IGNORED

You've missed the green, what do you chip/pitch with?

Note: This thread is 5762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. When you miss the green, what club do you chip/pitch with

• The same club everytime.
    • Mostly just one club, but occasionally use something different.
    • Every shot is unique so it may require a different club each time.

Almost always my 56 degree. I love it, nice, easy feel to it, and I have the most confidence with it. Rarely will I use anything else.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first grab is my 56. I'll go to the 52 if the lie is thick but I can get it down and running sooner. I'll go 60 if there's any kind of downhill or other reason for me to be afraid of it rolling away. I'll only go into the irons (8, 7, 6, e.g.) if I have a really flat, long run in front of me.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

If I have little green to work I use my 58° wedge to stop the ball quickly. If there's green to work I could use from my 54° wedge to a 9 iron, it depends.

Regards.

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

My sand wedge is my security blanket

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I rarely use anything stronger than a nine iron. 9, pw, gw, sw, putter. Depends on the situation. I tried the Tiger 3-wood shot greenside a few times but it didn't take.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I think this is where I lose all my strokes as my ball striking is ok it's just getting it close when I miss the green. I am trying to get some discipline to not just reach of the 60 degree and pop it up, rather to learn the advantages in the 8 iron, or even the Texas Wedge when it is called for.
KGC- edge bag
580 XD 9.5* harrison striper Ti S
// v-steel 15* S//rescue 17* S
710 AP 2 3 ir + 755 4- 9 S//vokey 200 48.06 / 54.14
sm
60.08// studio design 1 4*

I always use my PW for anything below about 140. My favorite club, can hit it high, low, drop and stop, etc...

I think I might hit my LW once every 2 rounds, only for a flopper. SW I just save for the sand, don't like the 12 degree bounce out of the fairway.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I chose the 'use the same club everytime' . . . see that I'm in the minority LOL. But here is the rationale, by getting used to one club and how to loft and deloft it, I get more focused on the shot and what really needs to be accomplished. I also will take pace off by hitting it toward the toe or add pace by hitting the sweet spot. When I used 3 different wedges I got lazy, now I just use a PW for all chips/pitches and the SW is just for sand . . . unless there is an extreme situation.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I think someone said it earlier...confidence. That seems most important to me.

Some guys get crafty with their clubs, some just know how to get crafty with the shot.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

It just depends for me. If the pin is in the back of the green and im close to the edge I like to bump and run. If it is close I still might bump or hit my 58 to have it check up a tad. Full pitches I hit to my ranges. 25 out I hit a half chip with the 54

• Administrator
If theres no rough and its dry, i'll Texas Wedge it as often as possible. A bad putt is always better than a bad chip.

And the best is the same: in the hole.

I agree. Only time I'll change that up is if the fringe is screwed up and might throw the ball all over the place.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I generally use my 60 spin milled around the greens unless it requires a lower shot i will use a 52. But once comfortable with the 60 I think it is your best bet if you can utilize low and flops with it.

My Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-5 Tour (Neutral)
Woods: Taylor Made r7 3 Wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged
Wedges: 52 degree Vokey, 56 Vokey Spin Milled, 60 Vokey Spin Milled
Putter: Odyssey White Hot
Balls: Pro V1

i voted "mostly one club, with an occasional change". its true every shot is different, but i like sticking with the 56 most of the time, just because i can predict it really well. the 60 comes into play once or twice a round, and the 52 i use for longer shots(90-115) or when i want more release on the green then the 56.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I played 18 holes yesterday and chipped with at least 3 different clubs. The 52° for long, running shots, the 60° for short-side or downhill chips, the 56° for shots in between, more loft for a ball sitting down in the grass, less for a tight lie, etc. I probably should have used one more: my PW for an uphill, medium length chip from an uphill lie. I used the 52° and it popped up more than I anticipated and stopped far short of the pin.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

The better I get the less I rely on the texas wedge, now I can pick a spot to land it on and use the club that will get it to that spot, before I couldn't chip well and texas wedged it all. Now my short game is much better.

58* all the way

In my Warbird Bag,
I have
Burner Driver 460cc 9.5* Stiff
Three and Five Woods
Precise- 21* and 24* hybridsCCi Cast Irons-4-AW 52* and 56*/14 Vokey 60*/8and i play TP Black or ProV1

Note: This thread is 5762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!