IGNORED

How often and when should you re-grip?

twotacosfor99cents
Note: This thread is 5729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lately, i've noticed that my grips have gotten a bit tacky and a bit worn in some places, so I guess this is an indicator of when I should re-grip. The grips have about 25-30 rounds on them, not including range time. My driver has about 10 rounds on it but is a little tacky too.

Thinking about Winn's in a standard size. Any suggestions from Sandtrappers?
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

I have had my clubs for 4 years and play 50-60 rounds a year and I havent re-gripped, they are still amazingly gripping and the only problem is on the PW where the bottom is starting to tear.

There was a thread on this before suggesting that you re-grip after 40 rounds.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Lately, i've noticed that my grips have gotten a bit tacky and a bit worn in some places, so I guess this is an indicator of when I should re-grip. The grips have about 25-30 rounds on them, not including range time. My driver has about 10 rounds on it but is a little tacky too.

I regrip if they get chewed up, lose their grippiness, or get extremely dirty and don't wash out.

It varies from club to club, but whenever two or three become like that I'll have them redone. (I used to make a trip every time, but with gas prices and the nearest Golfworks being 25 miles away, I need to combine when possible.)
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Since you don't use all clubs equally, compare the ones you use most against the ones you use least and go from there. My advice would be, "if it feels like it might be time to change them, it probably is".

I've also heard that, for the mental aspect of the game, regripping clubs is second only to a new set of clubs when it comes to improving score...at least temporarily.

R7 Superquad TP 1st edition
R7 ti 3,5,7 fairway metals
18*, 21*, 26* hybrids
#10 & #14 shortened fairway metals 29*, 35*
4 wedges of various brands 47~65* + foot wedge Danser or Zing 2 Beryllium putterPro V1

Yeah, I would think so.. The cost is minimal too, just $75 for a full set of Winn's.
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

I find Winns wear FAR too fast, especially given their price tag. I use midsize Golf Pride Tour Velvet. I invested in a big roll of grip tape and a big bottle of solvent a while ago. With that, I can regrip my whole set for around $40, IIRC.

I've been going through finding the right grip, so all my regrips have been due to choice, not wear, but I'd bet the TV's would easily last through an entire season of even the most frequent play, probably two seasons.

hi from nabisco!!!!!

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I regrip if they get chewed up, lose their grippiness, or get extremely dirty and don't wash out.

Well just going off what my son tells me, we regrip his irons about every 6 to 8 months. The other clubs in his bag, he just lets me know when they start getting too worn. Now he plays 6 days a week, so that is a lot of golf. We also have them regriped with Lamkin grips. They seem to hold up really well and he likes the feel of them.

~disclaimer~ I'm just a golf mom.

I'm okay with Winn's wearing out, I liked the feel of them compared to the Golf Prides... We'll see.
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:

Guess I'm in the "overboard" category, because I re-grip once a year. Do it myself (always have).

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

I re-grip every spring whether they need it or not. This year I tried the Winn Dsi burgundy (oversized).

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 months later...
Those that re-grip often, does that include your putter? Are the OEM red grips available for re-gripping my Scotty? TIA

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

You re-grip when you think your grips need replaced.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

For those who regrip their own clubs with the non cord look type grips how do you get the new grips consistently in the right place? When I look at my grips (Winn G8's) I see texture, design, and color patterns that are helpful for a variety of grip placements, especially for my left hand. Sometimes they even work . Do you use some sort of a jig or other mark on the club or do you just guess or just put the grip on and not worry about it's "placement"?

I regrip usually once a year.

For those who regrip their own clubs with the non cord look type grips how do you get the new grips consistently in the right place? When I look at my grips (Winn G8's) I see texture, design, and color patterns that are helpful for a variety of grip placements, especially for my left hand. Sometimes they even work

It eventually becomes second-nature to line up the alignment aids/logos/etc with the clubhead. But just to be safe, I put a piece of masking tape around the shaft at the bottom of the old grip and mark the line of the grip with a Sharpie.

^^^

The tape mark sounds like it works well. So how do you get the grips in position without them getting stuck with the adhesive? Do you unwind a paper or plastic backing once they are in place or is the adhesive non-stick for a period of time to allow you to get the grip in it's proper place? Or something else since many of the newer grips are split grips? I have always wondered how the seams were done so well too.

^^^

The grip solvent keeps the adhesive on the grip tape from being sticky/tacky for a short period. That's what allows you to slide the grip on and gives you a little time to position it.

1. wrap masking tape around shaft and mark line of old grip.
  2. cut off old grip and remove old tape
  3. put new grip tape on and remove backing
  4. saturate grip tape with grip solvent
  5. slide new grip on and align it
That's all there is to it. It's one of those things in life that seems daunting before you do it. But once you do it, you can't believe you were ever intimidated by it.

^^^^

My main reasons for not doing on my own was the alignment issue. Other factors are I don't need to do it more than once a year and the roughly 8.00 per club, including the grip is a reasonable cost considering how much time I am guessing it would take me to do it. I do things right the first time which means it takes twice as long. However I also have something I didn't before and that is a set of older clubs and I can use one there to learn on before I move to the gamers. Plus I don't have to regrip all of my clubs since my non-wedge iron grips are 4 months newer than the rest of my game set. I will have to do a bit more homework to see if it's worth me starting to do it on my own or just continue having someone else do. Kind of like changing the oil on your car. There is a sense of satisfaction of DIY but is it worth spending half a day doing it?

Thanks for the info.

^^^^

H-

Not sure what part of WA you are in, but if you don't want to do your own re-grips, I seem to recall that Puetz Golf doesn't charge for regripping if you buy the grips at their store. I think you have to be a member of their Puetz Club, but that's free too.

Note: This thread is 5729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!