IGNORED

Why You Quit Playing Golf (2022)

Nave

Oh, I've quit twice here in 2022.  Well...got forced quit.

Finally broke 80 myself (congrats to you, btw!) last May.  It felt amazing.  But, kinda like you mentioned, afterwards, I felt like I finally achieved my big goal, and still loved playing, but was kinda 'meh' about having that passion to work and improve.  Then, around September 2021, started having some serious shoulder pain that was slowly killing my game.  Then, along came 2022.

Quit #1:
Got the diagnosis of frozen shoulder in April, then the corrective surgery in May.  That recovery took a few months.  I was able to "play" early on, but getting back to a full swing with my full distance was a chore.  I'd say I got to about 95-97% of my normal distance until September 6th.

Quit #2:
September 6th, I quit again.  Broke my ankle in 2 places playing ice hockey (fibula only, thankfully)--non-contact in a pre-season practice game.  Just pivoting like you do 100 times a game and my outside edge caught a bad spot--and my ankle rolled and snapped under me.  Now I have a long plate and 8 screws.  I get my cast off on 10/11 and get into a boot, then should be out of the boot on 10/25, and into an athletic brace.  I have a charity/fun tournament on 11/10, and plan on making my way back to at least being able to go out there and hit a ball and have a good time in time for that tournament, as I haven't missed it in 12+ years.

Quit #3?:
I may quit again over the winter.  Not because of weather--Alabama winters allow for some golf.  My first hockey game back from the shoulder work, I took a slap shot to my right hand--right in the crease of my glove.  I don't think it's broken as I can mostly bend it, but it has only gotten stiffer and more painful, so something's wrong.  Guessing maybe damaged cartilage in the joint?  It doesn't affect my golf game (yet), but probably worth getting fixed so I avoid arthritis and what-not in it down the road.

Hoping I have a better 2023.  ;-)  And I hope you re-find that passion.  It's a great game.

Wade

• Like 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, BamaWade said:

Finally broke 80 myself (congrats to you, btw!)

Wade - Thank you and congratulations to you as well. What a story and sorry to hear about your shoulder and other sports battlefield injuries.

I am guilty of ignoring my shoulder pain and playing through it until I had no choice but do physical therapy. Unfortunately, the therapy did not do much apart from helping with living with shoulder pain. One day I decided to pick up swimming, specifically to learn the back stroke - literally on the first session I felt a popping relieve in my shoulder. It felt like a trapped nerve or muscle knot was released and now I am fine again.

Maybe having the Alabama winters is a good thing. I imagine the excitement when the winter is over and golf season starts again. In Nevada we have golf weather almost all year.

Nave

13 hours ago, BamaWade said:

Quit #2:
September 6th, I quit again.  Broke my ankle in 2 places playing ice hockey (fibula only, thankfully)--non-contact in a pre-season practice game.  Just pivoting like you do 100 times a game and my outside edge caught a bad spot--and my ankle rolled and snapped under me.  Now I have a long plate and 8 screws.  I get my cast off on 10/11 and get into a boot, then should be out of the boot on 10/25, and into an athletic brace.  I have a charity/fun tournament on 11/10, and plan on making my way back to at least being able to go out there and hit a ball and have a good time in time for that tournament, as I haven't missed it in 12+ years.

Lead foot or trail? I broke my right ankle (trail) and was back out hitting balls in 6 months after hardware surgery. The recovery was more of a mental grind than physical (relatively speaking). 

Vishal S.

3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Lead foot or trail? I broke my right ankle (trail) and was back out hitting balls in 6 months after hardware surgery. The recovery was more of a mental grind than physical (relatively speaking). 

Right (trail) foot for me.  Your "6 months" comment scares me.  I hope I'm out there sooner than that.  Did you break the tibia as well?  

BTW--love the mug in your avatar....cracks me up every time I see it, as I can relate to it in golf, hockey, disc golf, and most every other hobby I have. 😅

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

2 hours ago, BamaWade said:

Right (trail) foot for me.    

Good. Welp, not good but you know what I mean. Your golf will be just fine. Lead foot injury would have been a diff story. 

Your "6 months" comment scares me.  I hope I'm out there sooner than that.  Did you break the tibia as well?  

YMMV. Fibula was couple of places and the malleolus on Tibia. Bones are dumb and heal but the soft tissue 'damage' from surgery demands a bit more. There is no exact recovery playbook for these things but I do know that you can make some stuff unpleasantly permanent in trying to cut out a month or two. Pay your dues and then some. You will be thankful. 

BTW--love the mug in your avatar....cracks me up every time I see it, as I can relate to it in golf, hockey, disc golf, and most every other hobby I have. 😅

Thanks, was a gift from a friend. Good reminder message to not to get too geeked up about my golf and get my head too far deep up my ass. Heh.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.