IGNORED

Abduction and Protraction of the Lead Shoulder Early in the Backswing

iacas

1 hour ago, iacas said:

That would decrease (the adduction angle would be a smaller number) the "adduction angle" and increase the adduction itself (the lead arm would be "more adducted").

Uh yea. I think you knew what I meant, I just wrote it wrong 😃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, iacas said:

People who use their arms to move the club "around" them pull the trail elbow too far toward the shirt seam (or past it) and pull their lead arm too far across their chest. If this "around with the arms" is minimized… you can keep the adduction angle wide/big.

Ok. I think this applies to me squarely if I am making the right connection in my head.

Vishal S.

On 12/3/2022 at 4:04 AM, GolfLug said:

Ok. I think this applies to me squarely if I am making the right connection in my head.

This whole video is worth watching, but the marked spot below shows what many amateurs do and then what you should be doing.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

1 hour ago, mdl said:

This whole video is worth watching, but the marked spot below shows what many amateurs do and then what you should be doing.

Thanks. Makes sense. Have been trying keep the triangle from collapsing. This explanation helps. 

Vishal S.

20 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Thanks. Makes sense. Have been trying keep the triangle from collapsing. This explanation helps. 

It's been a long road for me, and I still fall back into getting wide, wide, wide.... narrow at the top :-D But this video and the explanation that you can get most of your arm rotation back using the SC joint rather than the shoulder joint really helped me take a step forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 8:14 PM, mdl said:

After reading the first several posts I had an idea what Erik was referring to but this video really got me to understand.  I liked the Bow & Arrow part as that got me to feel what I should be working towards.  I know I have other flaws in my swing but this may be where I focus for a while in hopes to stop pinning my right arm against my rib cage.  I think that was #5 issue in a different thread.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I was taught early something about the right elbow, something that's also in @iacas's teachings in several places, regarding not getting your right elbow stuck behind you, not over-bending it, etc. 

When I do the L-protraction/R-retraction moves like suggested in the AMG video, an alarm goes off in my mind "oh no, you're getting your elbow stuck behind you." 

I realize that's not actually happening, but it shows again how our feels or ideas are not only not "real," but often wrong and counterproductive. I can't to drill this a little bit more and see if it improves things. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

What helps me, are slow motion swings and blind folded position drills at home. Done daily, changes seem to transfer over to range practice. Bringing it to the game is a whole nother level.