IGNORED

How Far Do You Drive?

bogeyhitter25
Note: This thread is 4731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 27, 6'3" and 245 lbs.  I wish I could tell you an answer but I can't, if I had to guess I average about 240-260 with roll and carry WHEN I hit it straight, but all this is based off of course markings and playing with google earth.  When your course has a markings on the tee box to the center of the green on a par 3 and one says 145, and the other says 157, and I only step off 5 yards between them.......?  I can't really trust the rest of their posted yardages, could you?  When I've played in Wisconsin I've averaged 260-270 on one course that was actually pretty accurate, and since I normally hit it about 10yds further up there than in Mississippi I will assume 240-260 is correct, but again this is just an assumption.

30 years old, 5'11", 200lbs (need to drop 20). I'd say my average drive is somewhere around 260-270. I hit 300+ drives on occasion. Also, I still get my a$$ handed to me by guys 25 years older than me every weekend.

Originally Posted by golferfreddie

There are a few that can AVERAGE 300yd drives.  I will say this: As long as my ball does not hit an edge of the fairway tree or other course obstruction that would limit the ball flight, I do average 300+ on drives.  I know that those things are part of the game and the course and would legitimately affect a tour player's average, but that is just my disclaimer

Now I know most people on the boards do not believe posters making these claims and I do understand that due to the anonymous nature of the internet it is easy for anyone to make these claims.  So I posted the only video I have of my driver swings from the last trip to the range onto You Tube.  Not the best video since I was shooting it with my phone and looking directly into a setting sun, but enough to get an idea.

300 is a long way, but all it takes is 270 or so carry, firm fairways and no wind.  That only takes a decent swing and ball speed in the mid 150s with a clubhead speed around 105.  I'm pretty sure a lot of guys can swing this fast, though not a lot have a swing decent enough to actually get it out there consistently.  The problem comes in when the 300 total becomes the 300 carry.  That's a either a seriously high quality swing with a lot of speed, or a decent swing with a tremendous amount of speed.  Either way you slice it, it's pretty rare.  i think that's why people generally call BS on the internet.  They're just playing the odds.

Not saying anything about your swing, mind you.  You look to me like you'd be in the "lot of speed, decent swing" category so I don't have any reason for disbelieving you...

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I'm 33, 5'10 180lbs.. this is officially the start of my 2nd year of playing golf seriously...I usually average between 240 - 250yds on good shots...I'm really contemplating on getting a driver fitted and compare results with my current stock driver.

ogio.gif Black/White Ozone Stand bag, Caddytek 13.5 Black/Red Push Cart

taylormade.gif RBZ Tour 9* Stiff / ping.gifRapture 3 'metal' Titanium 14* Stiff Aldila Proto VS 'By You'
adams.gif Hybrid A2 20*3 hybrid Stiff Aldila VS / ping.gifRapture Black Dot 4-PW Stiff / cleveland.gifWedges CG11 54* SW / taylormade.gif RAC 52*, 58*Wedge / odyssey.gif  33" White Hot XG

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

300 is a long way, but all it takes is 270 or so carry, firm fairways and no wind.  That only takes a decent swing and ball speed in the mid 150s with a clubhead speed around 105.  I'm pretty sure a lot of guys can swing this fast, though not a lot have a swing decent enough to actually get it out there consistently.  The problem comes in when the 300 total becomes the 300 carry.  That's a either a seriously high quality swing with a lot of speed, or a decent swing with a tremendous amount of speed.  Either way you slice it, it's pretty rare.  i think that's why people generally call BS on the internet.  They're just playing the odds.

Not saying anything about your swing, mind you.  You look to me like you'd be in the "lot of speed, decent swing" category so I don't have any reason for disbelieving you...

I think it's more that people aren't really taking the average when they give their average. It's easy to say I've hit 1 290 yard drive in my life, but my average, if I'm honest, including all the duffs on the tee, is probably under 200 yards. Based on the true definition of average I am really doubtful anyone on this forum AVERAGES 300 yards per drive.

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

It's pretty amazing that a lot of guys on the Sand Trap have better Driving Averages than most Golf Pro's.

We have some great golfers here!!

Originally Posted by nuck81

It's pretty amazing that a lot of guys on the Sand Trap have better Driving Averages than most Golf Pro's.

We have some great golfers here!!

We all know there's more to being a good golfer than hitting the ball a long way.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

First sentence is exactly right.  Almost anyone who's long (ie tallish), in decent shape (ie, strong and flexible), and is naturally athletic can learn to carry it at least in the 260s on average, and that's enough, with firm fairways, to average carry and roll at least in the 290s (internet rounded to 300!).  I get oohs and aahs for my drives on days when I'm accurate AND long, instead of just long, but that's just because there aren't that many big athletic guys on the golf course (I'm 6'2", 200lbs, played college baseball, do lots of flexibility work).  When 95% of the people you're paired with are 40+ with a gut, never work out other than walking from the cart to their shot, can barely rotate the shoulders paste 45˚, much less to 90˚, and were never good athletes, then yeah, it's going to seem impressive when someone can carry it 265-270 on average.  But pretty much every other guy I've ever been paired with who's 16-40 years old, not too short, in good shape, and is clearly naturally athletic can at least hit it only slightly shorter than me, and many, if not most, clearly longer on average.

Agreed also that averaging 300 CARRY is a different ballgame.  I may have done that once or twice ever, and then definitely with one or both of wind help and an at least slightly downhill fairway.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I suck with the driver, so my average driving distance is about the same as my average 3w distance: 220-230.

I can occasionally find my plane with the driver during the round and hit them in the 250-280 range, but I usually pop a few up that go 150 yards to balance it out.

I just turned 33 a couple weeks ago :)

Edit: here is my swing from last year.  I encourage anybody to drop by and give me some pointers on drills I can do to be rid of my flipping.  My swing is probably a little different so far this year, but not drastically.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

The problem comes in when the 300 total becomes the 300 carry.  That's a either a seriously high quality swing with a lot of speed, or a decent swing with a tremendous amount of speed.  Either way you slice it, it's pretty rare.  i think that's why people generally call BS on the internet.  They're just playing the odds.

There was a thread on here a couple of years ago that broke down the average carry distance of tour pros.  I believe it was in the 260-269 range.  If more people on the internetz knew that, they wouldn't embellish so much.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

I have no clue how far I drive... my 3w goes about 250, so I'd imagine 270-280 with a proper driver

If you're driving well and your clubs are a good match (to each other) that sounds about right. A decent drive should be about that much farther than a solid 3-wood.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Im 6'4 190 lbs (got that Dustin Johnson build haha) with a 115mph+ swing speed according to the launch monitor at golf galaxy and i can get 300 yards on a good one easily.  I know a lot of people on here probably don't believe it but im a pretty long kid lol.  If we are talking about average id say maybe 260-270 when you factor in the short duck hooks.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

I'm 24 and drive 280; I use a Titleist 975 JVS with a steel shaft.  I like the old school stuff...it is fun!

When I was 16, I was in the junior long drive competitions and hit 300 usually (with a different driver of course).  I hit 330 once with elevation and wind helping!  Too bad the other 16 and 17 year olds were a lot better than I was.  They looked like football players.

Sometimes I pull out the old PT from Titleist...solid 240 every time haha, but again, it's fun that way!

• Upvote 1

30 years old. 5'11" 220#. Just went to the range today for the first time in years. Averaged 270-280 with a few hitting the 300 net.

Driver- TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 9.5*

Driver- Calaway Diablo 13*HT

Woods- Callaway Diablo 3 FW / Callaway Diablo 5 FW

Hybrids- Callaway Diablo 3 Hybrid / Callaway Diablo 4 Hybrid

Irons- Callaway Diablo Edge 5-PW

Putter- Odyssey White Ice #3

Callaway Warbird Stand Bag

http://Shotly.com

Originally Posted by xlayedoutx

30 years old. 5'11" 220#. Just went to the range today for the first time in years. Averaged 270-280 with a few hitting the 300 net.

Do you have access to a laser rangefinder? It's good to make sure that 300 net is at 300 yards from all the hitting stations.

Note: This thread is 4731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!