IGNORED

2023 PGA Championship Thread

colin007

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Who fears him?

Nearly everyone else. Not many have beaten him when he's been near the lead? He beat Tiger at the 2018 PGA. He beat everyone at four other majors, and has finished second many times (i.e. beat 153 other dudes).

He might be a douche, but to pretend he's not "feared" within the context of winning a golf tournament? Of course he is.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

And he probably is dumb enough to not understand how he does it himself. But it's uncanny. If I see him in the rear view mirror on a Sunday afternoon at one I would probably yip a 4-footer or two from just the thought of it. 

I think he knows. I believe he said he focuses on majors only. He has a process to go after these tournaments. 

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nearly everyone else. Not many have beaten him when he's been near the lead? He beat Tiger at the 2018 PGA. He beat everyone at four other majors, and has finished second many times (i.e. beat 153 other dudes).

He might be a douche, but to pretend he's not "feared" within the context of winning a golf tournament? Of course he is.

I agree. I do not think most golfers want to see him with in range on Sunday. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

40 minutes ago, iacas said:

Pretending he’s not feared?  I don’t buy that he’s feared. He’s not a Tyson, Jordan, Tiger type of athlete.

@GolfLug Respected?  Sure, he’s a great player.  I’m sure they all respect his game.

Imagine all the wins Brooks would have if he had Rory’s length! 😏

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Pretending he’s not feared?  I don’t buy that he’s feared. He’s not a Tyson, Jordan, Tiger type of athlete.

@GolfLug Respected?  Sure, he’s a great player.  I’m sure they all respect his game.

Let us be blunt.  Post Tiger there have only been two athletes that have been feared at a similar level.  One was Rory when he won 4 majors in a span of three or four years and the other was Brooks when he won 4 majors in 2 or 3 years.  In fact, if Brooks hadn't gotten injured, there is no reason he couldn't have had many more majors.  In fact, given he came second at the Masters and now won the PGA, I would say everybody fears him.  His body remaining healthy, there is no reason he can't win another couple of majors very soon.  I would have to say he is the favourite for both the remaining majors this year

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Oh boy. He is winning majors at a Tiger-like clip. So, still, yes.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, IMO in this age of parity it's kinda ridiculous actually. 

Vishal S.

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

There was a big gap between the last one and this one though. Injuries happened to cause the gap. Players get hot and cold too. I’m not sure if ‘feared’ is the right term either. Other players will expect him to play his best in the US Open. Same as Rahm, Scheffler, etc.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

There was a big gap between the last one and this one though. Injuries happened to cause the gap. Players get hot and cold too. I’m not sure if ‘feared’ is the right term either. Other players will expect him to play his best in the US Open. Same as Rahm, Scheffler, etc.

If he’s not feared nobody is.

So if he’s not feared you’re setting a ridiculously high bar only GOATS achieve.

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Imagine all the wins Brooks would have if he had Rory’s length! 😏

He’s got the length. He needs Block’s wedge game 😜

• Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 5/25/2023 at 7:14 AM, iacas said:

Yeah, dude, no.

If that was the case you’d be on Tour and winning things. Not a lot but you’d be out there.

At least he realizes it is not all about putting.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Regarding Brooks, I'm in the "feared is not the right word" camp. When I think of fear with regards to sports, I think of a cornerback needing to make a tackle on Jerome Bettis or Barry Sanders in the open field, being in man coverage against Randy Moss, standing in the batter's box against prime Pedro Martinez or Mariano Rivera, or Michael Jordan with the ball to make a game winning shot. I just don't get a sense that professional golfers are afraid of other professional golfers in tournaments, maybe afraid of making a mistake, but not of an opponent.

I get what the OP meant though. When Brooks's game is firing on all cylinders in a major, he does not make mistakes and simply takes care of business closing out the tournament. When he had to take a penalty drop on #5 (?) and was hitting his third from 200+ out of the wet rough, he still got on the green with chance for par, and Hovland didn't capitalize and had to scramble from the bunker. At that point, I was pretty confident Brooks was going to win.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

It’s fear within a sports context. Nobody is actually afraid that Brooks is going to murder or injure them or cause them some physical harm.

3 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I just don't get a sense that professional golfers are afraid of other professional golfers in tournaments, maybe afraid of making a mistake, but not of an opponent.

I think the point is that any golfer would much rather see a lot of other golfers other than BK going into Sunday if they’re at the top.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, iacas said:

If he’s not feared nobody is.

So if he’s not feared you’re setting a ridiculously high bar only GOATS achieve.

Thats my point. Fear is the wrong word. Tiger 1999 - 2008 had that status. He was winning 1 in 4 tournaments he entered. BK is playing great now, but he’s not at that level.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Thats my point. Fear is the wrong word. Tiger 1999 - 2008 had that status. He was winning 1 in 4 tournaments he entered. BK is playing great now, but he’s not at that level.

He almost is, though.

Throw out the years he was injured - when he's healthy, he's winning at a Tiger-like clip.

If you're going to reserve the word fear, as I said before, for either of the two, then there's not even a f***ing point:

• only GOAT-level performances
  • only inflicting physical pain or death

In the context of golf, Brooks may be the most fearsome golfer out there right now, and (when uninjured [red in the image below])…

brooks_record.png

That's pretty f***ing good.

Five wins since the PGA in 2017. From that event onward, and not counting the red ones (the MC in the Masters in 2021 was odd):

• Brooks has played in 17 majors.
  • He's won five of them (29.4%).
  • Even counting the injured ones, he's at 21.7%. Not much below your 1-in-4, there, Scott.
  • He's had 14 top-tens (82.4%)
  • He's finished in the top four 11 times (64.7%).

I think y'all are vastly under-estimating how good Brooks has played, even when injured…

P.S. I included 2015 and 2016 just to show how he's been ramping up, but didn't include those in my counts above. 3/7 top-ten finishes there, with 2/7 top-five.

• Informative 1

@pganapathy I’ve been blunt.  I don’t believe he is feared.

@iacas We’re talking about elite professional athletes.  Pro athletes generally have a “bring it on” mentality, not an “I fear this guy” mentality.  It’s rare pro athletes (especially elite) fear each other.  Sure, the bottom barrel guys or rookies can get intimidated.

Rahm T50, Scheffler T2, Spieth T29, McIlroy T7, Finau T72, etc… none of that was because they feared BK in the PGA Championship.

I’m not rejecting how good BK is.  But I don’t believe he’s feared.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Let us be blunt.  Post Tiger there have only been two athletes that have been feared at a similar level.  One was Rory when he won 4 majors in a span of three or four years and the other was Brooks when he won 4 majors in 2 or 3 years.  In fact, if Brooks hadn't gotten injured, there is no reason he couldn't have had many more majors.  In fact, given he came second at the Masters and now won the PGA, I would say everybody fears him.  His body remaining healthy, there is no reason he can't win another couple of majors very soon.  I would have to say he is the favourite for both the remaining majors this year

The  PGA might  have a  bit  of a  problem if Koepka or another LIV player wins the  US Open.  Dustin Johnson is due to play well, One  guy on the golf channel was saying he  didnt think Koepka should  be  on the Ryder cup. The  man who finished 1st and 2nd  in the  2 majors so far  not  on the team?

Same dumb schtick since joining.