not the par 3's as the spectators sit in the stands.. and then as the marshall you are standing all alone like a statue.

I've looked at the Liberty website, there is a nice overview of the holes. I've picked the ones I prefer. An early hole is first choice, so I can go over to 18 and marshall that the 2nd half of the day.

I've thought about walking scorer, but there really isn't too much down time, you always have to watch where you are walking, and need to be paying attention. Standard bearer is a possibility, but it's quite easy to get a noname player, and you are walking with 20 spectators watching someone play you don't really care to watch.

Marshalls tend to get the most respect and interaction with the fans. It's probably the only position where you don't get a 2-way radio.

For the best committee with little to do on course is the (player) evacuation committee. If the weather is nice, you don't drive anyone off the course, and you can walk around and watch the golf. If you want to be left alone, this is your best bet. I did it at Baltusrol in 2005 for the PGA Champ. It was boring so I helped out the marshall's on a few holes.

I think I'm sold on being a marshall. One other committee is on-course transportation. You get a headset/radio and you drive people from here to there... Liberty National hole #10 is far from the clubhouse, so on Thusday and Friday you would be driving players out to #10 and back from #9 (as half the field tees off from the back). You dont get a ton of golf to watch, but then again don't volunteer for all 4 days then.

One last thing... major mistake people do is work on thursday and friday and watch on saturday/sunday. While you do see the final holes on sunday, there's half the amount of players out there. If you want to see a lot of players and a lot of golf, watch the thursday/friday rounds. 144 guys means 48 groups of three. On Saturday it's top 72 and ties, so likely just 38 groups of two. It's much less golf.

Any other committees you which to know about?

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

I caddy at Ridgewood. Absolutely love my job.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

Fun time, isn't it? Couldn't do this weekend, but I've done the Sybase at Upper Montclair a couple of times. Go for the standard bearer job. Best one on the course. You get to follow a two- or threesome for the entire 18 holes, from pre shot routine to course management. Even if you aren't with big name players, it's a real education. And the standard bearer, unlike the walking scorer, doesn't have to think (though I usually help out on that as well).

My brother caddied in the Sybase for a local pro, he said it was an awesome. I might volunteer for the 09 U.S. Open at the Black, it might be fun.

In the Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-5
3 Wood: Ping G10
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue TP(3)
Irons: Mizuno MX25(3-PW)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin-Milled 54 and 60Putter: Odyssey Black Series #1

Thanks for posting your experience. I live in Colorado Springs as was thinking about volunteering for the US Senior Open at the Broadmoor this year but missed the opportunity to sign up. I am planning on volunteering for the US Women's Open which comes here in 2011.

909D-Comp
909F-2
585H Hybrids
755 Irons
Vokey Wedges 2-Ball F7 B330S

I am planning on volunteering for the US Women's Open which comes here in 2011.

Definitely, do it! Inside the ropes is the only place to be.

WITB
Driver--PING Rhapsody, 16*
Fairway Wood--PING Rhapsody 22*
Hybrids--Cobra Bafflers, 3 (23*), 6 (32*)
Irons--Callaway X-20, 7-AW SW--Wilson ProstaffLW--Nancy LopezPutter--Bettinardi HawkBalls--Pinnacle Gold DistanceBags--Datrek IDS (cart), Sun Mountain 3.5 (carry)

Ummm . . . nevermind.

Don't mind Harry--he's harmless.

WITB
Driver--PING Rhapsody, 16*
Fairway Wood--PING Rhapsody 22*
Hybrids--Cobra Bafflers, 3 (23*), 6 (32*)
Irons--Callaway X-20, 7-AW SW--Wilson ProstaffLW--Nancy LopezPutter--Bettinardi HawkBalls--Pinnacle Gold DistanceBags--Datrek IDS (cart), Sun Mountain 3.5 (carry)

Note: This thread is 5692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!