IGNORED

From How Far Away Could You Win the Masters?

colin007

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Such an unrealistic expectation.

In the 2022 PGA Tour season, the PGA tour GIR average from 100-125yds was only 75%, and some very very good players, Reed, Hatton, Hovland, etc were under 70%. Think about that. Patrick Reed hit less than 7 out of 10 greens from 100-125 and you expect to hit the green every time from 100yds at Augusta as a 12 handicap?? 

Yes, delusion can run strong around here at times 😆. It is not just hitting the green, but also holding it. I can envision that perhaps this can require hitting the correct quadrant of the green sometimes.

My answer was going to be 50 to 60 yards in as I am playing good with the wedge from that distance. If you don't have a flat or uphill putt, 3 putts are very likely.

Edited by Carl3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I would say 100 yards, a partial PW shot to each green. I was going to say 8 iron, but I can pull that and it would be bad for holes like 11.

If I can get my number to 100 yards by this time next year, I'll be happy with that. My concern is how I need to get to about 12-under with the entire world watching me and the other pros trying to beat me from their tees. All the interviews between rounds, etc. What if like some Cam Smith guy is 13-under with four to go and we're tied? I'm trying to factor in how intense that might be 😆

• Funny 1

Constantine

My average score on par 3s is 3.25 (not great and something I need to improve). My home course plays par 3s out to 220yds. So I’m going with 220yds. I almost want to stretch that out to 300yds for my driver because I would still be close to or on every green from the tee, but I don’t really have an average score for that distance. I’d guess 3.5-3.75 and I don’t know if that’s good enough. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

17 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

Pains me to say it but I'm gonna go with 50 yards right now. I'll reply again in a year and hopefully that number is farther back! 😄

That’s not bad. I’m thinking I might not win from 50’.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

That’s not bad. I’m thinking I might not win from 50’.

True. Also... I wish we could actually know what our individual number was!

Constantine

4 hours ago, klineka said:

Such an unrealistic expectation.

Fair enough. But 100 yard par 3s, 4s, and 5s, i.e. a 1,800 yard course? Unless I misunderstood the post, it sets up as probably the greatest FIR/GIR performance of all time.... even for a weekend hack. Where do I sign?? 💪

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

On 10/18/2022 at 12:57 PM, TourSpoon said:

I am also of the opinion that regardless of reasonable length, you still have to place your ball in the correct spot on the green and putt. That seems to be key. I would love to give this a try so that I can hit from 90 yards on the par 3s, 225 on the par 4s, and 400 on the par 5s. I am not sure I would take a green jacket, but it would be a blast trying! 

I think the exercise is to pick one distance that is used in all the holes.

Colin P.

25 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Yea that's how I'm thinking about it, and if your number is longer than the yardages on 12 and 16 for example, we're all just assuming you're playing those from the same tees as the pros. 

For me, I was thinking just a 50 yard shot over the water into fifteen could be challenging as hell if I dunk the first shot for example.

Edited by JetFan1983

Constantine

2 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Yah, I made the same mistake in my first post. I picked a distance for my 2nd shots instead of tee shots.

Vishal S.

4 hours ago, colin007 said:

Fine, I will go with 90 yards and I think that would probably get me the green jacket.  Given the green complexes and speed, it may be more challenging than I imagine, so the green jacket I get could be from JC Penney. 🤣

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I once, 20 years ago, played the course from the tips. I was a decent player at the time a 4 or 5. I shot around 120 for what that is worth. Today 25 yards with a caddie. I still have a decent short game.

Edited by Groundhog34
  • Thumbs Up 1