IGNORED

17th as First Playoff Hole: Joke or Just Fine?

iacas
Note: This thread is 5800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is playing the 17th at Sawgrass first in a sudden-death playoff a joke or just fine?

• Joke
    • Just Fine

My problem is that 17 leaves a player with no options. Hit and hope. With the wind blowing the way it was you have to be a little lucky.

I disagree with this statement. These guys are good, as we're so frequently told by the PGA Tour. They can shape their shots as they need, and a failure to execute the proper shot is that player's weight to bear.

Let's also remember golf is played outside, not at the Metrodome. Weather is part of the game, just like it always has been, major or not, whether the architect is Pete Dye or Old Tom himself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with this statement. These guys are good, as we're so frequently told by the PGA Tour. They can shape their shots as they need, and a failure to execute the proper shot is that player's weight to bear.

Well, they're not really going to shape a pitching wedge so really the only other shot is a knock down and then you run the risk of it taking a hop over the green into the water. I do understand what you are saying but it would be my preference for the whole tournament not to be decided on a shot like that. Now if Goydos just missed the green short because of the wind then fine, he'd have to work his ass off to get up and down and Garcia may not be able to cozy up his 4 footer. Or if there is water in front but room over the green he perhaps could have tried knocking down a 9 or 8 iron (or whatever) and if it does take a hard bounce over the green then fine, he's dry and again has to work his ass off for par and Garcia can't lag is short putt. I'm certainly not saying Garcia didn't deserve it just that IMO it was a bad call to start on 17.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Bigtime JOKE imo. No way that should have been the 1st playoff hole.

I would have gone to 18, then back to 16 (and in from there) if a push on 18.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Well, they're not really going to shape a pitching wedge so really the only other shot is a knock down and then you run the risk of it taking a hop over the green into the water. I do understand what you are saying but it would be my preference for the whole tournament not to be decided on a shot like that. Now if Goydos just missed the green short because of the wind then fine, he'd have to work his ass off to get up and down and Garcia may not be able to cozy up his 4 footer. Or if there is water in front but room over the green he perhaps could have tried knocking down a 9 or 8 iron (or whatever) and if it does take a hard bounce over the green then fine, he's dry and again has to work his ass off for par and Garcia can't lag is short putt. I'm certainly not saying Garcia didn't deserve it just that IMO it was a bad call to start on 17.

Fair enough. I definitely respect your opinion on the subject, and it's nice that you backed it up with some reasons. I still disagree a little, but your reasoning is solid nonetheless.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have no problems at all. In fact I was hoping if there was a playoff that it would be at the 17th. It was exciting and I felt bad for Goydos but it is what it is.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

It was a joke to have 17 be the first playoff hole in sudden death because there is too much luck involved on that hole. The Players should go to a 3 hole playoff (16, 17, 18) to decide. That would be entertaining and still be able to showcase 17.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

Fair enough. I definitely respect your opinion on the subject, and it's nice that you backed it up with some reasons. I still disagree a little, but your reasoning is solid nonetheless.

Sounds good. Nothing at all wrong with disagreeing. Your point makes sense too. It's nice and refreshing to be able to debate a topic in a respectful manner. Thanks for the discussion!

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

The 17th is not a tough hole, it's a stupid gimmick hole and the pro's hate it for the very reason that Goydos' shot ended in the water. At least at the Masters par 3 at amen corner (13?) there is the threat of a gust of wind but the option of going long and then getting up and down. And it is possible to read the wind by watching the trees, at the 17th it's just blind stupid luck, no way to read the wind, that's one reason why so many pro's go in the water. It's a made for TV hole lacking only the clowns mouth. Not at all fair to someone who played well enough to by your champion by getting in a playoff. It's disrespectful to what they have accomplished over 72 holes. Start on 18 and see who has the skill to make par.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I voted fair.
They all knew that hole was there before they even entered the tournament, yet they chose to play anyway. If they hate it that much, take a rest week and move on to something they like better.

And Goydos didn't play well enough to be the winner. He hit the first shot of the playoff fat, and left it a couple feet short of the green. Whether it was an island or a creek running in the front, he still lost. I feel for him, but he was the first one to make a mistake.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

I think playing the 17th was a joke. This thing wants to be a major and yet they push a gimmicky hole out there as the first playoff hole? Joke.

I agree.

While the hole certainly sets the stage for tons of television drama....I just don't like it. Hitting and holding that green comes down too much to blind luck, in my opionion, if the wind is gusting.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

While I agree that this hole was just fine for a playoff hole. Goyods didn't hit it fat, it just balooned on him and caught a gust. Whhich is why it came up short.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

A joke.

I think you are off the mark here. First off, luck is a factor in golf as it is in any sport. You cannot eliminate luck. Secondly, I think the tournament did it's job of identifying the best player. Keep in mind that these guys played 72 holes before the playoff. You make it sound like to two guys drew names out of a hat to even get there. I don't think it's ever been that windy at the Players, so playing that hole under those conditions probably didn't occur to the directors before they decided that 17 would be the hole. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been such a big deal without the wind.

There is a lot of water at the Players, and on that Sunday, there were a lot of wind gusts too. It could have happened to either player on a number of holes, but it happened to Goydos on the 17th. Doo doo happens and you have to live with it. By the way, nobody seems to mention the fact that Sergio hit an incredible shot that just might have won it for him anyways should his putt have actually meant something.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

No playoff should ever hinge on blind luck. I know they say you have to get lucky a few times to win a tournament, but it's certainly a bigger factor at 17 than elsewhere.

I agree completely...if they want this to be considered a 5th major, then spice it up and have a 3 hole playoff. They are trying to so hard to make this tourney more than it is, then do something different. the telecast had a deal on trying to name the 3 holes something..."running the gauntlet". Then have them play the guantlet for the playoff. Too bad they spend so much time trying to pimp out this tourney that they miss easy ways to actually let tradition dictate what they are trying to do.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

I think it's just fine because it's probably one of, if not, the hardest hole in all of golf. It'd be great for a playoff in my opinion.

um...Road Hole? 16th at Cypress? 12th at Augusta?

There are many harder holes that could be named. it's actually a somewhat easy hole on a normal basis.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

I was fine with it. The 17th is the signature hole, one of the most recognizable golf holes in the world, why wouldn't the organizers want to make it a pivotal or deciding factor in the playoff? Say both guys par it and the playoff is won on another hole -- it's a non issue. Goydos couldn't negotiate it, Garcia did, match over. You still got to hit golf shots, what difference does it make which hole it is?

I really wasn't sure where I came down on this one until reading some of the posts. Professional golf is sports entertainment, not the Olympics. Since when has golf ever been fair? Given these are the best players and had played the hole in practice, every day, once earlier that day they should have had a good read on the conditions and if really the best player that day pick a shot that was safe or go for birdie. I'll bet Goyodos tried to hit a birdie shot, not a shot guaranteeing par. Considering all these factors a hole requiring a great shot, high risk, under lots of pressure, lots of drama, the best golfer did win. Maybe we need more gimmicks if this was a gimmick it is a positive one because it has everyone talking. Besides pick another hole where Goyodos would not be at a disadvantage, straight hitter short hole, he was the better putter, it was probably his best chance to win, maybe he knew that and cut it to fine?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I think its a great playoff hole,they play for four days and then this hole may decide all,it may eliminate dragging out the game further,all it counts for is a good shot which should'nt be to hard for a pro which will be his fifth time playing the hole.Cuts through the bullshit.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Note: This thread is 5800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!