IGNORED

Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run

Note: This thread is 3224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sweet, im playing at hickory point in a week or two. my uncle lives across the street from the course there. how is red tail run or whatever the new course is called? we stomped decatur in the signature cup. and one more thing, if you havent played ironwood yet this year you should get out there. the course is in alot better shape than last year and the changes to the difficulty are awesome. bringing the native grass farther towards the fairway, growing out the grass on the sides and behind the greens, greens are fast and in great shape, and the new irrigation system is finished.

Hickory Point is playing really good now... except for the 15th hole being shortened from a par 5 to a par 3 because all of the flooding they had last month. Redtail Run is by far the better course. Signature Cup was pathetic for us this year... but Bloomington has some of the best golfers in the state.
In The Bag
Tour Burner TP 9.5* Diamana Whiteboard 83 X-Stiff, tipped 2"
906 F2 13* Pro Force V2 95G Stiff
Idea Pro Gold 18* Aldila NV 105X
735.CM 3-PW Project X 6.5 Ordered Mizuno MP68 KBS Tour X Vokey Spin Milled 58* Vokey Spin Milled 64* Bettinardi BC-1 33" x77 stand bag Pro V1

and another thing, what differences do you notice with the project x shafts? been wanting to get them for a while, trying to justify spending the money.

they seem a lot stiffer than the DGs, but only because they're butt stiff. that takes a little time to get used to. i have a naturally high ball flight and the PX gives me a even higher ball flight, not to the point of ballooning like the DGs, but they def. get up fast and stay there. i probably gained 1/2 a club distance wise. to me they seem a little more consistant. if you wanted to try the shaft i think the All Seasons Golf Learning Center has some demo irons w/ the PX shaft.
In The Bag
735.CM 3-PW Project X 6.5 Ordered Mizuno MP68 KBS Tour X Vokey Spin Milled 58* Vokey Spin Milled 64* Bettinardi BC-1 33" x77 stand bag Pro V1

I dont understand how Clemens and Associates can have so many good golfers. half our team was C&A; employees. I hit the 735cm's with project x shafts tonight at work and didnt really like them. i was hitting the ball about a club or two higher than my clubs. i dont know why but ive always loved my i3 blades, never really wanted to get a new set. i started playing with the eye2's and i guess its in my blood to like those clubs. is 15 the hole where you go over the creek twice to an elevated green? i always hated that hole because i dont play a draw very well, usually pull it real hard. flip that hole around and i'd be in business.

Bag: Hoofer 3
Driver: G10 9.5*
3 Wood: 975F 13.5*
Hybrid: G10 21*
Irons: i3 Blade 3-SWLob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60.04Utility Wedge: MB 60 bent to 64Putter: White Hot #5 Center Shafted/Lead Tape WeightedBall: Pro v1xLowest Round: 68 Par 72 (73/127)

Just got back from WIsconsin. Great Golf!!! Played Blackwolf-River on Friday, Straits course on Saturday. I had an awesome time and would definetely go again. Conditions at Blackwolf were top notch. The conditions at Whistling Straits were OK, but I guess your paying for the scenery.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Just got back from WIsconsin. Great Golf!!! Played Blackwolf-River on Friday, Straits course on Saturday. I had an awesome time and would definetely go again. Conditions at Blackwolf were top notch. The conditions at Whistling Straits were OK, but I guess your paying for the scenery.

how'd you shoot?
In The Bag

Both from the tips

Blackwolf..83 (41.42)
Straits..87 (40.47)

I shot 40 on the front at Whistling Straits. I played really well and my score was pretty much 3 "blow up" holes on the back nine. I got a nine on the par 5, 5th hole?. Damn little lake. I didnt put one ball into Lake Michigan but managed to knock one in that little pond!! 3 triple bogeys and one quad pretty much limits your scoring ability!! LOL. We played a lot of the tee boxes that they used for the 2004 PGA, which was cool. Hole 15 played 513 yards, and its a par 4!. I sucked it up big time on the par 5's. Wind was a factor on the front nine and pretty calm on the back nine.

I am going to plan another trip up there and hit up Arcadia in Michigan and take a trip across the pond to play Whistling Straits again. I need some revenge on the course.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

Whistling Straits was the hardest course I have ever played. The greens were so fast it was crazy.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

• 5 months later...
I've been toying with the idea of heading up there. But if you had a choice which would any of you have done, the trip to Whistling Straits or Pebble?

I've done both trips. If you can only do one trip, I recommend Pebble and the other Monterey Peninsula courses, particularly Spyglass. This is due to the iconic nature of Pebble. It is not a slight to Kohler, though. My first stay at the American Club and playing Whistling Straits, Black Wolf Run's River Course and the Irish course will be one of my treasured golf memories.

• 9 months later...
Had a chance to get back to Kohler again this fall. Here are a few of my thoughts...

- Played the combo of the River/Meadows course setup with 9 holes of each. First 9 were the meadows, which in my opinion is only an average course compared with others in Wisconsin. I can name 25 other Wisconsin courses I'd rather play. Very average layout.
- River course was very challenging. Greens were unbelievable fast. Can't imagine much faster reens.
- Just don't like the River course much. Very Scenic, but seems every hole is tricked out. I love challenging courses, but you can't miss out there.
- Greens are unreal. Usually about 4-6 mounds on any green which causes a double breaking putt on most. Can't imagine how the pros break par our there.
- Blackwolf is a very, very cool place. You pay for the atmosphere, not necessarily the golf.

Whistling Straits.
- Unbelievable cool place. You feel like you are at St Andrews. Clubhouse is very quaint, but it feels like it is 100+ years old.
- Irish and Straits course much more playable than Blackwolf Run.
- Both courses are very similar, but the Straits is along the lake. Very Scenic.
- Greens are fast, but manageable.
- Best to walk the Irish course. Cart paths are more of a hassle when walking 100 yards to your ball over the mounts. $60 cart fee is outrageous, but then again everything else is.
A very special place. The Straits is worth the $400 it will set you back.

Q: Would I fly across the country to play it?

A: Probably not Blackwolf Run, but definitely the Straits course. Erin Hills and The Bull may be better local choices to Blackwolf.

What's in my bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5
Fairway: Comp 15* Aldila NVS
Hybrids: 19* & 22*Irons: CG2 4-PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*Putter: Studio Design Newport 1.5Ball: One BlackBag: GPS: SG3

• 1 month later...
I live in Pinehurst yet I consider Kohler my favorite place to play golf. I love the Straits, beautiful and challenging and so very classic. Blackwolf Run is the most dificult course I have ever played. The slope is like 151! Get off on the right tees or you will have an awful day. Only issue with Kohler is that there is nothing to do other than golf. Of course you could visit the plumbing museum. This is a must play!

• 5 years later...

I am considering a Kohler trip. Thanks for a lot of good info. Just wondering how much of a crap shoot the weather can be in, say, early to mid-May? Or put another way, when might be the ideal time of year?

I am considering a Kohler trip. Thanks for a lot of good info. Just wondering how much of a crap shoot the weather can be in, say, early to mid-May? Or put another way, when might be the ideal time of year?

I live in Wisconsin, not that far south though.

We can get snow at anytime in May if that helps you.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've made the trip to Kohler the past two summers.  The first time, I went August, 2013 and the weather was perfect.  Sunny, 80's the whole time.  This past year, we went the week of July 4th and although the temps were fine, we had 2 days of rain.  Played Whistling Straits in an absolute downpour and had a blast.  My wife (not a golfer) walked the entire round with me in the pouring rain.  So, I would say stick to mid summer.

• 5 months later...
Heading to WS/BWR last week of August with 3 other guys for 4 days/6 rounds! Any tips or hints? Have played Royal Portrush & all PGA National Courses but really looking forward to golfing in WS.

I was just there a couple of weeks ago, and had a blast.  My first suggestion, play the right tees.  I played the green tees, suggested for 10 -18 handicaps or something like that, even tho I play to 6 or 7.  The courses had plenty of length to give me a good challenge.  Second suggestions, take caddies whenever you can get them, assuming it fits your budget.  We had a young guy named Will, and a not quite so young Jamaican guy named Donovan (with his buddy Pete on the other two bags that day) on the two days we had caddies, and both were excellent.  I don't know if you can request a specific caddie there, but if you can, those are all good guys to have.  If you want to eat "off-reservation", go to an Italian place called Lino's on the Sheboygan River's south side, almost to the lake.

Have a great time!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!