IGNORED

Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run

Note: This thread is 3203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Horse and Plow...I will put that on my list for sure!! Thanks for the suggestion.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

from a pure golf perspective, i would rank the courses previously mentioned in this order

1. erin hills.
2. Pacific Dunes
3. whistling straits (straits course)
4. Bandon Dunes
5. Pebble Beach
6. Bandon Trails
7. Whistling straight (other course can't remember the name)
8. About 50 other courses in WI (including Grand Geneva and Big Fish)
58. Blackwolf Run

obviously PB has the history and Whistling Straits has some great lake michigan view. but Erin Hills offer much challenge and options for a golfer.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

Erin Hills looks very nice. Wisconsin has some nice courses

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

from a pure golf perspective, i would rank the courses previously mentioned in this order

The other course at Whistling Straits is the Irish. I'm surprised you rate BalckWolf Run so low. Are you referring to the Meadows/Valley course? IMO the River course is super

The other course at Whistling Straits is the Irish. I'm surprised you rate BalckWolf Run so low. Are you referring to the Meadows/Valley course? IMO the River course is super

here are my issues with Blackwolf Run. I agree that the valley is a better course. However, I think it is very overplayed and while in decent shape, is not in the same league as the others on the list. I know this is something Herb Kohler takes alot of pride in.

My other issue for top courses is that I prefer courses where there condition for public play every day and hosting major golf tourneys is as close as possible.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

So my best bets for up at Kohler is the River course and Straits? I only have time for two rounds, possibly a replay.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

here are my issues with Blackwolf Run. I agree that the valley is a better course. However, I think it is very overplayed and while in decent shape, is not in the same league as the others on the list. I know this is something Herb Kohler takes alot of pride in.

i'm not sure i understand this statement: the condition for public play AND hosting major golf tourneys must be similar? these are opposites: you either get a major-host setup (albeit toned down for public play) or you get the public-friendly track.

the river course is certainly not set up to be an easy day on the course for joe public--and even though the Kohler resort is just that--a resort--all the courses there would never simply be considered resort courses (like you'd find at pedestrian tracks in the carribbean, florida, etc.). i guess this is the great thing talking about golf courses--you can tell me that the river course is the 50th best course in wisconsin, and while i could fall off my bar stool laughing, it's still your opinion and i can't tell you you're flat out wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

lemay, I'd stick with the River and Straits, and next time try to find time for the irish.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

The superintendant at the course I work at came from Blackwolf Run(I think). He's doing an amazing job of turning our course into something special. I think he was the assistant superintendant there, Rob Hale is his name.

Bag: Hoofer 3
Driver: G10 9.5*
3 Wood: 975F 13.5*
Hybrid: G10 21*
Irons: i3 Blade 3-SWLob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60.04Utility Wedge: MB 60 bent to 64Putter: White Hot #5 Center Shafted/Lead Tape WeightedBall: Pro v1xLowest Round: 68 Par 72 (73/127)

I just googled it and thats the course. He is one smart man, knows how to keep a golf course in top condition.

Irons: i3 Blade 3-SWLob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60.04Utility Wedge: MB 60 bent to 64Putter: White Hot #5 Center Shafted/Lead Tape WeightedBall: Pro v1xLowest Round: 68 Par 72 (73/127)

What course do you work at?

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

Ironwood Golf Course in Normal, Illinois.

I booked the tee times today:

Friday at Noon: Blackwolf Run - River Course
Saturday at Nine: Straits

I'll take some photos for those that care to see.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

Good choices. The Irish course is very much like the Straits, except the Straits is along the water. You will love it. It is very playable, with lots of room to hit the ball around. The $350 it will cost you is worth every penny for the memories.

The River course is a nice course that is difficult if you don't hit the ball straight. It's one of those courses that you dream of playing with a pro's ability. Overpriced IMHO if, but worth it once for the experience.

The American club has awesome food. Enjoy.

UKALUM

What's in my bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5
Fairway: Comp 15* Aldila NVS
Hybrids: 19* & 22*Irons: CG2 4-PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*Putter: Studio Design Newport 1.5Ball: One BlackBag: GPS: SG3

take some long pants and a pullover windshirt just to be safe.... i played the Straits course the 11th of last month and had never seen such a cold June day in my life. tee'd off at 1:30 and it was 50*, by the time we finished it was in the low 40s. forcasted high for that day was in the low 70s. whatever the weather you'll be sure to have a great time. i'm planning on going up again over Labor Day weekend... they're running a special where you can play the Irish course for $98.
In The Bag
Tour Burner TP 9.5* Diamana Whiteboard 83 X-Stiff, tipped 2"
906 F2 13* Pro Force V2 95G Stiff
Idea Pro Gold 18* Aldila NV 105X
735.CM 3-PW Project X 6.5 Ordered Mizuno MP68 KBS Tour X Vokey Spin Milled 58* Vokey Spin Milled 64* Bettinardi BC-1 33" x77 stand bag Pro V1

Ironwood Golf Course in Normal, Illinois.

i've played there a few times... i live down in the Decatur area. usually end up in Bloomington a few times a year... usually to The Den though.

In The Bag
Tour Burner TP 9.5* Diamana Whiteboard 83 X-Stiff, tipped 2"
906 F2 13* Pro Force V2 95G Stiff
Idea Pro Gold 18* Aldila NV 105X
735.CM 3-PW Project X 6.5 Ordered Mizuno MP68 KBS Tour X Vokey Spin Milled 58* Vokey Spin Milled 64* Bettinardi BC-1 33" x77 stand bag Pro V1

i've played there a few times... i live down in the Decatur area. usually end up in Bloomington a few times a year... usually to The Den though.

Sweet, im playing at hickory point in a week or two. my uncle lives across the street from the course there. how is red tail run or whatever the new course is called? we stomped decatur in the signature cup. and one more thing, if you havent played ironwood yet this year you should get out there. the course is in alot better shape than last year and the changes to the difficulty are awesome. bringing the native grass farther towards the fairway, growing out the grass on the sides and behind the greens, greens are fast and in great shape, and the new irrigation system is finished.

and another thing, what differences do you notice with the project x shafts? been wanting to get them for a while, trying to justify spending the money.

Note: This thread is 3203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!