IGNORED

Why is Tiger the only black man on tour?

BASHERBAKER69
Note: This thread is 5805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's all economics, to play hoops all ya need is a pair of sneaks, somebody will have a ball and the playgrounds all have a hoop.

So are you saying that a black man will hold you up at gunpoint for a pair of air jordans, but will walk right by the man with a ping carry bag and a callaway ft-5 driver...

i do not like where u are going with this...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

African? Considering the fact that Africa is the most desparate continent on the planet, it is no suprise that golf doesn't seem to be a high priority. War, disease, and famine seem to be higher obstacles right now.

well, id question whether there will be an influx of African Americans coming in to the PGA tour or the Nationwide tours. I just don't think it will happen. Look at the Walker Cup amateur teams that played againsy each other last year- no Africans on either side.

As has already been mentioned, there is a cultural problem here and perhaps black people view golf as a white mans game associated with the slave trade and that is where their reluctance to play the game comes from. It is not as though whites are stopping them. So this is why Tiger is a bit special i feel.

well, id question whether there will be an influx of African Americans coming in to the PGA tour or the Nationwide tours. I just don't think it will happen. Look at the Walker Cup amateur teams that played againsy each other last year- no Africans on either side.

Look guys- all kidding aside. here is your answer. u will start seeing more blacks on tour when snoop dogg starts putting tiger woods in his videos... it is all about marketing to yhe races. u just do not see golf marketing to the blacks..

As has already been mentioned, there is a cultural problem here and perhaps black people view golf as a white mans game associated with the slave trade and that is where their reluctance to play the game comes from. It is not as though whites are stopping them. So this is why Tiger is a bit special i feel.

Well, is this just a guess or does this theory hold water empirically?

For instance, Real Sports just ran a story on Torii Hunter and how he is trying to restore the image of MLB in the minds of black kids. Apparently they think it's not a very manly game. If they think baseball isn't very manly, imagine what they think of golf.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

So are you saying that a black man will hold you up at gunpoint for a pair of air jordans, but will walk right by the man with a ping carry bag and a callaway ft-5 driver...

No, he said nothing like that. You pulled that one out of thin air just to be controversial for shock value. Why?

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

It is interesting that in the 22 years between 64 and 86 5 black pga pros won 23 events between them (Pete Brown, Charlie Sifford, Lee Elder, Calvin Peete and Jim Thorpe).

None besides Tiger the Calabanasian since then.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

It's funny that tiger is the only black man(i know hes part asian and part african american but his cosmetic build is african american so just to save all argument) on tour, yet he is the best player in the world. The same thing occurs in australia. No aboriginees play golf or cricket in australia(2 very dependant hand-eye coordination sports), they all play aussie rules. one thing white australia has found, is that they are quick, and fantastic with their hands(such as passing in bbal or marking in AFL.) is it possible that hitting sports are not in the biological make up of african americans? i think maybe that is part of the argument, and the other part is that the black population of america, do idolise their bbal heroes, as opposed to tiger woods. maybe money(as already mentioned)comes in to the story? (stereotypically the black race is seen as poorer-remember i'm not trying to be racist.)

all in all lets have some more african american golfers!

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• Administrator
Calling Vijay black would be like calling an apple a vegetable. Vijay is Fijian/Pacific Islander.

He's not "African" but he's pretty dark skinned. C'mon now... You can be "black" without having ancestors from Africa.

1. He is half African/American, half Thai.

He's not quite half of either IIRC. He's got some other stuff in 'im as well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

if golf cna manage to promote a youthful image of itself people of all backgrounds will try the game but lets face it the steriotype golfer is a mid 40's white male but that is rapidly changing because junior golf is one of the fastes growing sprorts.

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

if golf cna manage to promote a youthful image of itself people of all backgrounds will try the game but lets face it the steriotype golfer is a mid 40's white male but that is rapidly changing because junior golf is one of the fastes growing sprorts.

That is a good point. I played Junior Golf. It is pretty affordable and it doesn't discriminate at all. This gives kids of all demographics a chance to compete and develop their games.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Golf is not a cheap sport, even at a muni or low end club. Golf segregrates...lower income will not have as much access and practice as middle class and up....period.

So...instead of building castles, why doesn't TW buy a few tracts for lower income kids to play and practice? He could eaisly classify it as a 501-c3, so not much $$$$ loss to a soon to be billionaire. But Rory S. is the real jerk of the PGA..right?

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Golf is not a cheap sport, even at a muni or low end club. Golf segregrates...lower income will not have as much access and practice as middle class and up....period.

This is so truthful.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Calling Vijay black would be like calling an apple a vegetable. Vijay is Fijian/Pacific Islander.

No, actually it's not. It wouldn't matter if he came from an igloo somewhere above the artic circle, VJ is black.

R7 Superquad TP 1st edition
R7 ti 3,5,7 fairway metals
18*, 21*, 26* hybrids
#10 & #14 shortened fairway metals 29*, 35*
4 wedges of various brands 47~65* + foot wedge Danser or Zing 2 Beryllium putterPro V1

I see plenty of Black men playing golf every weekend, the only difference I see is that almost all of them are older (at least late 40s). I can only think of a couple young black guys that I've ever seen on the range, and none ever on a course. I don't know why this is, I see lots of young white guys on the course.

I think Tiger's upbringing was probably very different than most Black kids, just because of the fact that his family was pretty well off even before Buick and Nike (Colonels do pretty well) and the obvious fact that he is really at least as much Asian as Black (Earl himself had some Chinese and Native American blood).

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

People need to stop using cash demographics to answer this question.

The answer to this question is socialization. There are cultural rewards that we all feed on, whatever our race or culture is. Players like Tiger and Vijay used their anti social behaviour (playing golf) and the reactions that it engendered (ridicule, close examination, INTIMIDATION) as fuel to continue, to work hard--to beat those guys.

Sure there are "inner-city" black kids that don't have tons of cash. BUT there are plenty of black folks with money. But is it rewarded to be out there busting your ass? Do they come home to friends and famliy that reinforce that? I think the number of black golfers answers that question.

Vijay's dad was a mechanic and Tiger's a Vet. I don't know how much $$ that brought, but it wasn't "Different Strokes" was it? There' s so much more than money that goes into what choices people make. Its just an EASY answer.

White golfer: does ANYONE EVERY look at you sideways when you say "I was just out on the driving range. . . "

Now imagine a young black man at Jr. High or High School. "I was just out at the driving range. . . " Hell, there isn't even SLANG for it. But if you are shootin hoops, or whatever else for football. . . society says YES!

Same thing for whites in the NBA. It is socially positive for a white kid to play NCAA ball. But the NBA. . . well--shouldn't he be some corporate guy who parleyed the NCAA cache into some sweet managerial position?

Meanwhile for black kids NBA/NFL is a way for black kids to "make it out"? These mores are tired. Opportunities are out there for anyone. But they can't make it alone. . . Tiger has amazing parents who socialized him right into golf dominance. Live by the culture and make choices by it too--whether white or black.

Augusta discourages 40's in brown paper bags and wheels bigger than 22's....

Well thank you for that lovely abstract of African Americans. Isn't that the most intelligent and accurate description of Blacks in America? Couldn't you find something a little less sterotypical and demeaning? Moving on . . . Augusta hasn't exactly been all been azeleas and pimento sandwiches, it has had its tragedies along the way. Perhaps, this may have something to do with the lack of African-Americans in the crowds, if that is such the case. . . http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline...174830,00.html Golf in its earliest traditions in America are rooted in elitism and wealth. It is an iconic sport of the upper social classes that have existed in in society. The socioeconomic status of the working class (including African-Americans), is such that many could not afford to put money away, let alone join a country club. This is the reality of the situation. While Tiger's socioeconomic status may not reflect that of the majority of African-American/Asian youths growing up in America, it does nonetheless illustrate that anything is possible, given that right work ethic, attitude and socioeconomic status. In the following interview, David Leadbetter touches on the obstacles of junior golf. It further reinforces the idea that in order for golf to grow and trandscend racial borders, it has to be accessible and inclusive to people from all different socioeconomic levels. Golf is inherently an expensive sport, it involves many clubs, practice facilities and courses which entails vast areas of land. But the powers that be have done little in America to encourage the game the sport to all walks of life. http://www.golfvideo.ca/david-leadbe...golf-m-42.html
You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

No, actually it's not. It wouldn't matter if he came from an igloo somewhere above the artic circle, VJ is black.

I agree. VJ absolutely IS black. It has nothing to do with where you are from. It's odd how some people think you or your ancestry must have roots in Africa to be black...or Europe to be white, etc.

Driver: R7 425 TP w/ stock Fujikura stiff shaft
Hybrid: 16 degree baffler pro with stiff Fujikura Speeder shaft
Irons: X-20 tour 3-PW w/ 6.0 Project X shafts
52 degree wedge: MR w/ Royal Spinner shaft
56 degree wedge: MR w/ Royal Spinner shaft60 degree wedge: MR w/ Royal Spinner shaftPutter:...

Note: This thread is 5805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!