IGNORED

2022: A Year to Remember in Women's Golf

Tontj5

2022: A Year to Remember in Women’s Golf

When Michael Whan took over as Commissioner of the LPGA in 2010, one of his initial goals was the make the LPGA a “global tour.” Whan is no longer with the LPGA, having left last year after 11 seasons, but it has never been more apparent how successful he was in achieving that goal.

The LPGA had a record breaking fourteen countries that had at least one player that won a tournament in 2022. Yes, it was surely a year to remember in women’s golf.

For the second consecutive year the USA was the country with the most wins. Its eight wins were double any other country. Here is a list of every country that had a winner this year:

United States – (8 wins) – Jennifer Kupcho (3 wins, one with Lizette Salas as partner), Danielle Kang, Marina Alex, Ally Ewing, Andrea Lee, Nelly Korda.

Republic of Korea (4) – Jin Young Ko, Hyo-Joo Kim, Eun-Hee Ji, In Gee Chun

New Zealand (3) – Lydia Ko (3 wins)

Thailand (2) – Atthaya Thitikul (2wins)

Japan (2) – Nasa Hataoka, Ayaka Furue

Australia (2) – Minjee Lee (2 wins)

Canada (2) – Brooke Henderson (2 wins)

South Africa (2) – Ashleigh Buhai, Paula Reto

England (2) – Charley Hull, Jodi Ewart Shadoff

Ireland (1) – Leona Maguire

Denmark (1) – Nanna Koerstz Madsen

Sweden (1) – Maja Stark

Mexico (1) – Gaby Lopez

Scotland (1) – Gemma Dryburgh

Atthaya-Thitikul-at-the-2022-US-Womens-O

Atthaya Thitikul at the 2022 US Women’s Open.

There were also five major championship winners from five different countries:

The Chevron Championship – Jennifer Kupcho – USA

U.S Women’s Open – Minjee Lee – Australia

KPMG Women’s PGA Championship – In Gee Chun – Republic of Korea

Amundi Evian Championship – Brooke Henderson – Canada

AIG British Open – Ashleigh Buhai – South Africa

Yes, it was quite the year to remember.

First Time Winners

There were also a record breaking eleven first time winners:

Leona Maguire – LPGA Drive on Championship

Nanna Koerstz Madsen – Honda LPGA Thailand

Atthaya Thitikul – JTBC Classic and Walmart NW Arkansas Championship

Jennifer Kupcho – The Chevron Championship, Meijer LPGA Classic, Dow Great lakes

Ayaka Furue – Trust Women’s Scottish Open

Ashleigh Buhai – AIG Women’s Open

Maja Stark – ISPS Handa World International

Paula Reto – CP Women’s Open

Andrea Lee – Portland Classic

Jodi Ewart Shadsoff – LPGA MEDIHEAL Championship

Gemma Dryburgh – Toto Japan Classic

The Rolex Player of the Year was Lydia Ko

The Vare trophy was won by Lydia Ko

The Rolex Rookie of the Year award was won by Atthaya Thitikul

Lydia Ko and Jennifer Kupcho led the tour in wins with three

Atthaya Thitikul had the most top tens with sixteen

Lydia Ko led the tour in putting with 1.72 putts per greens in regulation

Maria Fassi was the longest driver on tour averaging 279.3 yards

The player who finished the highest on the money list (6th) without a win – Hye-Jin Choi

The player that finished the lowest on the money list with a win (49th) Nanna Koerts Madsen

Atthaya-Thitikul-2022-US-Womens-Open-Ben

Atthaya Thitikul – 2022 US Womens Open

Other Notes

Lydia Ko picked up two more Hall of Fame points at the end of the season for winning Player of the Year and the Vare Trophy. She now has 25 points. Twenty-seven is needed for induction.

There were five players who did not miss a cut all season on the LPGA Tour: Lydia Ko, Hye-Jin Choi, Hannah Green, Georgia Hall, and Danielle Kang.

The final field of eight countries for the 2023 Hanwa Lifeplus International Crown is now set.The eight countries were determined by the combined Rolex Women’s World Rankings of the top four players from each country as of November 21st.The USA and Korea tied with 35 points followed by Japan (85), Sweden (120), Thailand (183), England (187), Australia (298), and the Republic of China (446). South Africa just missed getting in with 475. The players that will represent each country have not yet been determined. That will be finalized on April 23, 2023. The top four Rolex ranked players from each country on that day will qualify.

The LPGA announced their 2023 schedule. There will be 33 official tournaments plus the Solheim Cup and the International Crown. They will be playing for a record breaking $101.4 million.

Congratulations should also be given out to Linn Grant who was the winner of the Costa Del Sol title, which is given to the player of the year on the Ladies European Tour.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • boogielicious changed the title to 2022: A Year to Remember in Women's Golf

So outside of the fact that a large number of countries were represented in tournament winners and someone from a different country won every major, what exactly about the 2022 women's golf season made it a year to remember? There were multiple women who won multiple times so it wasn't like someone came out and won 6 times or completely dominated or something.

If a guy from a different country won every men's major and a large number of countries were represented in tournament winners I wouldn't call it a season to remember just based on those things alone. So far in 2023 Rahm has already matched Lydia Ko's 2022 season win total with 3 and he has half as many (7) top tens in his first 7 starts as Ko (14) did in 22 starts.

You just rattled off a bunch of facts about the season without really explaining what made it a year to remember, but a writeup similar to this could be done every single season on both the men's and women's years regardless of if it was a year to remember or not. 

What made 2022 unique in the women's game? I'm not meaning to be argumentative here, I don't follow women's golf that closely so I'm genuinely curious what, in your opinion, made the 2022 women's season a year to remember? What made it stand out over other years?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tony J. writes about women’s golf and posts his articles on numerous websites. Headlines seek to capture our attention. “2022: A Year to Remember…” catches one’s eye more than “2022: Another Year of Women’s Golf”  😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades