IGNORED

Hogan and Sorenstam

iacas
Note: This thread is 5866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who has had the better career to date: Annika or Hogan?

• Ben Hogan (64 wins, 9 majors)
    • Annika Sorenstam (64 wins, 9 majors)
    • It's a dead heat.

You have to realize that there were few "touring pros" back then...most of the tournaments played had a lot of local guys because of the cost of travel

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

If you know anything about Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson, or most of their peers from that era. then you would have to realize how flat out IDIOTIC that post is.

You know the reason why Private Clubs got started...it was to keep the poor out..I know because i work at Oakmont--i hear the stories all the time--golf was exclusive back in Hogans day--in fact the winner one of the opens in the 1900-1920 competed against 5 men

Uhm, let me diagram this for you:

question for iacas and r7 425... do you guys know eachother? I ask because iacas is pretty hard on you, and I have seen a similar response on another thread. I just thought that you guys must either...

a)know eachother or b) have had a pissing match on this DB in the past
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I dont know the man but respect his opinion....he has a great knowledge on the game...even though we disagree on things i like what he has to say

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

• Administrator
question for iacas and r7 425... do you guys know eachother? I ask because iacas is pretty hard on you, and I have seen a similar response on another thread. I just thought that you guys must either...

I don't know the guy - I'm just tired of his drivel. Which is a shame since he's a PA boy like myself.

I've actually been considering banning him. He's not contributed anything to the forum since he got here. He just makes things up repeatedly. That's why I'm hard on him. I have no respect for his opinions or "facts."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ben Hogan, when he travelled to the UK and won the British Open, used his winnings and some of his own private money to pay for the boat trip over the Atlantic- in those days, which was not that long ago, air travel was an exclusive hobby..so i have to reject the idea that he was rich. So he really loved the game- no sure many of the pros would do the same today! lol.

In those day the practice facilities were almost non existent- Hogan used to hit balls and his caddy would catch them in a baseball glove..how awesome and funny is that?

In those days, sport was definitely not about the cash, it was about the love of the game, and thats why his era was special.

Many of the American country clubs that exist today were constructed off the fruits of industrialism and slavery..but thats not necessarily something to apologise for..we can't keep saying sorry....

I'm going for Hogan. In addition to the car crash injuries mentioned - the crash nearly killed him and kept him out for 11 months - he was away from competitive golf for 3-4 years while he served in the US Air Force during WWII. His main competitors were Byron Nelson and Sam Snead - neither of them slouches! - and Henry Cotton, on occasion (like the Ryder Cup). It's an outstanding record he has.
Anneka has helped the women's game immensely. She's a great player and is fit to stand among all of the greats, from Whitworth to Lopez and not forgetting the Babe. And I firmly believe she has inspired a new generation of women to take up the game, especially in Scandinavia - just look how many Scandinavians there are now, and take a quick glance at those coming through.
Hogan had a better swing, in the end - I keep saying to my wife, when we watch Anneka, 'copy her rhythm but, whatever you do, don't lift your head like she does!
And one more thing. He said, when he came over to win the British Open, 'I'll never be counted among the greats if I don't win this thing'. Not only did he revive interest in the Open as such, it was one in the eye for the US PGA, who'd actually scheduled the PGA Championship against the British Open, and reminded them of the priorities. If he'd been able to play all four Majors in 1953, I wouldn;t bet against him winning them all - even though he hated matchplay.
Anyway, it's just a pleasant after-round chat, innit?

• 2 weeks later...
Many of the American country clubs that exist today were constructed off the fruits of industrialism and slavery..

Not just restricted to the US, Basher...

This is obviously a rhetorical question.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

This is obviously a rhetorical question.

Ah, yes. The ticker-tape parade after he'd won the British Open (which he played in preference to the US PGA).

They knew about quality back then...

Not just restricted to the US, Basher...

good point, the vardon family was made homeless to build a golf course, quite ironic that he went on to become an immortal of the game

and to, while we don't have the per se' slavery thing in the modern western world, i think folks being on a tread mill every day to eat and sleep with a roof is slavery equivalent

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Note: This thread is 5866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!