IGNORED

Has Golf Instruction Gotten Too Technical?

iacas

Golf Instruction  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Has golf instruction gotten too technical?

• Administrator

My Twitter thread on this:

• Informative 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It would help to know more about the respondents before making any conclusions about the significance of the 50% number. I would think it's more of a problem if 50% of actual, active students think teaching is too technical, versus golfers in general just voicing their opinion based on things they see on TV or youtube.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Big Lex said:

It would help to know more about the respondents before making any conclusions about the significance of the 50% number. I would think it's more of a problem if 50% of actual, active students think teaching is too technical, versus golfers in general just voicing their opinion based on things they see on TV or youtube.

Of course, but the segment is "golfers on Twitter" and 50% is still a sizable number.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think tweet #4 is relevant, here. How many of the people who voted are actually taking lessons from an instructor? Or are they watching AMG on YouTube thinking that’s how people teach?

Golf information is obviously technical and people have more ways than ever before to communicate the information to the public, but an informative video about a certain facet of the swing is not the same thing as a lesson.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, billchao said:

I think tweet #4 is relevant, here. How many of the people who voted are actually taking lessons from an instructor? Or are they watching AMG on YouTube thinking that’s how people teach?

Right. I think that's a big part of it.

26 minutes ago, billchao said:

Golf information is obviously technical and people have more ways than ever before to communicate the information to the public, but an informative video about a certain facet of the swing is not the same thing as a lesson.

Instructors have to communicate somewhat "technically" when they're making an AMG-like video… because how else could you really do it?

• 1 month later...

this is solely from my experience.

I've worked with some pretty notable coaches, most of them didn't do it for me. Too "feel" oriented and not systematic and technical enough. always left feeling like i learnt nothing because a feel is dependent on the day. 

From my pov, it seems like european/scandinavian coaching is way more systematic and model based producing way technically sounder swings, whilst american coaching is more feel based producing more unique swings.

I might be completely off but thats what i see.

also im very against this shallowing, butt twist, gankasy swing style. it seems like theyre trying to complicate it more than it should be/use fancier terms ways to seem like theyre more knowledgable but idk. again my thoughts.

Edited by suhhhduddd
extra info
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1