IGNORED

You've missed the green, what do you chip/pitch with?

Note:Β This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1. 1. When you miss the green, what club do you chip/pitch with

• The same club everytime.
    • Mostly just one club, but occasionally use something different.
    • Every shot is unique so it may require a different club each time.

If I don't have any green to work with I'll use a 56 degree and open the face a bit. If I have more green to work with ill usually hit a pitching wedge, and get it to bite after a few bounces.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5Β° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5Β°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20Β° IronwoodΒ 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51Β° MP-T Black Nickel ;Β 56Β° Vokey Spin MilledΒ 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic GripΒ 

Ball: Pro V1x

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

almost always my gap wedge. i think that you should be able to do multiple things with one club. the only time i will change is if i have almost no green to work with

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

For me, it depends on how far I want the ball to roll when it hits the green. Provided there's no forced carry (ie: a bunker or other hazard) I'll generally try to put the ball about a couple of feet on to the green and get it rolling pretty quickly. If I havent got much to work with its a lofted wedge. If theres plenty of distance to cover then something more like an 8 or a 7 iron.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

"Every shot is unique so it may require a different club each time."

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

Interesting stuff in this thread... I'm a real new player, and have a tendency to always grab my lob wedge because playing high shots is so much fun. Reading this once again reminds me it is about scoring... and you don't score with 50 foot high flops from 20 yards out!

On most pitches around the green where I have to carry rough or bunkers etc I use my 60 degree wedge but if I am just off the green on the fringe I use a PW and hit a chip and run.

In the bag:

driver Big Ben CS3 9.5ΒΊ
3-wood 906F4 15.5ΒΊ
hybrid rescue mid 19ΒΊirons: MP-60 3-PWwedges vokey spin-milled 54ΒΊ and 60ΒΊputter tracy IIball Pro V1

agree with the "get the ball rolling asap" but I do have one personal "rule"... Unless the ball is right on the collar, I use the next higher lofted club than I would normally use when the green is sloping away--no exceptions (for me). It seems it always runs out perfectly following this "rule".

-mark

It really depends on what you mean by missing the green. If I'm within 3-5 feet of the green I'll either use a putter or 8i. More than 5' and I use the 8i or PW.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayΓ’Β¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Every situation is different. Each one requires analysis and a judgment decision. I can use anything from a hybrid to a 60Β° LW. Probably the least used wedge for me is my SW... I prefer my GW for most pitches that require putting an arc on the ball flight, and PW or 9I for chips where I want to roll the ball on the green. The LW I only use when actually needed to hit high and land soft... it takes too much practice time to really get proficient with it for a multitude of shots, and I have other clubs that work better for those shots.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

it really depends for me. I'd rather chip up if i'm within 10 yards of the green..but if I have to pitch it, I'll pitch up with a 56. even if I have to play a flop shot...i'll most likely use my sand wedge... my lob wedge is the least used club in my bag.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Usually a Gap Wedge, but I may use my 58 if it requires a flop or a very short pitch that has to check fast. I will also use a putter sometimes when the grass between me and the hole is short enough.
Driver: 9.5Β° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.Β° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0Β° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0Β° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58Β° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I probably use my SW 75% of the time. If I'm short sided I'll use a LW and if I have more than usual amounts of green to work with I'll use my GW or 9 iron.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

I always bring my 52, 56 and 60 with me for any shot inside of 100 yds. I usually decide at the ball. 52 is my go to for chips, 56 for pitches, and 60 when I need some more loft/less roll. I try not to become too dependent on any one club, for confidence purposes I like to think that I am equally strong with all three and never fear using them.

I am a big fan of the Pelz Short Game Bible techniques. Really helped my game a lot.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

In my opinion always try to feel what is best for you. Some people tend to learn out techniques they like themselves, it's not always sure the people they teach like that. Might feel very wrong. So I'd say, go to a green and bring metalwoods, sandwedge, lobwedge, pitchingwedge and also your putter. Try one shot from different positions with each club and feel yourself to the right thing for yourself.

pitch with 58
chip with 54
if i'm short sided or downhill, i chip with 58

Launcher 460 10.5Β° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5Β° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20Β°, 23Β° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Note:Β This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!