IGNORED

taylormade tp red/black

Note: This thread is 5138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All four dozen I bought from golfsmith are the "hot" ones. I contented all along they were 10 yards longer, and have premium spin and feel.

If you want to be mean to someone fine.......

THIS has to be the dumbest quote, how on earth are you certain that the 4 dozen you bought were the 'hot ones' Taylormade don't even know which ones the hot ones are, do you know something that they dont? I seriously doubt it!

Driver - 905r 9.5* UST Proforce V2 Stiff
3 Wood - 906f2 15* UST Proforce V2 Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 19* Aldila NV Stiff
Irons - MP67 3, 5-PW DG TT S300, 1/2 inch longer 2* Upright
Gap Wedge - SV 52* 10* Bounce DG TT S400Sand Wedge - Vokey Spin Milled 56* 10* Bounce DG TT Wedge FlexLob Wedge - ...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odds are the Reds anyone got WERE conforming. They had a factory error that cause a FEW to be non-conforming. Because they couldn't identify the few, they declared them all non-conforming (one bad apple spoils the whole batch rule.)

http://thesandtrap.com/balls/taylorm...ck_ball_review

The review on this site raved about them, and it was the BLACK that was the longest ball, not the Red.

Both the Black and Red ones are at WalMart for $27 a dozen (I saw them two for $55 at Golfsmith.) The Reds have the sticker indicating they are the new conforming ones (the balls also have an extra dot.) If they keep them at that price range, might be (in fact probably are) the best ball per dollar available.

I've always contended that for a ball to knock off the Pro-V1 it had to be either signficantly better (not likely, as Titleist has the skills to produce as good a ball as can be made) or significantly cheaper. At $27 a dozen the TM would fit the second criteria. It will be interesting to see if TM stays with this pricing.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I got a dozen of the tp reds with the conforming white "tournament edition" sticker for 27.50 at walmart last week. I liked them so much I got a dozen of the tp blacks to try out yesterday. Can't beat that price.

In my Ogio Carry Bag,

Driver Titleist 905S 9.5*
3 Wood Titleist 906F2 15*
Hybrid Nickent 3DX DC 17* Irons Titleist 704.cb 3,5-PW Wedges Adams Tom Watson PVD 52*, 56*, 60*Putter Cleveland Classic 1Ball Nike One Tour, Callaway Tour i

whats the main difference between the blacks and the reds? the blacks go farther? the reds spin more?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

whats the main difference between the blacks and the reds? the blacks go farther? the reds spin more?

As best I understand:

Red ~ Pro-V1 Black ~ Pro-V1x Reds spin more, lower initial ball flight, curve more. Blacks spin less, higher initial ball flight, go straighter. There seemed to be some disagreement in the review about which ball went further. Seemed to depend on the player.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

You really can't compare these directly to the Pro V1's because they're not the same.

Red - Spins less, lower ball flight, softer feel
Black - opposite from above

As you can see, you Red is not like the Pro V1 nor the V1x

RZR Hawk 9.5

Diablo Tour 3W

RZR X Hybrid 21
09 X-Forged 4-P
X-Forged 52/56/60
Byron Morgan 007

I agree with butthu, you really can't compare them to a pro v1
TM do not make any claims that one ball is longer than the other. What they do make clear is the black launches higher than the red. Also, on the black box it says 'higher full shot and greenside spin', the red box says 'controllable full shot and greenside spin'. This is backed up on the back of the box with Retief Goosen's quote: 'I use TP black for more spin on firm greens and TP red for soft greens'
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

This could quite possible be the dumbest comment I've seen on this website.

What are you talking about? I play in tons of junior tournaments and I know they don't give a crap about equipment, EVER. SO unless its like the U.S. open qualifying i don't think anyone is going to be going after your TP red to make sure it's not in the hot batch. Calm down there, I never said anything insulting. Some people are so uptight on these boards.

• 2 weeks later...
This could quite possible be the dumbest comment I've seen on this website.

Most tournaments don't employ the rule that your ball must be on the conforming list, unless it is a Tour event, a USGA event or a major local Amateur tournament. In fact, there are many tournaments that don't even employ the "One Ball" rule, meaning theoretically you could use the TP Red off the tee on #1 and switch to the TP Black on #2 without penalty.

So for those tournaments you're playing in, ask if their rules require a ball off the conforming list, and if not, then you are not cheating. And if you are playing any casual or practice rounds, you are not cheating there either.
What are you talking about? I play in tons of junior tournaments and I know they don't give a crap about equipment, EVER. SO unless its like the U.S. open qualifying i don't think anyone is going to be going after your TP red to make sure it's not in the hot batch. Calm down there, I never said anything insulting. Some people are so uptight on these boards.

Partly true, as I just said, MOST tournaments don't require a ball to be on the conforming ball list, but if you know you're playing a ball that isn't on the list, you should always ask to make sure. Personally, I'd rather play it safe and just make sure you're playing the "Tournament Edition" so you don't need to worry about.

Especially because, in my experience, they do not play any different than the non-conforming ones. There's realistically not any way to "know" that you got a batch of the hot golf balls. You can suspect, but what if you were just really catching the ball on the screws that day/those days? What if for your launch characteristics, the TP Red is just a longer ball than the Pro V1x? Without hitting those balls with a robot, there's no way to know for sure that you got 4 dozen "hot" balls.
Well if your Reds are stamped TP/Red.LDP then they aren't legal ;)

Apparently not true! Although the website indicates that
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

Now the decision is to buy a pack of Wilson Tx4 or TP Black, hmmm.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

I took the plunge and bought a pack of TP Black, I will report back on my findings.

MX500 9.5* S
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*

I took the plunge and bought a pack of TP Black, I will report back on my findings.

I did the same and will do the same.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just went through about 6 of the TP Reds...really like them. They definitely spin less than a Pro-V1 (about like a Pro-V1x), but seem to be a little longer off the tee and a little more durable for wedge shots. I felt that they had pretty good feel off the putter as well. For about $17-$18 less than a box of Pro-V1s, I'll take that and run.
My Bag:
Driver: FT-i (i-Mix version) - 10* w/ UST Proforce V2 (stiff)
5-Wood: RPM Redline
Hybrid: Baffler 23*
Irons: R7 Draw 5-PWGap Wedge: 52* Sand Wedge: 56* CG10Lob Wedge: 60.04 VokeyPutter: White Hot Rossie putterBall: TP Red

Just went through about 6 of the TP Reds...really like them. They definitely spin

Yea it was a tough decision for me between the two, since I have been using a 2005 Pro V1x for that past couple years and my box has finally run out (05 pro v1x is the best ball I have used). I decided that I like a firmer feel ball, and needed a higher launch since I tend to launch low.

MX500 9.5* S
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*

TP Blacks are good balls. longer than the prov1x and better feel.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

Back from the range, had a short game practice session.

Tried a few shots around the green. It is definately a firm feel ball which I kinda like, feels a bit like a v1x around the green. I could really get some spin going if I hit a low pinched 15 yard wedge shot, hit the green and checked up. Off the putter I prefer the v1x, the TP Black has a loud click. I like the feel off the putter, but the v1x is a slight bit better in that department. We will see how this one performs off driver and full shots.

MX500 9.5* S
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*

I ordered a 3 and 4 hybrid for my dad for fathers day, and because i've spent over 2000$ at golftown this year on my golftown visa, they gave me 3 boxes of tp's (reward points), I took two boxes of reds and one box of blacks. I cant play again till the end of july (3rd degree burns on left leg and foot), so I have no opinion yet, but I gave a box of the reds to my dad with his gift and he said they are the best ball he ever played. He tried to con me out of the two other boxes, but no dice! haha

Cant wait to try them for myself.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Had a short game session yesterday trying a multitude of difficult shots with my 60* wedge. Was hitting 15 yard flop shots into an extremely tight green with only 3 yards to land in the front, 1 yard to land behind the hole, sloped downhill.

I was playing 3 TP Blacks, 1 Pro V1 392, 1 Nike One Platnium, and 1 Pro V1 2007

The tp black were noticably less spinny than the One and the Pro V. I could hit shots with those balls that the TP Black could simply not match. However, I found that the TP Black actually seemed to release highest off the club, whereas the Pro V1 spun like hell with a slightly lower path. So while I could throw the other balls right onto the green and have a violent check that would keep it on the green, the TP black had a consistant 2 yards of release. I actually was able to get it closer with the TP Black because I didnt expect the violent spin to keep it on the green, just a nice check up on the first bounce and a roll out.

Ill try to categorize these balls performance on the green:
Pro V1 = Hop, Check, Dribble
Nike One = Skip, Hit the brakes, Slow row
TP Black = Skip, check, roll

MX500 9.5* S
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*

Note: This thread is 5138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!