IGNORED

Mulligans

iacas
Note: This thread is 5789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How often do you take a mulligan?

• Every round
    • Only in practice rounds
    • If I hit a real stinker!
    • Never

The only time I would hit a Mulligan would be in practice. Even then I always play my first ball. I guess its more of a practice shot then a mulligan..

Yeah...what Pepe said...If I'm practicing and don't hit a shot the way I pictured it, I'll give it another go or two, but still play my original ball.

I cringe every time I play with a group that practices mulligans as the rule rather than the exception--and I hate it when they try and get me to take one after a bad shot. -LBB

Bag: Bagboy NXO Revolver
Driver: Dymo STR8-FIT Tour 9.5
3w: Nike T405w: Nike T40Irons: Mizuno MP-33 3-PWSW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 56/10LW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 60/06Ball: Nike TA2/SPN

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never in a round where I'm keeping score. Sometimes I'll play 9 holes or so and hit multiple shots from spots, or even play a couple balls in if I can just for the practice.

Fore!

On the first tee only.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I stopped playing Mulligans about 12 years ago. I figured I wouldn't get much better if I pretended to play golf. My pet peeve about Mulligans is when people take them, don't count the stroke and then say they shot x amount of strokes less than they actually did. Let me add that when I am playing by myself and the course is S-L-O-W....I will play more than one ball, but I do play the first ball I hit off the tee as is if I were in a match and I do count the score.

Never. I'm a nut about stats, even if they're bad ones.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

Too bad your number 1 Stat: (The Handicap) is wrong

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Too bad your number 1 Stat: (The Handicap) is wrong

You've never seen me play

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

Never take Mulligans,if a tee shot is that bad its 3 off the tee for me.

Did play in an interesting competition last year with a society from a company where quite a few were non golfers. To keep up the pace of play they played what they called Mulligan Golf .The idea was that whatever your handicap was the ammount of mulligans you were allowed.Certainly did the trick as we flew round at a right rapid pace untill the last couple of holes when you either run out of free shots or were trying(with the 15 shots forgot about) to sink that last 30 ft putt.Good fun though and at least everyone got in the bar a roughly the same time which of course was all part of the plan.

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

I'll take one every 18 unless the layout of the course forces me to tee up another shot....But I HATE and I mean HATE when people think it's cool to tee one up again on every hole....and then they claim they're better than a 10 handicap....
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I picked "If I hit a real stinker!!" but that's actually only if I'm playing alone and am out for practice....then I'm usually going to hit a couple of shots all the way up the fairway (providing there is noone behind me).

If I'm playing ith others (casual or competative), I'm either playing what I've given myself or hitting 3 off the tee.

You've never seen me play

643 isnt real

36 is more like it
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Never. You get one chance to hit a shot, period.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Sometimes

Maybe I don't know the technical definition, but I consider that a practice shot, not a mulligan. Both are illegal, but mulligans are where you are lying to yourself about your score. Practice shots are just out of place; improper in a tournament for obvious reasons (the practice of it, if nothing else). And also probably out of place in handicap rounds, but honestly, don't you think the people you play against would rather see your handicap go *down* rather than up? ;)

* I have bad eye sight, so when I am playing by myself and can't see the ball. Most of these times I'll play a provisional.

That's totally normal and legal, isn't it? If you suspect the ball is out of bounds (or if you just don't know) you hit a provisional, right? (You can even hit water balls off the tee legally, right? If you prefer the tee box to the drop area.)

• 5 weeks later...

I never play a Mulligan. I only call it a Mulligan if its done in a scoring round, and I always play straight up when I'm playing for score. If I'm playing a practice round, then it's a practice round. I may hit 2 or 3 shots from some locations, but none of them are Mulligans as I interpret the term, because there is no intent to keep score. A mulligan only has meaning when you are keeping score, and if you take a Mullie in that situation, then your score is meaningless anyway.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to give myslef one per nine, but I found that once I started scoring in the 90's I would end up using mine less and less. Now I don't even consider them. If I stink up a hole I want to have to earn the strokes back.

Last time I went out was my best 9 holes ever, and it started out with lousy tee shot, ended up with a triple on a par3. After that I had 5 pars and 3 bogeys. If I had taken a mulligan on the first tee the new PB would have felt tainted.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Mulligan = gay golf

Golfunit

In the Bag:

Driver: FT-5 10° Speeder 652 Stiff4-Wood: Taylor Made V-Steel Regular 14.5ºHybrids: Taylor Made Mid 19º and 22ºIrons 4-W MP-60 DG S300Wedges: MP-T 51°06 and 56°10Putter: Red-X

After finishing 18, then playing a few more holes, then I'll hit a number of drives to work on something but no mulligans during the round to be posted, can't do it.

Sometimes when playing with a group of non-posting players who are just out for fun and insist that everyone 'hit another' when the drive goes OB, etc. then I'll hit another drive but in scoring take a penalty stoke, that way the guys think they're being generous which is what they are after, but my score is still accurate.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I rarely play for score and take mulligans often for practice since I'm horrendous. When I play for score I usually do 1 mulligan per side.

« Keith »

Note: This thread is 5789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!