IGNORED

Spining and Flo of Quality Iron Shafts - Worth it?

bking

On 11/17/2022 at 5:31 AM, GolfLug said:

It can't hurt though if you don't mind spending the money. It's a fun experience in learning the construction side of golf clubs. The FLO-ing makes more sense - you want the orientation with the least amount of wobble in your shaft oscillation. Marking and installing it correctly takes some skill I hear.  

If you are interested in learning more then there is SST puring which you can't do yourself but it gets into finding consistency for more complex shaft properties like twist and torque at impact (multi-planar/axial stuff). 

Now, as @boogielicious implies, does it make a difference to weekend hacks like us? Probably nothing worth writing home about.  

I really wish that the magnitude of improvement in consistency likely on offer here would make a noticeable difference in my shot-making 😆😣

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, mdl said:

I really wish that the magnitude of improvement in consistency likely on offer here would make a noticeable difference in my shot-making 😆😣

Lol.. I hear ya. TBH skill/consistency is a differentiator but more so is the sheer number of shots one has to hit to gain enough strokes for this type of improvement to be a significant one. Just spit-balling numbers, if you play 100+ rounds a year, you are a very well-qualified candidate regardless of your HCP, IMO.  Of course, if you are playing that much golf, chances are you are a decent ball-striker anyway.  

Vishal S.

3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Lol.. I hear ya. TBH skill/consistency is a differentiator but more so is the sheer number of shots one has to hit to gain enough strokes for this type of improvement to be a significant one. Just spit-balling numbers, if you play 100+ rounds a year, you are a very well-qualified candidate regardless of your HCP, IMO.  Of course, if you are playing that much golf, chances are you are a decent ball-striker anyway.  

100+ rounds = retired 😂

arthritics hobbling around and searching for their ball not necessarily great ball strikers. This is the jealousy in me coming out. 

OK, thanks everyone for the input - it's about what I expected and very much in line with what I was guessing. 

Summary:

1. I didn't think it was going to be of much value given both the quality of the shafts and the "quality" of my game. 

2. I MAY at some point experiment with it on spare clubs just to get some experience, but not as part of my primary project - reshafting my clubs.

3. IF I decide to do that, it appears to me that doing both is a total waste, and FLO overlaps spining enough to make that the "tool" of choice.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, I'll be adding a post following along with my project - successes, failures, lessons learned,  observations, etc.  and I'd REALLY appreciate any and all comments on that thread.  So far, I've bought all the tools I need and completed the first step ior two, so I'll get that post up and going sometime this weekend. Hope some folks find it interesting, and hope even more will chime in with advice, etc.

Edited by bking
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

How do most people feel about having a golf club shaft spine lined up at a particular orientation to the clubface?

1. How do you locate the spine?

2. What orientation to the clubface is best?

11 minutes ago, NHpro said:

How do most people feel about having a golf club shaft spine lined up at a particular orientation to the clubface?

1. How do you locate the spine?

2. What orientation to the clubface is best?

lol. I have zero belief this has a measurable effect. No idea what any data says, that’s my opinion otherwise.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge