Jump to content
IGNORED

World Cup 2022


Abu3baid
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’m referring to the new technology being used. With that in mind, it’s not any more difficult to see one’s nose than a foot in the air.

Sorry, but bullshit. Hockey (before they changed the rules) was constantly trying to figure out whether a player's skate was on the ice or lifted above it. In football, they still struggle to know exactly when a player's foot is down, or a knee, etc.

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yep. It is. It’s just being silly and ambiguous to claim otherwise. Players aren’t standing on their heads or jumping in the air when they’re off ball.

No, it's not. Their feet do not determine their position on the field, and they can score with their forehead. Or chest. Or thigh. Or ass.

Tell me, what's this player's position "on the field"? Or is he not on the field at all, seeing as how he's above it?

gettyimages-146644047.jpg

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Right. So have I. And our offside was never monitored by video review technology. A ref has never told you you were offside because your nose was past a defender. That’s my point. The reason offsides rule was made was not to keep a player motionless to prevent any part of his body other than hands/arms to protrude past a defender. 😃

The rules are the same for my level of play as they are at the World Cup. Any body part except the arms and hands is counted.

Your point isn't even accurate.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Spain’s keeper just performed the worst PK round in the history of the WC. He could’ve saved two goals literally by standing still. Awful. Just awful.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Spain’s keeper just performed the worst PK round in the history of the WC. He could’ve saved two goals literally by standing still. Awful. Just awful.

Let's just hope nobody in Spain goes all Andres Escobar on him.

That would be tragic. People take this stuff way too seriously. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It would be interesting to see how many people lost money on the Spain / Morocco game.   Spain was one of the favorites!

 

England / France should be good.  I believe the French will win

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/6/2022 at 5:08 PM, dennyjones said:

It would be interesting to see how many people lost money on the Spain / Morocco game.   Spain was one of the favorites!

 

England / France should be good.  I believe the French will win

Yeah. And did you see the stats for that game!? Spain was like 77% POS, 13 SOG vs 4? Tough break for Spain. But goodness that was a pretty poor PK round performance.

  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah. And did you see the stats for that game!? Spain was like 77% POS, 13 SOG vs 4? Tough break for Spain. But goodness that was a pretty poor PK round performance.

I loathe ending games with PKs. Play til you drop or do pull downs. The most exciting game I ever saw (actually I coached it) was a U12 girls game for the league championship. We did 8 extra times with a pull down on each one after the first. We got down to 5 on 5. We ended up scoring and winning but it was fantastic.

It was during the Men’s World cup too. I remarked to the parents that this game was far more fun to watch than the world cup and they agreed. 0 to 0 games with PKs stink to watch.

  • Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I loathe ending games with PKs. Play til you drop or do pull downs. The most exciting game I ever saw (actually I coached it) was a U12 girls game for the league championship. We did 8 extra times with a pull down on each one after the first. We got down to 5 on 5. We ended up scoring and winning but it was fantastic.

It was during the Men’s World cup too. I remarked to the parents that this game was far more fun to watch than the world cup and they agreed. 0 to 0 games with PKs stink to watch.

Hey @boogielicious Personally, I agree with you about PK's. 

Having said that there is some data that supports the other side of the argument. 

As you probably know over the last two decades or so soccer has been the fastest growing sport in America, both in terms of kids playing it and in terms of viewership. (Some of the viewership numbers are tough to calculate due to the fact that it is often streamed rather than broadcasted, but most seem to agree that more and more folks are viewing it. Hell even my parents watch it and I can literally remember them saying "We'll never watch soccer.... blah blah blah..." 

Anyway, a lot of people who are smarter than me believe those viewers have come at the expense of folks watching baseball. Baseball's viewership in the US is lower than its ever been. 

So, where am I going with this? 

Well, there are those that profess that one thing people like about soccer is that it's over in 90 minutes... maybe 100 minutes with some added time from the referees. Rarely any longer than that. You pretty much know that when you sit down to watch a soccer game in less than 2 hours you can get back to your life. 

Baseball, on the other hand, had been up until the 1950's been about a 90 minute game. (I know, there's not clock, so it varies. But that was about the average.) Even the World Series games didn't last much longer than that. Then during the television era the game stretched to about 2-1/2 hours, which is where it was as late as the early 1990's. Now, a baseball game is about a 4 hour or more investment of time. Some of the recent World Series have stretched past the 5 hour mark. 

So, although I'd prefer another way to end the games other than penalty kicks. I do appreciate the fact that soccer seems to realize that everyone is busy. We need to get back to our lives. 

AND ... I do think it is one of the reasons soccer has in a lot of ways over-taken baseball in terms of fandom and participation. It's a choice between watching an event which might take 90 minutes and an event which might take 5 hours. 

So, I don't like ending the game with PK's.... But I kinda like em too. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
29 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Hey @boogielicious Personally, I agree with you about PK's. 

Having said that there is some data that supports the other side of the argument. 

As you probably know over the last two decades or so soccer has been the fastest growing sport in America, both in terms of kids playing it and in terms of viewership. (Some of the viewership numbers are tough to calculate due to the fact that it is often streamed rather than broadcasted, but most seem to agree that more and more folks are viewing it. Hell even my parents watch it and I can literally remember them saying "We'll never watch soccer.... blah blah blah..." 

Anyway, a lot of people who are smarter than me believe those viewers have come at the expense of folks watching baseball. Baseball's viewership in the US is lower than its ever been. 

So, where am I going with this? 

Well, there are those that profess that one thing people like about soccer is that it's over in 90 minutes... maybe 100 minutes with some added time from the referees. Rarely any longer than that. You pretty much know that when you sit down to watch a soccer game in less than 2 hours you can get back to your life. 

Baseball, on the other hand, had been up until the 1950's been about a 90 minute game. (I know, there's not clock, so it varies. But that was about the average.) Even the World Series games didn't last much longer than that. Then during the television era the game stretched to about 2-1/2 hours, which is where it was as late as the early 1990's. Now, a baseball game is about a 4 hour or more investment of time. Some of the recent World Series have stretched past the 5 hour mark. 

So, although I'd prefer another way to end the games other than penalty kicks. I do appreciate the fact that soccer seems to realize that everyone is busy. We need to get back to our lives. 

AND ... I do think it is one of the reasons soccer has in a lot of ways over-taken baseball in terms of fandom and participation. It's a choice between watching an event which might take 90 minutes and an event which might take 5 hours. 

So, I don't like ending the game with PK's.... But I kinda like em too. 

90 minutes is good for the average game, but this is the World Cup knockout round. Keep playing!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

90 minutes is good for the average game, but this is the World Cup knockout round. Keep playing!

I don't disagree.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't like PK finishes, but I'm not sure the alternative of really, really, really tired players continuing until a goal is scored is is great either.

PK does add a special type of tension/anxiety which can be entertaining and memorable. I still remember Roberto Baggio hitting his PK over the goal versus Brazil in 1994 final.

-Peter

  • :cobra: King RADSPEED
  • :pxg: GEN4 0341XF, Fairway
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
13 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

PK does add a special type of tension/anxiety which can be entertaining and memorable. I still remember Roberto Baggio hitting his PK over the goal versus Brazil in 1994 final.

I remember that. Didn’t he sit there for like an hour?

Still, 22 dog tired players trying to score in the 180th minute would have tension too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

Messi is going to get an Academy Award along with the Golden Boot!

The ref has lost control of the game too.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Brazil is really upset I’m sure, but let’s be straight that Croatia isn’t pushover.  They have been in it before and know how to deal with pressure.  

Argentina got away with one, and my hats off to Netherlands for their play.

Today matches are going to be exciting.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
4 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

Brazil is really upset I’m sure, but let’s be straight that Croatia isn’t pushover.  They have been in it before and know how to deal with pressure.  

Argentina got away with one, and my hats off to Netherlands for their play.

Today matches are going to be exciting.

With so many yellows and a really long match, Argentina put themselves in a whole for the next match.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

With so many yellows and a really long match, Argentina put themselves in a whole for the next match.

Wholy cow that was bad..😜

I'm pulling for them though.

Vishal S.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
33 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Wholy cow that was bad..😜

I'm pulling for them though.

It’s really on the ref too. He let lots of chippy contact go early. Players then sense he’s going to let things go. Then they get too rough and he starts booking them. Also, Messi totally had this ref figured out and was masterful in his flops. The Dutch were laughing in extra time with every call involving Messi. 

I would have given a yellow to the Dutch keeper near the end of the second half. He caught the ball and intentionally elbowed the Argentina forward in the head, then stood over him taunting. The made him look stupid in the PKs though.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The made him look stupid in the PKs though.

He did that all by himself by making the ass-of-the-century strategy to just guess which way to dive.😃

  • Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

It’s really on the ref too. He let lots of chippy contact go early. Players then sense he’s going to let things go. Then they get too rough and he starts booking them. Also, Messi totally had this ref figured out and was masterful in his flops. The Dutch were laughing in extra time with every call involving Messi. 

I would have given a yellow to the Dutch keeper near the end of the second half. He caught the ball and intentionally elbowed the Argentina forward in the head, then stood over him taunting. The made him look stupid in the PKs though.

I mean, they surely didn't think they were getting away with the semi brawls. The energy was simply too high in the game for them to contain themselves. Neither team was going to get pushed around.

9 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

He did that all by himself by making the ass-of-the-century strategy to just guess which way to dive.😃

Both goalies had there stand over and taunt moments. Argentinian goalie stood over De Jong almost dick-out after one of his conquests. That got ugly-ish..lol.

All chores and errands have been put on hold for today's games.

Are we not entertained??!!. Woohoo!

 

Vishal S.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...