IGNORED

Improve the PGA Tour TV Product

iacas

I like the idea of awarding extra FEC points for things like low round of the day. I love the addition of more Shotlink-driven data. It's such a waste how little they use that stuff. 

I also remember I think the NLU podcast a while ago talking about how when you go watch old broadcasts from the 80s and 90s they used a lot of picture-in-picture showing the players' reactions to the shot. I always wish we could see that stuff, and I think it would help them show more shots since when a player has an interesting reaction they re-play the shot anyway. If they just showed it all at once you could do it in one fell swoop. 

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/6/2022 at 9:09 PM, iacas said:

Caddies and players don't want that.

It takes them out of the game and makes them have to worry about what they're saying, thinking, doing.

In other words, it compromises their play.

Justin Thomas said a bunch more on a podcast, but basically… it'd negatively affect their play and result in a worse score or shot or competition.

Nah, it’s already out there in golf and other big time sports. The mic is within yards of the players. JT probably just worried about being caught in another slur. 

Let’s not ignore the Netflix doc ability to compromise a wee bit more than this. And just because some players n caddies whine about it doesn’t mean it doesn’t enhance the experience a bunch. 

People are drooling over Spieth and Grellers exchange today. It’s obv what fans like to experience. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Brock said:

Nah, it’s already out there in golf and other big time sports.

Sorry, just going by what several Tour players have said. They disagree with you. They want to entertain, but they don't want to have to worry about shit like that and they feel they won't play their best golf with the added distraction.

It's not my opinion here; I'm telling you what several Tour players have said.

1 minute ago, Brock said:

Let’s not ignore the Netflix doc ability to compromise a wee bit more than this. And just because some players n caddies whine about it doesn’t mean it doesn’t enhance the experience a bunch.

No doubt fans would love it. My point is… at what cost? And that we're unlikely to see it because of the players/caddies.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 7/9/2022 at 12:07 AM, iacas said:

Sorry, just going by what several Tour players have said. They disagree with you. They want to entertain, but they don't want to have to worry about shit like that and they feel they won't play their best golf with the added distraction.

No doubt fans would love it. My point is… at what cost? And that we're unlikely to see it because of the players/caddies.

I think this would be good for off-season or what used to be called the silly season events, but not most regular tournaments.   Maybe the Waste Mgmt. Open which is more relaxed than most.  

Something that I thought might help as well is to get one of the players who went out early to come into the booth for 15-30 minutes each day.  I bet you'd get both some good insights and some real unintentional comedy.

—Adam

I like the idea of award for low round of day/tournament.  I would hate on-course interviews, big time.  I want to see shots & reactions, not “talk”.   

I would like go to see more coverage of non-leaders. That is how we will get to know the games of other golfers.  The “on the bubble” coverage might be good for that.  What I do not want is to see every single shot of a “celebrity name” when they are clearly out of contention.  Use some time of that time to show new names.

And less “side stories” when there is golf to watch.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

On 7/6/2022 at 7:48 PM, Brock said:

Should have more on course interviews too. 

I don't like when ESPN does it on baseball broadcasts and don't think I'd like it here, either

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

7 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

I don't like when ESPN does it on baseball broadcasts and don't think I'd like it here, either

Ding!

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

8 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Well with Baseball you’re seldom missing anything when they do the interviews…🙂

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Shot tracer and carry numbers have enhanced the experience for me. It is so hard to watch a guy hit a shot and not see the flight and the camera hopefully picks it up. We have the technology so use it! 

Guys on the cut bubble, seeing reactions, more storylines that just the leaders is really needed. I watched a LIV event and really liked all the action. Not sure if it was just novelty, but less talk and more golf was a little different than your typical PGA event broadcast.  

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 1 month later...

Watching the Tour Championship today I was thinking it would be nice to see the clubhead speed. They do show the ball speed but I could relate better, I think, if they'd add clubhead speed as well. At least on drives and maybe second shot on par fours and par fives too.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Zippo said:

Watching the Tour Championship today I was thinking it would be nice to see the clubhead speed. They do show the ball speed but I could relate better, I think, if they'd add clubhead speed as well. At least on drives and maybe second shot on par fours and par fives too.

These guys hit the ball so good that it is almost safe to say that their smash factor is very close to 1.5, so divide the ball speed by 1.5 and you'll get a very good estimation of the club speed (so a 175 mph drive relates to a 117mph club speed). But yes, an additional data point once in a while would be nice.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

These guys hit the ball so good that it is almost safe to say that their smash factor is very close to 1.5, so divide the ball speed by 1.5 and you'll get a very good estimation of the club speed (so a 175 mph drive relates to a 117mph club speed). But yes, an additional data point once in a while would be nice.

1.47 to 1.48 yeah.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I like the idea of more cut bubble coverage.  All these PGA players are really good, and letting us see more of these players trying to perform under pressure would be intriguing.  There needs to be a little coverage of the top guys in the field as they finish their Friday rounds, but there is a lot of intrigue for the viewers at the cut line.  It is a good way to differentiate the product from the LIV product where the cut line does not exist.  

John

I think they should expand the commerical-free coverage that they sometimes do for bigger tournaments. Have it so the sponsor changes every five or ten minutes, they get mentioned a set number of times, and their name stays on the top of the screen when its their block. 

I'm not a huge fan of DP World Tour coverage, because its often a little too quiet and still, but I think trending more towards that, with less bits and all of the other corny stuff that goes on, would be an improvement. Less interviews with CEOS, less booth interviews period. 

Just less of everything that isn't golf shots, and more of everything that is about golf shots or adds context to them. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 5:07 AM, iacas said:

They are no longer playing their "best golf" anyway (as a group) because many of the good players have left, so I don't think this small worry has to stop things. Provide what the fans want, or the competition will do it. 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Moxley said:

They are no longer playing their "best golf" anyway (as a group) because many of the good players have left, so I don't think this small worry has to stop things. Provide what the fans want, or the competition will do it. 

Okay, LIV stan.

And that post was in response to someone else from back in JULY.