IGNORED

taylormade tp red/black

Note: This thread is 5132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interesting. I haven't heard that about the new balls nor have I heard that the TP Black/Red will be discontinued. That'd be a bummer, but I'm interested in hearing more of the new Penta TP.

Anybody seen anywhere that has the inside scoop on them yet?
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything that I have read says that Penta will be released to the public December 1st. I couldn't really find anything that said they would discontinue the Red/Black once this ball comes out. I kind of figured that they would keep it around but at a lower price point. I sure hope so. If they can keep that ball below the $30.00 price range I'll play it over anything else.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

Everything that I have read says that Penta will be released to the public December 1st. I couldn't really find anything that said they would discontinue the Red/Black once this ball comes out. I kind of figured that they would keep it around but at a lower price point. I sure hope so. If they can keep that ball below the $30.00 price range I'll play it over anything else.

If their tour staff are playing it I really doubt it's going to be a mid-priced ball. I'd agree with the possibility suggested of the current top line being dropped and then these replacing them at the ~$45 price point.

In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

Are the black (or red) ok for mid swing speeds (typically 87-92 mph), or are they both designed for higher swing speeds?

In my X-Series Bag:

Driver G10 10.5*
Woods V-Steel 3W, 5W
Hybrids Pinemeadow ZR1 19* 3HIrons MX-19 4-GWWedge MP-R Black Nickel 54/10Putter Rossa Sebring AGSI+

• Administrator
There's (kind of) really no such thing as "designed for higher swing speeds."

That said, TM likes to talk about their low-compression core working for even slower swingers, so, give 'em a try.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's (kind of) really no such thing as "designed for higher swing speeds."

So do higher compression cores typically go farther for slower swingers, and lower compression cores typically go farther for faster swingers, or vice versa?

In my X-Series Bag:

Driver G10 10.5*
Woods V-Steel 3W, 5W
Hybrids Pinemeadow ZR1 19* 3HIrons MX-19 4-GWWedge MP-R Black Nickel 54/10Putter Rossa Sebring AGSI+

• Administrator
So do higher compression cores typically go farther for slower swingers, and lower compression cores typically go farther for faster swingers, or vice versa?

Firmer balls always have more ball speed. That's about the only thing you can say definitively.

If you can achieve good launch conditions with a firm ball, it'll go farther. If you can't, sometimes a softer ball will go further (increased backspin).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is a 5 piece ball even necessary lol?

if you consider the new rules with the wedges and iron grooves the they should help out some

DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

The Penta TP is coming out this fall but I believe that the TP Red/Black will be still sold. You can take the example of the Pro V1. The 2009 came out but shops are still selling the 07 version.

http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2009...-pga-tour.html

The new Penta ball has been in R&D; for three years and looks serious. 5 layer is interesting. I cant wait to talk to my TM rep about these, TM is making serious strides with their balls and for a ball that packs such good distance like the current TP's, but remains soft with spin, this Penta ball could be unreal.

People who already play softer, spinnier balls will obviously not be as affected by the new groove rule like those that play firmer distance balls with little to no spin

• 7 months later...
Today was the first time I used a tp black since I just switched to the penta(great ball) and wanted to check out the tp's to see how they played. I don't know if the ball just doesn't work with my swing or what was going on but I was losing 10 to 15 yards a shot with the tp black. I hit a penta, pro v1, tp red, pro v1x, and tp black with the driver and all of them were with in 5 yards but the tp black was 10 yards back. Tried with a 7i same exact result. I was jut curious if anyone else has had this problem with the tp black.

I've always played pro v1 until this year when I got a free sleeve of penta's.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

well TP black is for people with fast swing speeds and red's for slow swing speeds. (Might be the other way round)
But I doubt you swing the club slow so I don't know why.

It's also a 3 piece golf ball while the others are 4 piece (Penta is 5 piece)

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I think the Black launches the ball higher and adds spin and that is probably why you are losing distance.
Driver- SuperTri 9.5*
Wood- 906 F2 13*
Hybrids- Rescue TP 17*
Irons(4-PW)- R9 TP w/ KBS Tour
Wedge-ZTP 52* w/ KBS Tour Wedge-58* VokeyPutter- Studio Select New Port 2 Mid-SlantBall-TP Black/Red

I just bought the TP Red...I haven't used them yet though. I was under the impression that the Red had less spin than the Black...but it looks like I am wrong. If I hit the ball far, but with limited control (lots of hooks and occasional slices) would I be better off with the Black? I'm just getting into golf more so I will be asking a lot of questions here. Thanks for your help.

Irons: MP 57 with Project X Rifle 6.0 shafts
Driver: Big Bertha 460 (9 degree loft) with UST ProForce 66g V2X Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.14, Spin Milled Black Nickel 60.07, Spin Milled Black Nickel 52.08 (next purchase)
Putter: White Hot XG #6
Ball: TP Red

well TP black is for people with fast swing speeds and red's for slow swing speeds. (Might be the other way round)

It's not really for either, but if anything it would be the other way around. Since the Black launches higher and spins more, theoretically it would be more advantageous to someone with a slower swing speed. That said, they are both premium golf balls played by tour players... neither are necessarily designed for "slow" swing speeds.

I just bought the TP Red...I haven't used them yet though. I was under the impression that the Red had less spin than the Black...but it looks like I am wrong. If I hit the ball far, but with limited control (lots of hooks and occasional slices) would I be better off with the Black? I'm just getting into golf more so I will be asking a lot of questions here. Thanks for your help.

No, you are right. TP Red has less spin. Theoretically, the Red would be better for reducing side-spin.

Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

No, you are right. TP Red has less spin. Theoretically, the Red would be better for reducing side-spin.

OK...thanks for clarifying. The Red is the right one for me then.

Irons: MP 57 with Project X Rifle 6.0 shafts
Driver: Big Bertha 460 (9 degree loft) with UST ProForce 66g V2X Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.14, Spin Milled Black Nickel 60.07, Spin Milled Black Nickel 52.08 (next purchase)
Putter: White Hot XG #6
Ball: TP Red

Note: This thread is 5132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!