IGNORED

Does going to the range really help?

Note: This thread is 5804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Like most people I find the range to be helpful in working out the mechanics, but obviously doesn't help much with strategy. I will sometimes try to play the range like it's an actual hole, but usually I'm just trying to figure out how it's possible for one man to suck this bad! :)

I like the range, and believed it has helped me in this early stage of the development of my game. For example, I drove the ball very well this past Saturday on the course except for 2 of my last 3 drives. Those 3 shots totally robbed me of any swagger I had with the driver and I basically had forgotten whatever I do during my backswing (wrist position, plane etc.). So I went to the range and worked that out in about 10 minutes so that I'll feel 100% on the 1st hole this Saturday.

I do have several range options within 15 minutes of me. 1 mats only, 1 grass only and 1 with both. The hours practicing on the grass has definitely helped me with my irons much more than the mat time though.

Lastly, I played at the range on mats during my entire 1st summer trying to learn golf. The mats had 4 feet high stalls. From May thru September, I secretly went to the range to learn the game that several colleagues already played a couple times a month. When I finally went with a good buddy to an actual course for the 1st time, I found myself on the 1st tee with no stalls and I lost trying to find the right distance from the ball...

I used to get a couple large buckets and just hit until all the balls were done, hoping to work out whatever the heck was up with my game. All it ever did was reinforce whatever flaws I had. I've recently started doing this. I'll read something, go to the range and try it out or I'll be taught something, go to the range and try it out.

My most recent adventure was bending too much at the waste on the tee box and putting an annoying hook on my drives. I read article that said basically pretend your trying to sit in a chair in the dark and that squatting motion is what you should use. Gave it a shot at the range and it really helped.

The days of digging my own range grave is over :)

Dave

There's no way I would have figured out the swing without a range. After years of flipping at impact, I spent an inordinate amount of time at ranges revamping my swing so that I had the proper impact position and mechanics. Now I use the range to figure out things like working the ball, hitting high, low, to try new clubs, to fix mechanics or to try variations on the swing.

Nowadays, I wished there were more short game practice areas.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The range is only good if you are there to work on something, if you are there just to pound balls chances are your doing more harm then good.

There's no way I would have figured out the swing without a range. After years of flipping at impact, I spent an inordinate amount of time at ranges revamping my swing so that I had the proper impact position and mechanics. Now I use the range to figure out things like working the ball, hitting high, low, to try new clubs, to fix mechanics or to try variations on the swing.

The private course that I play at has like a 5 acre short game area.

It's great. Thank god my coach likes me and let's me play there. But, you can't get better without going to the range.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Well, the range is 15 minutes from work, the Golf Course about 30 minutes. I need 2 hours to play at least 9 holes, and take about 50 minutes in the range. I pay $4 a bucket so its way cheaper. Off course I'll prefer to play, but with time and money involved sometimes the range is your only option.

The "ranges" we have around here (and I use that term loosely) are just raised concrete slabs with cheap fake grass mats with a rubber stopper for a tee. Here they don't even allow you to hit off the real grass on the side. It helps me a little but with their limitations the only thing it really helps with is me getting ready to take a nap after about two buckets worth

Driver-Callaway FT-5 Draw 9.5"

3WD-Callaway Hawkeye 15*

Hybrid-Callaway FT 21*

Irons-Callaway Steelhead X-16 4-P

Wedges-Callaway Big Bertha Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter-Odyssey White Hot #1

Putting in work on the range is definitely worthwhile. I have had hard times with the range, feeling like I was getting worse rather than better. But if you are implementing change in order to get better, some simple repetition is better than just beating it around the course. Do not misunderstand, overall improvement does come from playing the game and experiencing all aspects of it. But when it comes to getting the full swing correct the range is the best place to get things fixed. Consider your handicap. Is it high because of the full swing or because of the short game or both. Whatever it is, doing the same thing and expecting different results is a formula for disappointment. I recently got some instruction and it's paying dividends. I needed full swing help and I got it. The only way to ingrain those swing thoughts is through repetition on the range. Of course we can never practice the short game enough. I practice at the club, in the backyard, in the living room, etc.

Work hard, play hard, have fun, enjoy!

The "ranges" we have around here (and I use that term loosely) are just raised concrete slabs with cheap fake grass mats with a rubber stopper for a tee. Here they don't even allow you to hit off the real grass on the side. It helps me a little but with their limitations the only thing it really helps with is me getting ready to take a nap after about two buckets worth

a lot of ranges out here in Los Angeles use those cheap fake grass mats as well.

ranges are like a double edge sword. it can help you fix your swing and even give more confidence. but there is always the chance that you have a bad session and ruin it all in one swoop. range session is all about quality not quantity.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

Note: This thread is 5804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!