Sign in to follow this  
hoofreak7

Favorite courses played in virginia

Note: This thread is 4515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

15 posts / 2403 viewsLast Reply

Private
1)kinloch
2)hermitage cc(both)
3)ccv(all 3)
Public
1)Royal New Kent
2)Hunting Hawk
3)Belmont(play the course that hosted va's only major for $8)
Next three
1)spring creek
2)Prmiland course at highland
3)King carter

Virginia has many excellent courses. These are my top ten favorites that I've played:

Golden Horsehoe - Gold Course
Royal New Kent
Augustine
Hunting Hawk
Cannon Ridge
Independence
Kingsmill - River Course
Golden Horseshoe -Green Course
Stonewall
Rasberry Falls

I've played Belmont . It was okay, especially the back 9, but not top ten level.

Virginia has many excellent courses. These are my top ten favorites that I've played:

I would have to agree with most of this list, I haven't played a few of them but here are my favorite 10 in no particualr order:

Kingsmill - River Course Golden Horeshoe - Gold Course Cypress Creek Royal New Kent Brickshire The Traditions at Stonehouse Nansemond River Fords Colony - Blackheath Colonial Golf Course Williamsburg National - Jamestown(haven't played the Yorktown course yet)

I have only played two courses in Virginia. Last month I got to play The Olde Farm in Bristol. Definitely the best course I have ever played.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I live near F'burg. Here are a few favs: Williamsburg Ntl (Jamestown), Mattaponi Springs, Forrest Green, Virginia Oaks, Tradition Golf Club At Kiskiack, The Homestead (old course), Nansemond River. Cannon Ridge and Augustine are good along w/the Gauntlet.

Yeah, I have to add another vote for Homestead, but the Cascades course is the one I played.

here's a few pics if anyone's interested.

i only got to play golden horseshoe on a cold march day so i haven't seen it grown in, but still had a great time.

i'll be hitting up blue ridge shadows next month which is supposed to be nice.

on my *will play* list:
royal new kent
laurel hills
stonewall
cannon ridge
westfields

on my *will play* list:

If you have the available time when you play Royal New Kent, book a round at Brickshire. They are right next to each other, and it will be a nice break to play Brickshire after your pride is damaged from playing Royal New Kent

Here is a link to the Brick...Curtis Strange Design with 4 replica holes http://www.brickshiregolfclub.com/

Royal New Kent is my current favorite. Top 10 would be as follows:
1. Royal New Kent
2. The River Course at Virginia Tech (Pete Dye got about 8 mill to redo it, very hard and very fun)
3. Independence Golf Club
4. Poplar Grove
5. Mattaponi Springs
6. Brickshire Golf Club
7. Hunting Hawk Golf Club
8. Golden Horseshoe golf course
9. Golden Horseshoe Green Course
10. London Downs (easy track but kept in nice shape most of the time)

Good Golf in Virginia, mostly in Williamsburg or Richmond area, but southwest VA has a few nice courses too (Homestead courses are nice but pricey; Wintergreen isnt too bad either)

If you have the available time when you play Royal New Kent, book a round at Brickshire. They are right next to each other, and it will be a nice break to play Brickshire after your pride is damaged from playing Royal New Kent

It's true... Royal New Kent will beat you up, but it is a great course that you will want to play again notwithsatnding the beating.

I never teed it up in Virginia, however my wife's first cousin held a rehersal dinner and after party at Kingsmill.

I was very impressed with what I saw of the course during that weekend. Wish I could have teed it up....didn't play back then.

I never teed it up in Virginia, however my wife's first cousin held a rehersal dinner and after party at Kingsmill.

All 3 courses at Kingsmill are very nice the River Course is the "Tournament Course", if I remember correctly one of the LPGA players was disqualified because she was hitting balls before her tee time on one of the adjacent courses during tournament play.

Good Golf in Virginia, mostly in Williamsburg or Richmond area, but southwest VA has a few nice courses too (Homestead courses are nice but pricey; Wintergreen isnt too bad either)

I forgot to include Hanging Rock in Roanoke, the course itself is better than average, but the scenary of this mountain course is amazing. Quite a challenge with the elevation changes

I forgot to include Hanging Rock in Roanoke, the course itself is better than average, but the scenary of this mountain course is amazing. Quite a challenge with the elevation changes

My golf group has an annual trip to Salem (Roanoke-ish) and Hanging Rock is one we play. It kicks the crap out of us.

That being said, HR is the only course on this list so far I have played. That's bad considering I live in VA.... I tend to stay in the Va Beach area. I like Virginia National and Hell's Point when they are in good shape. I play mostly at Heron Ridge though.

My parents moved out to Ashburn and since I'm in Southern Cal I don't get to stay on top of the courses in VA. I've played the following (and I'm excluding some of the lower end courses):

Virginia National
Old Hickory
Raspberry Falls
South Riding
Stonewall
Westfields
Virigina Oaks

I'm going to play Laurel Hill next time I get back but does anyone know of any other good courses old that way that are worth playing.

Note: This thread is 4515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!