IGNORED

You've missed the green, what do you chip/pitch with?

Note: This thread is 5740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. When you miss the green, what club do you chip/pitch with

• The same club everytime.
    • Mostly just one club, but occasionally use something different.
    • Every shot is unique so it may require a different club each time.

I used to be in the one club category with my 60* in high school, but in the past few years, I have learned to appreciate that every shot is different and I have to adapt to the conditions. It has dramatically increased my scoring around the greens, and lowered my scores greatly.

I know this exact story. In high school, I also used my 54* wedge, and just tried to land it half to three-quarters the way to the hole and let it run. Now, I just try to land a couple paces on the green, and let it release to the hole. I'll use anything from an 7I to a 58* wedge.

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a sand wedge for just about every approach situation under 20 yards or so. Never used anything else besides SW/PW.

Big Cart Bag:

R7 Quad 11.5*
200Steel 5wood 15*
Baffler Hybrid 18* R7 Draw Irons 3-AW Tour Action 56* / 60* Dual Force 990 Pro V1/x

• 3 weeks later...
It really depends on the situation I'm in. Usually, I'd go for a LW or SW unless I really need to get the ball rolling. I'll then use a club with the lower loft, in which I'd choose a 9I or PW...

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

sand wedge when im really close, ole faithful.

MacTec 460 Draw Driver
V-Foil M565 Irons
MT 3 Wood
GigaGolf 52deg gap wedge
Wilson 55deg sand wedge MT Don White 60deg Lob wedgeknockoff 2-ball putter

8 iron to lob wedge are my options, depends on the course and the break on the green. If I want to carry a ridge or something I'll usually go with the 53º unless the hole is fairly near my "landing area," in which case I break out the 58º and try to make it bite.
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

Practice with just one club until you know it very well. i.e. flight, spin, roll, distance, etc. As soon as you can control your chip swing with the one club. Begin experimenting with other clubs. If you switch around, you'll never know what you're doing right or wrong. Different situation call for different clubs, but if your swing is inconsistent, a sand wedge can skull just as easily as an 8-iron.

If you never practice chipping with an 8-iron, you won't know how it's going to react on the green and how far it's going to roll.

I will use mainly 3 clubs. A 9 iron, pitching wedge, or sand wedge (56 degree)
A 9 iron ill use when I'm 5 to 10 yards off the green and have nothing to go through but fairway. I'll use the pitching wedge in the same senario but from 10 to 20 yards off the green. I'll use my sand wedge for chipping from, or over rough. I use both my 60 degree and 56 degree for sand shots depending on the pin, lip hight, ect.

Anything inside 80 meters I use a sand wedge. About 1/3 of my range time is devoted to using this club. I want to get so that once I am in the 80 meter range I know the maximum number of strokes I take will be 3.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

when on the fringe, I will use a 5 iron and hit it like a putt. When further away I like the 9 iron. I will also use the 52 or 60 depending on the lie and how much green I have to work with or when carrying a bunker, etc. When I approach the green and I can't see my ball (because it is behind a mound or something) I grab a 5, 9, 52, and my putter. I figure I can create a number of shots with these choices.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

I used to chip with my 56* SW but found I couldn't attack the greens aggressively. I would always land it short and it would stay short leaving me a difficult 5-6 footer and causing an iffy 2 putt and sometimes 3 putt. If I tried to hit it a little bit harder I would always hit it thin and blow it off the green. So then I tried my 48* PW, the landing distance was always right but it would roll 5-10 yards past the hole and not hold up. I bought a 53* gap wedge last night and will give that a shot, I hope it's what I need.

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

If i chip it and still miss the green the first time i would just putt it

In My Weekender Bag
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000 9.5
Irons: Big Bertha 96's 2-pw-sw
Wedge: Forged X-Tour 58*
Putter: White Hot Tour Putter #1Ball: e6+14 Years old

I miss the green quite often and find myself using an 8 iron most of the time and try to chip & run. I am not bad at this shot, but sometimes I may have a trap between my ball and the green and then I would choose either my pitching wedge or sand wedge. If it's a downhill green I may back off from the 8 iron to a 9. It's not a sure up & down, but many times it is. If I could make 6 - 8 foot putts my up & down save percentage would be much higher.
HAPPY GOLFING
Jay in NC
http://www.mygolfreport.com

When I am chipping an pitching around the green. I utilize all of the wedges in the bag. I rarely play on fast greens, so I am not much for the bump and run style.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

I automatically grab the 56-degree vokey and chip, but occasionally I will use the putter chip if I am really close to the fringe and about 50 ft out. Some rounds I get creative with my irons if the shot calls for them.

What's in the Bag

Driver: Rapture 10.5*

3w: G10 15.5*5w: G10 18.5*3-UW i10 IronsSW: Vokey 54Putter: iWi Anser

What's the correct amount of bounce for a wedge when you're chipping from fairly short grass like the fringe or 2nd cut? I tried using my new 53* gap wedge with 8 degree bounce yesterday on short chips and I found that it was really easy to take a sizable divot causing a inconsistent impact(for such a short swing) in this situation. I don't find this to be the case with my 56* sand wedge which I suspect has a more bounce.

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

Note: This thread is 5740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!