IGNORED

You've missed the green, what do you chip/pitch with?

Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. When you miss the green, what club do you chip/pitch with

• The same club everytime.
    • Mostly just one club, but occasionally use something different.
    • Every shot is unique so it may require a different club each time.

Its always situational, really depends on the lie, is it going downhill once its on the green, am I 5 feet off, on the edge, or am I 22 yards away with some green to work with.

I have been using my 60 degree lob alot lately. But I have to stay down on it. I have a tendency to lean back when I chip or pitch (wide body needs wide stance for good balance, lol). I may use my 3wood for nice 40ft flat runner from the fringe. I like a knock down shot with my 52 degree gap from waaaay off the green. blah, blah blah. . .

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its always situational, really depends on the lie, is it going downhill once its on the green, am I 5 feet off, on the edge, or am I 22 yards away with some green to work with.

Sounds to me like you're trying to do too much. I don't know any 18+ handicaps that have that many shots in the bag. The 60 degree wedge in my opinion is the most commonly used unnecessary club. If you're on the fringe, chances are you'd have much better success if you just used the putter instead of the 3-wood. I might be generalizing a bit, but it sounds like you are trying to get too fancy which can add shots to your score.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Of course it all depends on the variables, lie, obstructions, etc. However, I am learning Pelz's 3x4 system .. if you're familiar with that, you'll know what I'm talking about - great for anyting inside 120. For chips from the fringe and slightly beyond, 5-7 iron, depending on how much green there is between ball and hole.

--
Tee it high, let it fly!

MP-600, Fujikura E360 Stiff
Hi-Bore 1i, 2i, Stiff MP-57, DG S300 52.08, 56.08., 60.07 FISHER GOLF - CTS-1 Burgandy Insert ProV1

Sounds to me like you're trying to do too much. I don't know any 18+ handicaps that have that many shots in the bag. The 60 degree wedge in my opinion is the most commonly used unnecessary club. If you're on the fringe, chances are you'd have much better success if you just used the putter instead of the 3-wood. I might be generalizing a bit, but it sounds like you are trying to get too fancy which can add shots to your score.

I agree with you. I just trying to figure out what works best for me. I have some different shots I can use, but I'm really inconsistent. I don't use the 3wood a lot around the greens. I actually like using the lob wedge. Its pretty versatile--not very forgiving though. I'll try to narrow my field of shots some. See if that helps my game. Thanks!

I generally did everything with my 52 wedge but was not chipping very well. I started using my PW for chip shots just off the green and have had good success. For any pitch I use my 52 unless I need the added loft of my 56.

Mostly my SW if its flat and far I use my PW..

Driver- HiBore XL 9.5°
Hybrids- #3,#4 and #5
Irons- RAC CB/MB combo
Wedge- Vokey 52° Oil Can
56° CG-1060° CG-10Putter- CorzaBall-Bag- '08 Monaco

I used to use my 52º, then I got my 56º and started using that. I have a tendency to hit my chips too soft, which with a lofted wedge tends to go about 3' when I needed 6....5' when I needed 8 ect. Gonna start using some less lofted clubs and see what that does for me.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

For chipping I'll use anything from a 6 iron to a lob wedge. My aim when playing a straightforward chip is to choose a club that will land the ball on the safely on the green by about 5 feet and run out the rest. Sometimes I will need to vary how far on to the green I land the ball to clear obstacles such as a tier hump or hollow, but the principle remains the same.

With pitching, I use the Pelz clock method with either my 9 iron (rarely but I know the distances for it), PW, SW or LW.

This is a big problem that I have. Anywhere within 20 feet of the green and I have problems trying to get it on the green or keep it on the green never mind getting it close. Any tips for this or even a good video or two?

Driver: Callaway Hyper X Tour
5 Wood: Ping G5
Irons: Cobra fp 4-SW
Bag: Powakaddy
Ball: Srixon soft feel

If I've missed it into the rough a SW/56 and if on the fringe or short on the fairway with some green to work with a 7.

I don't usually play courses with large greens. So, 95% of the time one of the sand wedges is the right club. It's that other 5% that make me practice long runners, check and roll 9 irons and high cuts.

Oops. I'm showing my age. I guess you call a "high cut" wedge a lob now.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

my coach is a past tour member and tells me this, which has drastically improved my chipping...imagine your throwing the ball to the hole, if you need to throw it high to get it close use a SW, but 80% of the time you can roll it w an 8 iron or so...get the ball rolling ASAP
-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------
Driver --Titleist 907D2 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
F.W. --Titleist 906F4 15.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
Irons --Mizuno MP-57 - Project X 6.0Wedges --Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 58* - Dynamic Gold X100Putter --Cameron...

my coach is a past tour member and tells me this, which has drastically improved my chipping...imagine your throwing the ball to the hole, if you need to throw it high to get it close use a SW, but 80% of the time you can roll it w an 8 iron or so...get the ball rolling ASAP

That's a great technique on the course as well.

I use an underhand toss test to feel the shot. I use it a lot and love confusing my opponents. "Is he playing golf or softball"?

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

yeah it helps me visulize all my shots around the green to. its helped alot. glad to hear im not the only one using it.
-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------
Driver --Titleist 907D2 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
F.W. --Titleist 906F4 15.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
Irons --Mizuno MP-57 - Project X 6.0Wedges --Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 58* - Dynamic Gold X100Putter --Cameron...

I use a variety of clubs depending distance and elevation change to the pin, the lie, distance to the green and distance that the ball must roll and how I am feeling about my chipping or pitching on that day. From 20 yards( 60 ft ), I have chipped, pitched and putted on various occassions.

I prefer to chip rather than putt from the fringe if the length is really long.

Chips are minimum carry to reach the green surface and roll to the pin with the "usual" PW is 1:1, 9i is 1:2, etc. I use SW-7i.

If I am pitching, my thoughts are how quickly must the ball stop and comfort in hitting that distance with that wedge.

Personally my demon is that I forget to accelerate through the ball which leads to all sorts of bad ball flights.
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

• 2 weeks later...
It depends on the situation:
On the fringe: Proably an 8 iron, i loathe putting from the fringe
In the Rough: To a tight pin my 58, with some green to work with my 54

It also depends on how far away and the kind of lie and if you need to hit over a bunker or something.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!