IGNORED

Which Holes in One "Count"?

iacas

Holes in One  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these holes in one "count"? Choose all that do.

• First ball, regular par-70-ish course, on a par three
    • Mulligan on the above
    • Hole in one on a regular course where you don't play all 18 holes (or even nine holes)
    • Playing temporary par-three tees on a par-four or -five hole due to construction/maintenance
    • Par three course, > 100 yards
    • Par three course, < 100 yards
    • Par three, regular course, < 100 yards
    • Par three, regular course, < 75 yards
    • Simulator par three

I picked all except mulligan and simulator.

I don't understand any argument against any of the other options including temporary greens. If it counts as one on the scorecard, it counts as hole in one. Period.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

I picked all except mulligan and simulator.

I don't understand any argument against any of the other options including temporary greens. If it counts as one on the scorecard, it counts as hole in one. Period.

The only ones I'm fuzzy on, would be on a pitch and putt course. 
There's a pitch and putt near where I live on which the longest hole is 104 yards. 4 of the 9 holes are under 70 yards. It's designed more as a short game practice facility than a golf course. If I made a hole in one there, I'd be excited; It would be cool. But I wouldn't count it as a "real" hole-in-one. 

3 reasons:

1. It didn't happen on a real golf course.
  2. On a pitch and putt you get a lot more chances at a hole in one than you do in "real" life. 
  3. A pitch and putt is good for practice, but it's closer to mini-golf than it is to "real" golf. 

But I could be wrong. What do you think? If you can play the entire course with 2 wedges and a putter, should that hole-in-one "count"? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

25 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The only ones I'm fuzzy on, would be on a pitch and putt course. ..

...What do you think? If you can play the entire course with 2 wedges and a putter, should that hole-in-one "count"? 

I might be inclined to say, "I have a hole-in-one, but it was on a pitch & putt course." Ultimately, if you think it counts, it counts. I have been lucky and have 4 aces, two were witnessed, two were not. Some people will say I have 2 aces. I think I have 4. I know I made a "1" hitting a single tee shot on a par-3 hole, during an 18-hole round, from a USGA-rated set of tees, four times. All 4 shots met my standards. Another person might have more stringent or looser standards.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The only ones I'm fuzzy on, would be on a pitch and putt course. 
There's a pitch and putt near where I live on which the longest hole is 104 yards. 4 of the 9 holes are under 70 yards. It's designed more as a short game practice facility than a golf course. If I made a hole in one there, I'd be excited; It would be cool. But I wouldn't count it as a "real" hole-in-one. 

3 reasons:

1. It didn't happen on a real golf course.
  2. On a pitch and putt you get a lot more chances at a hole in one than you do in "real" life. 
  3. A pitch and putt is good for practice, but it's closer to mini-golf than it is to "real" golf. 

But I could be wrong. What do you think? If you can play the entire course with 2 wedges and a putter, should that hole-in-one "count"? 

I guess if the pitch and putt course score is accepted for HCPing (IIRC, it has to be over 1,500 yards for 9 holes) then hell yes.. it's a 'real' course and there would be no * on the HIO, but if it is not like the one you are talking about then I guess I would go with what @bkuehn1952states, it's still a HIO even if a bit lame. But unlike him, unless someone asks I will not be volunteering any 'unnecessary information'... heh heh. That's a lot of 'uns' in a sentence but I uncare. 😜     

I was hoping to get one at the Sandbox last year so that I can check that box off. As of now, I wait for my first lucky bounce.   

• Funny 1

Vishal S.

On 11/28/2022 at 3:34 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

I've heard of guys saying they'd count a hole-in-one on a simulator. Personally, I don't.

But I can't imagine anyone would "count" a hole-in-one with a Mulligan. 

IF we are counting simulators, I have killed a million zombies and rescued numerous princesses! I have had many, many hole in ones while playing Tiger Woods golf on what ever gaming platform my kids have!

I was on the tee when someone in my group used a mulligan and then declared a second mulligan as a "breakfast ball" and sank it on his umpteenth shot.
He still talks about the hole in one, although he brings up the mulligan was asked by a round to go with the hole in one!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

38 minutes ago, Elmer said:

IF we are counting simulators, I have killed a million zombies and rescued numerous princesses! I have had many, many hole in ones while playing Tiger Woods golf on what ever gaming platform my kids have!

I was on the tee when someone in my group used a mulligan and then declared a second mulligan as a "breakfast ball" and sank it on his umpteenth shot.
He still talks about the hole in one, although he brings up the mulligan was asked by a round to go with the hole in one!

All is good as long as he bought you and friends two rounds of drinks in the clubhouse grill.  Though your friend should never mention his "hole-in-one" without the immediately attached disclaimer that it was his second try on the hole.

18 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

All is good as long as he bought you and friends two rounds of drinks in the clubhouse grill.  Though your friend should never mention his "hole-in-one" without the immediately attached disclaimer that it was his second try on the hole.

Nope, no drinks.
The same guy also talks about his countless holes in one, while playing rounds alone.
I usually counter by discussing my high school girlfriend, who lived in Canada!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

15 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Nope, no drinks.
The same guy also talks about his countless holes in one, while playing rounds alone.
I usually counter by discussing my high school girlfriend, who lived in Canada!

That sounds like a conversation that would demand a lot of drinks. Strong ones.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I think if he calls that a hole-in-one he is going to be pissing off the golf gods. (Yes, the golf gods are real and they are a bunch of fickle bitches.) 

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
1669937592600.png

We know a hole-in-one while playing as a single technically doesn't count, but this golfer was desperate for any sort of witness

I didn't make "solo round hole in one" as an option, but… I'd count this one. Who cares if there were no witnesses? If you're being honest, the ball went in the hole from the tees on a regular hole on a regular course. I'd count it.

If I make my first this way, I'm counting it and telling the story.

And if I make my first by blading the ball from the tee and skipping it off a rock in a creek or any other horrible shot that gets freakishly lucky, I'm not counting it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

First ball, regular par-70-ish course, on a par three - That is obviously a hole-in-one.
Mulligan on the above - Of course not. 
Hole in one on a regular course where you don't play all 18 holes (or even nine holes) - Somebody came off the range and played two holes near the range, the last of which was a par 3. He dunked it and claimed a hole-in-one. To him, he can claim it I guess, but we have a club rule where it has to be at least nine holes to be officially noted by the club. I helped write the rule, so I guess that tells you where I stand.
Playing temporary par-three tees on a par-four or -five hole due to construction/maintenance - Why not? Go for it.
Par three course, > 100 yards - Yes. It's a real golf hole.
Par three course, < 100 yards - Yes. It's a real golf hole.
Par three, regular course, < 100 yards - Yes. It's a real golf hole.
Par three, regular course, < 75 yards - Yes. It's a real golf hole.
Simulator par three - No. It's not a real golf hole. 

Bill M

I missed this first time around. Totally fun!

I said no to mulligan and simulator. Obviously :-D. And an ace on a standard par 3 on a regular course doesn't need discussion except the special cases below! For the rest:

• Ace when you're playing a partial round: Yes. I don't care what the USGA says! If I sneak out after work and play 7 holes before dark and ace one of the par 3s, that's a f***ing ace!
  • Temporary par 3: Depends. Temp green, no. Temp tee box at reasonable (as in, in range of where the approach shot is expected to be hit) par 3 length from the designed green, almost surely yes.
  • < 75 yards on a regular course: No. That just shouldn't happen from the correct tees even for short hitters.
  • < 100 yards on a regular course: Yes. Assuming you're playing the correct tees. If I'm playing a 6400-7000 yard 18 hole course and there happens to be a 94 yard par 3 that's designed as such, I'm def counting that! Somewhat arbitrary, but hey, that's golf!
  • Par 3 course: Depends. We have a nice nine hole par 3 course near my house where I play with my daughter. I play the front tees with her, so the holes are mostly 65-100 yards. I wouldn't count it if I holed out a 75 yarder. But playing the back tees there it's not long but it's mostly in the 115-160 range. As in, totally reasonable if on the shorter end par 3s. And the greens aren't always in the greatest shape but they're surprisingly interesting and contoured. So I'd count an ace from that range.

On 11/28/2022 at 2:07 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

With the "Choose All that Do" notation it seems the total could/would be far more than a total of 100%.  Isn't there a way to set up polls like that?

The USGA says a hole-in-one needs to happen in an 18 or 9 hole round.

I would count a hole-in-one on Pebble Beach #7... especially into the ocean winds, where some tournament pros have hit 3 or 2 irons.

Agreed it's dumb the choose any you want poll reports percent of total votes. Obviously what we care about is percent of respondents who said yes for each answer independently!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

1 hour ago, mdl said:

We have a nice nine hole par 3 course near my house where I play with my daughter. I play the front tees with her, so the holes are mostly 65-100 yards. I wouldn't count it if I holed out a 75 yarder.

Unless you're totally anti-participation trophies, and your daughter is under 15, then if she makes a hole-in-one on that par 3 course you should not only count it, but you should whoop, holler and jump up and down!  And don't mention that you wouldn't count it if it were yours.

Then, off to the malt shop, where she's buying...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/9/2022 at 1:50 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Unless you're totally anti-participation trophies, and your daughter is under 15, then if she makes a hole-in-one on that par 3 course you should not only count it, but you should whoop, holler and jump up and down!  And don't mention that you wouldn't count it if it were yours.

Then, off to the malt shop, where she's buying...

Haha. Obviously. I was talking about what I'd count for myself. I would hype that ace until the day I die :-D

Edited by mdl
  • Funny 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Obviously mulligans and simulators shouldn't count.   I started with only rated golf courses should count but there are some cow patches around here that aren't USGA rate and if I hit a HIO on those, I'd count it.   I don't believe that a pitch and putt should count but it's still bragging fodder.   I don't believe that it makes a difference if it's from the red tees or the blacks, it should still count.     A temporary hole on a regulation course counts.    

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny