IGNORED

Where should the calluses on your hands be?

DavidFehertysBike
Note: This thread is 1154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you're married or have a steady girlfriend, you shouldn't be getting calluses on your hands.

Oh wait. You're talking about golf. In that case, I don't know. But I stopped wearing a golf glove recently (one dark tan hand, one bright white hand) and found that I didn't need the glove anymore. I just got the Winn Xi7(?) grips and they're so soft and "grippy" that I seem to have better feel without the glove. I needed the glove with my old fake tour wrap golf pride whatevers. I'm starting to think the Xi7s are a little too soft, though. I might experiment with one of their firmer grips. I don't think I like the cords though.

I'm playing about 7 rounds a week now (multiple rounds on multiple days) and without the glove, I noticed I'm starting to get calluses at the junction of my fingers (middle ring and pinky) on both hands and the outer edge of my left thumb. Harder on left hand (I'm right handed). I use a 10-finger grip (no overlap).

• 2 years later...

If you are holding the club correctly and whipping the club through with your right hand, you will start to form calluses on your left hand at the base of your pinkie, ring and middle finger. These areas are where your left hand comes in contact with the club.

On your right hand, you may start forming a callus on the outside of your ring finger where your hands interlock or overlap in your grip.

If you start to get calluses in other places or blisters on your hand, that means you are incorrectly holding the club or gripping it too tight. When you grip the club properly and swing correctly you should be able to play everyday without gloves and never get a blister.

I've just started playing regularly again after a 10 year break, and have been hitting the range a lot lately. I started with loaner clubs and almost immediately got a massive blister on my middle right finger between the base and the first joint. I spoke to the Pro and he said get some clubs fitted. Since doing that (I have long fingers and needed a thicker grip) they are more in line with what you're all experiencing (base of left hand middle thru pinky).

I have calluses here:

Calluses

I have soft girly I.T. hands and the pads on my hands are quite 'fleshy' so the calluses come from the flesh bunching up behind the knuckle, not from holding the club too hard/incorrectly:

Fleshy Grip

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by immts007

my most noticeable callous that has developed from golf specifically is on the outside of my left index finger between the first two knuckles:

seems unusual based on the responses so far. hmmm. wonder what that means.

Hard to tell where mine are from golf or lifting or being a man.  I know one that is for sure golf.  Just like this guy.. except on my left hand.  I also have calouses on all my fingers and hands

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

• 3 years later...

This will be affected to some extent by how you grip your club, length of fingers, left (weak) or right (strong) orientation of grip, etc.  The diagram above assume you hold your club placed laterally across the pads below the fingers.  Because I grip more into the fingers and gain stability from the pads before the fingers of the left hand, mine are at the top of the first phelanges (from the palm) for ring and third finger, and at the top of the second phelange (from the palm) for the pinky.  I also have a bit of a callous and tend to wear my gloves out on the middle right pad of my left palm.  I used to have an interlocking right hand grip, and was irritating the joint on the third phelange of my pointing finger of the left hand.  Went to a right little finger overlay grip and problem solved there, although I am having a problem where the right side of the first finger from pinky of my right hand got a bit of a blister near the nail from rubbing against the glove hand.  I don't grip particularly hard, although I suspect I increase grip pressure shortly before impact.

According to Harvey Penick's Little Red Book we should not have callouses on our hands from golf. Means we are gripping the club too hard. However, I have a small on at the base of one of my fingers, from golf.

Then I reckon Moe Norman should have had severe carpet tunnel.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

I only have a very small callus on my left trigger finger. And I'm a right handed golfer.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

According to Ben Hogan, callouses are normal. In his book, "Five Lessons," he has a diagram showing exactly where callouses should be located. On the left hand, they should be located as follows:

One each, on the hand, below the middle, ring and pinky finger.

One on the bottom of the middle finger.

One on the inside middle of the ring finger.

Two on the pinky. One on the top inside and the other directly in the middle.

Finally, one on the right side of the palm.

Wow, I have a 90% match to Ben's description above.  What did I win?

I was curious about my callouses and found comfort in that it is normal, at least according to Ben.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I don't have any to speak of either but I use a glove and overlap grip.

I use gloves and get callouses.   You just haven't practiced and played enough. :whistle:

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I use gloves and get callouses.   You just haven't practiced and played enough.

I dunno about that, I play every other day until winter rolls around.  I just have a flawless grip. B-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

I use gloves and get callouses.   You just haven't practiced and played enough.

I dunno about that, I play every other day until winter rolls around.  I just have a flawless grip.

+1

I have one small callus, and that is at the base of my left ring finger where the skin gets pinched between the grip and my wedding ring.  I don't wear a glove, and I have no other calluses.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Had calluses all over my hands from baseball and weight lifting and they have just stuck since I have considered to lift. Couldn't tell you what calluses I have from golf but I just have them on both my hands.

• 4 weeks later...

Yey, a friend in pain! I've got a callous there on my right index finger and the same one on my left index finger. From what I gather from the other comments, it seems we are gripping too much with the index and thumb fingers, and we should try to include the middle, ring fingers and even the pinky, with the index fingers doing less of the gripping work. That way we can get callouses where they're supposed to be, and hopefully that will make some sort of difference in our golf!

I have none on my left hand, because I wear a grip, but my right has three- inside thumb at the knuckle, base of pointer right at the crease where it meets the hand, and inside of the ring finger, between the knuckles.

I just checked, and I don't have any calluses on my hands, and I play, and practice quite bit. I guess because I wear two gloves is probably a factor, but I also don't let the club slip much if at all during my swing.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have calluses here:

I have soft girly I.T. hands and the pads on my hands are quite 'fleshy' so the calluses come from the flesh bunching up behind the knuckle, not from holding the club too hard/incorrectly:

I have these exact ones.

Note: This thread is 1154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!