IGNORED

Biggest jerk on the tour?

easygrip
Note: This thread is 804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Biggest jerk on tour is the people reaching out to touch a pro who is walking to the next tee.

I don't know if they are jerks but I never got the "touch" the famous person thing.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well put.

I was at The Lakes in 1980 (trusting memory here) when Greg Norman won his first Australian Open. Norman had about a 10 foot downhill putt on the 18th to win. A guy behind me yelled something out and I turned arround and told him to shut up and he behaved as if he was at a pub and I'd dissed him for no reason. Dickhead followed me off the course threatening me.

Might have been trying to influence the outcome of a wager.

Kevin

I don't know if they are jerks but I never got the "touch" the famous person thing.

You know, I have only ever been to one tour event. Honda Classic 2014. it was great... I think your absolutely correct and think, as was the master, a place where the golfers can WALK OFF without having to be bugged for autographs. I will tell you why... Watched Speith after one of his rounds, I think after the scorer shed, he walked off and stopped to sign a few autographs. The line was way too long and he had to "look away, as if not noticing some as he moved down the line" then the arms got longer, he had to stop again.

What that does is alienate those kids that didn't get a signed piece. Not that Speith did anything wrong, but damn, he cant be expected to sign everything. The poor kid that misses it feels bad and may have his feelings hurt. Imagine your 5 and speith is your hero but doesn't notice you, or looks to the left as he passes you. Then your father says something like, oh well, or tries to down play it..

The PGA does not want to lose one potential player or payer in the future. They must make sure this does not happen... I bring it up because I seen a few kids crying at the Honda... One dad was a jerk and called the player a jerk to his son. I certainly can't step in and be a father in this situation. It is amazing how bad some people can be... The PGA just needs to police it in a certain way...

You know, I have only ever been to one tour event. Honda Classic 2014. it was great... I think your absolutely correct and think, as was the master, a place where the golfers can WALK OFF without having to be bugged for autographs. I will tell you why... Watched Speith after one of his rounds, I think after the scorer shed, he walked off and stopped to sign a few autographs. The line was way too long and he had to "look away, as if not noticing some as he moved down the line" then the arms got longer, he had to stop again. What that does is alienate those kids that didn't get a signed piece. Not that Speith did anything wrong, but damn, he cant be expected to sign everything. The poor kid that misses it feels bad and may have his feelings hurt. Imagine your 5 and speith is your hero but doesn't notice you, or looks to the left as he passes you. Then your father says something like, oh well, or tries to down play it.. The PGA does not want to lose one potential player or payer in the future. They must make sure this does not happen... I bring it up because I seen a few kids crying at the Honda... One dad was a jerk and called the player a jerk to his son. I certainly can't step in and be a father in this situation. It is amazing how bad some people can be... The PGA just needs to police it in a certain way...

That's unfortunate, but you're totally right. I feel bad for some of the players because you know some would stay out there all day to sign if they could but simply can't. Onto another thing, think the results of Espn's survey about players painted an interesting picture about Bubba.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

These pros need to have a "time-to-go" guy.  It could be a caddy or relative or whoever.  They could carry around a fake radio and have a hat that said "Staff" or "Tournament Official" or something.  Then, when the line got too long, or the pro just had enough, the guy could step in and say, "they need you in the booth!" or "you'll miss your flight" or anything to get the pro away from the fans without hurting someone's feelings.

Occam's razor

• 2 weeks later...

These pros need to have a "time-to-go" guy.  It could be a caddy or relative or whoever.  They could carry around a fake radio and have a hat that said "Staff" or "Tournament Official" or something.  Then, when the line got too long, or the pro just had enough, the guy could step in and say, "they need you in the booth!" or "you'll miss your flight" or anything to get the pro away from the fans without hurting someone's feelings.

I always wondered how difficult would it be just to have a stack of signed cards to hand out to the kids right after warming up or after the round, heck the player doesn't even have to be the one who signed it and the kids wont know the difference so who gets hurt?

While I'm at it Bubba gets another thumbs down, a young aspiring player I know was at the match play event at Harding last week and kindly asked Bubba to sign something while he was going somewhere other than the first tee. I remember he asked if he would sign a hat or other article he had, Bubba didn't even look in his direction and just gave a real abrupt "NOPE" and continued walking. Everyone in the area he said just looked a bit shocked at that behavior and they just shook their heads while other players took time to sign. Bubba imo is an ingrate and gives the game of golf a bad image when he acts like that it's fine if you have to be somewhere just say sorry and tell them you will sign it later when you have more time people for the most part are reasonable and will be okay with it.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I'm not going to label a player a jerk based on autographs. I go to a ton of tournaments and watch the whole autograph frenzy.  There are grown men running around with flags, magazines, hats to be signed - kind of pathetic really. Guess some are doing it for Ebay sales. Maybe not.

Yesterday I watched Tiger sign probably 50+ autographs, maybe more, then while he was walking away some guy threw out the "for a veteran" plea - I'm sure Tiger heard it but kept walking. I thought throwing out the "I'm a vet" to get an autograph was shallow on the fan's part - as a vet myself, hated to hear it thrown out. I'm absolutely positive that Tiger has contributed millions and hours of his time to assist vets. But a bystander might think he doesn't do anything based on this incident.

If I saw that happen without seeing Tiger sign for all those other people beforehand, I'd think Tiger was a jerk for just walking by. But I think these players are pulled from all directions and eventually they have to put their foot down and say no when they have to.

Sure Watson could have said it nicer, but maybe over time you get callous by everyone asking.

Life is tough, sometimes you don't get an autograph - get over it.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to label a player a jerk based on autographs. I go to a ton of tournaments and watch the whole autograph frenzy.  There are grown men running around with flags, magazines, hats to be signed - kind of pathetic really. Guess some are doing it for Ebay sales. Maybe not.

Yesterday I watched Tiger sign probably 50+ autographs, maybe more, then while he was walking away some guy threw out the "for a veteran" plea - I'm sure Tiger heard it but kept walking. I thought throwing out the "I'm a vet" to get an autograph was shallow on the fan's part - as a vet myself, hated to hear it thrown out. I'm absolutely positive that Tiger has contributed millions and hours of his time to assist vets. But a bystander might think he doesn't do anything based on this incident.

If I saw that happen without seeing Tiger sign for all those other people beforehand, I'd think Tiger was a jerk for just walking by. But I think these players are pulled from all directions and eventually they have to put their foot down and say no when they have to.

Sure Watson could have said it nicer, but maybe over time you get callous by everyone asking.

Life is tough, sometimes you don't get an autograph - get over it.

Careful!!! You are in danger of becoming a Tiger fan.... :-) .

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

• 2 weeks later...

Tiger Woods' Off-Color Language Prompts FCC Complaints

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-cursing-draws-fcc-complaints

Kind of unfair for them to target Tiger, it's not his fault that the cameras are always on him. As has been pointed out at least 13 456 783 times, Tiger is hardly the only golfer (or athlete for that matter), professional or otherwise, to be dropping f-bombs and the like, his just get more airtime because he's Tiger. Heck, as far as I know he may not even be the worst offender. Some of the other guys on their way to an MC are probably swearing to beat the band, but nobody's filming them...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Kind of unfair for them to target Tiger, it's not his fault that the cameras are always on him. As has been pointed out at least 13 456 783 times, Tiger is hardly the only golfer (or athlete for that matter), professional or otherwise, to be dropping f-bombs and the like, his just get more airtime because he's Tiger. Heck, as far as I know he may not even be the worst offender. Some of the other guys on their way to an MC are probably swearing to beat the band, but nobody's filming them...

That's exactly what they're doing, targeting. You're right, if the camera was focused as much on other players going through a rough time they'd catch quite a bit of F bombs or worse. Tiger could be 10 over on the back nine and still gets more camera time than players in actual contention to win the tournament.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

People are way too uptight.  I'm glad that FCC. v. Fox decision in 2012 went the way it did.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I am sorry, but Rory is a complete and utter jerk.

In a tournament in 2005, cant remember the name, Rory played with Crane ( a noted slow player ). Ill never forget this.

After the two were placed on the clock for a few holes they were taken off of the clock on the 17th and this happend after it.

Rory hit his approach into the water on the 17th walked to the drop zone which is almost directly behind the flag all before Crane has yet to hit his approach. Crane hits his approach and when the ball stopped moving Rory dropped, hit his shot, marked his ball, picked up the mark, putted out and went to the 18th tee box before Crane finished out. Crane had enough decency to shake the mans hand after the round, but I wish he would have punched him right in the jaw.

Ill never forget how he was booed by the fans after his walk up the the 18th green and after he finished putting and rightfully so.

Ive never liked him since then and never will. The guy is an absolute joke and an embarrasment.

I'll forever respect and appreciate Sabbatini for treating a slow player with the utter contempt he deserves.  Many pros at the time this happened said it was long overdue and appreciated Sabbs doing this.

I'm not going to label a player a jerk based on autographs. I go to a ton of tournaments and watch the whole autograph frenzy.  There are grown men running around with flags, magazines, hats to be signed - kind of pathetic really. Guess some are doing it for Ebay sales. Maybe not. Yesterday I watched Tiger sign probably 50+ autographs, maybe more, then while he was walking away some guy threw out the "for a veteran" plea - I'm sure Tiger heard it but kept walking. I thought throwing out the "I'm a vet" to get an autograph was shallow on the fan's part - as a vet myself, hated to hear it thrown out. I'm absolutely positive that Tiger has contributed millions and hours of his time to assist vets. But a bystander might think he doesn't do anything based on this incident. If I saw that happen without seeing Tiger sign for all those other people beforehand, I'd think Tiger was a jerk for just walking by. But I think these players are pulled from all directions and eventually they have to put their foot down and say no when they have to.  Sure Watson could have said it nicer, but maybe over time you get callous by everyone asking. Life is tough, sometimes you don't get an autograph - get over it.

I don't understand the mentality of a grown man begging for autographs. If I were a pro, I'd only sign for kids. I noticed Rory last weekend, whenever he went through a gauntlet of fans with their arms outstretched, he only slapped 5 with kids and hot chicks. I thought that was funny.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

In a tournament in 2005, cant remember the name, Rory played with Crane ( a noted slow player ). Ill never forget this.

After the two were placed on the clock for a few holes they were taken off of the clock on the 17th and this happend after it.

Rory hit his approach into the water on the 17th walked to the drop zone which is almost directly behind the flag all before Crane has yet to hit his approach. Crane hits his approach and when the ball stopped moving Rory dropped, hit his shot, marked his ball, picked up the mark, putted out and went to the 18th tee box before Crane finished out. Crane had enough decency to shake the mans hand after the round, but I wish he would have punched him right in the jaw.

Ill never forget how he was booed by the fans after his walk up the the 18th green and after he finished putting and rightfully so.

Ive never liked him since then and never will. The guy is an absolute joke and an embarrasment.

Originally Posted by tdiii

I'll forever respect and appreciate Sabbatini for treating a slow player with the utter contempt he deserves.  Many pros at the time this happened said it was long overdue and appreciated Sabbs doing this.

I also remember several players saying that they understood, why Sabbatini did what he did. It still does not take away the fact that he is not well liked by many fans though.

The main issue is the fact that firstly he ran all over olazabel's line and secondly it wasn't even a winning putt, olazabel still could have sunk his! Yes the american team was involved, but it was leonard who ran all over the green like an absoloute moron and it is for this reason that i dislike him, a lot!

In fact Justin didn't win that match or any other that week as I recall.

There were like 15 complaints total over five years, it's a non story.  One of the complaints was about an erectile dysfunction ad.  Golf.com must be really desperate for content these days.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!