IGNORED

What does your CLOTHING say about you?

Note: This thread is 5949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While I don't have a personal problem with people wearing jeans, I don't wear them. One time at the driving range was enough for me to realize that jeans are too hot and just plain uncomfortable to swing in. I think a small part of me also thinks that if I look good I'll play good but I haven't seemed to be able to make that connection.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of a matter of function too. Wearing jeans to play golf is about as functional as wearing them to go surfing.

The whole jean idea is not even an elitist thing at all to me. I love wearing jeans, t-shirts or whatever in the right context, but I think the game has an element of decency to it that others don't have. To me, that is part of the draw. Honestly, wear whatever you want to within the rules, but if you wear jeans on a golf course I think you don't have much respect or appreciation for the game. Why? Because it's more about YOU feeling comfortable than anything else. Heaven forbid you have to slide on a pair of khaki shorts and a polo shirt, I mean that is asking way too much.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I normally wear cargo shorts or plaid shorts and a polo shirt. I do not like it when people wear jeans, but once they become jorts (jean shorts) I really hate them. I do not normally tuck my shirt in because they are too short and would come out on every swing. I also don't have golf shorts or shirts because I can't let myself buy a $60 pair of shorts when the ones that I have now work perfectly.
In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

I am a member at a country club but what people wear doesn't matter to me. I golfed with a guy once that looked like a hobo but played like the club champion he was. I guess golf to me is about the game and not the way a person is dressed. I think that my cloths would say don't judge the book by it's cover.

Signed the Busdriver

In the bag:
Driver-:Launcher
Hybrid-:Srixon hybrids 3
Irons 4-PW-:
Wedges- Callaway X-tour "Mack Daddies"Putter-:mizuno bettinardiBall- Pro V1 ZUR c Bridgestone B330SThey call me the bus driver cuz I'll be taken your ass to school!!!!

• Administrator
I like the saying "dress for the job you want, not the job you have."

Though it doesn't apply 100%, I like to look like a pro golfer. I wear pants, even when it's hot out (it keeps my legs in the shade and, thus, just as cool as shorts). I wear decent looking collared shirts. I wear a hat, and I keep my shoes fairly clean. I wear a belt, sometimes with a little clip on it (with my name, a ballmark with the Sand Trap logo, etc.). I carry very little in my pockets.

I feel that I play better golf if I feel better about my appearance, and I'd always rather be over-dressed than under-dressed.

A good portion of my golf attire comes from the IZOD outlet. Pretty inexpensive, but still good quality and nice looking.

I don't care for jeans. I never wear them, and I don't care for them on others. I also tend to play at courses where jeans are either frowned upon or against the dress code. If I'm somewhere where they're not frowned upon or against the rules, I really don't care if others are wearing them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

. . .My clothes say "Hey that guy looks good. . .he must be a good golfer!" I'm getting better. . .but my dress is more in fashion than my golf scores right now!!

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

During the summer months in Texas, it get's hot! With that in mind, I tend to wear shorts and a white tee shirt. This is only during the evenings when I am practicing or playing a casual round. On the weekends, or when I am playing with friends, I always dress the part. I usually wear a nice pair or Hollister or Abercrombie plain khaki shorts and Polo golf shirt. I tend to not wear a hat because it make my head get really hot and sweaty.

When I practice, I like to wear a pair of athletic shorts and an Under Armor shirt or something along those lines.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

If Im at a par 3 course or a casual muni course, I

I agree with the idea of 'dress for the course', golf is more than a game, it's a shared experience and an atmosphere and golf courses go to great lengths to create certain atmospheres, it's kind of a magic trick which is deflated if people dress any which way. Got to respect the course owners, their investment, their efforts to maintain the course, and the type of experience they want to craft for you. If they want a dress code I'm fine with that, if a local par 3 muni lets jeans and cutoffs, that's OK too.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I take pride in what I wear. For me, dressing well is part of the game. Dressing like Sergio or Camilo Villegas makes me feel good and gives me extra confidence when I play! haha

Driver: Big Bertha 460 10*
Fairway: X Tour 3W 15* w/ Fujikura TP 26.3g
Hybrids: Fusion FT-Hybrid 3H 20*
Irons: MP-32 3i-PW
Wedges: Vokey 52.08 | SM56.14 | SM60.04Putter: Red X 33"Ball: Pro V1xShoes: Air Zoom Elite

I wear slacks and a collared shirt tucked sometimes with a hat sometimes not. In the summer Ill wear shorts because I dont need to be wearing pants when its 107 degrees outside (what it was when I teed off last Sunday). When I go to the range, I met get a little crazy and untuck the collared shirt

Driver 983k 9.5°
3 Wood 906f2 15°
5 wood 906f2 18°
Irons 735 3-pw S300, Golf Pride Tour Velvet cord
Wedges Spin Milled 53°, Spin Milled 59°Putter Studio Select Newport 2Goals for '10:1. Get down to scratch or better

Please inform me how jeans disrespect the game of golf. This is ridiculous.

If you have to ask, then you wouldn't understand.

If you are wearing jeans to play golf regularly, you likely are not playing very nice courses.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Respectfully, I think we're getting a bit carried away about jeans. Denim is banned on the PGA Tour. I believe plenty of golfers take their cue from that.

I think the PGA Tour took their cue from the norms of golf at the time. Jeans were never acceptable on a golf course, long before the PGA Tour existed.

People wearing jeans on the course should learn to respect the game and its history and be thankful that they are no longer required to wear a button down shirt and tie on the course.

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

"Will work for food"
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

One thing that is surprising me is the: "I am going to be comfortable, or I will take my money elsewhere attitude..." In regard to the restaurant or the course. What about the other people who are trying to treat themselves and may not consider a night out with the McDonald's crew to be a nice dining environment?

If I'm at a nice restaurant, I don't want to be surrounded by people in jean shorts and t-shirts. If so, I (and most of that place's clientelle) might take their money elsewhere. So while some people may not go there if they are not allowed to wear jeans, there are plenty of other people who don't want to be surrounded by people wearing jeans or t-shirts. The "I will take my money elsewhere" line doesn't work if the dining room is filled with people who like the touch of class in the restaurant.

If I take a guest to a club, I don't want there to be a bunch of people on the course in jeans. That gives the club a trashy impression. With the exception of Bethpage, how many high quality clubs allow jeans? So if you are taking a guest to your course, and people are wearing jeans (or even cargo shorts in some cases), what type of impression does that give your guest?

I know that is shallow, and that the guests should be able to form their own impressions, but if your club is littered with the sneaker brigade that does come across as trashy.

What's in the bag

One thing that is surprising me is the: "I am going to be comfortable, or I will take my money elsewhere attitude..." In regard to the restaurant or the course. What about the other people who are trying to treat themselves and may not consider a night out with the McDonald's crew to be a nice dining environment?

Pardon me Mr Sandman but would you happen to have any Grey Poupon.........

In the bag:
Driver-:Launcher
Hybrid-:Srixon hybrids 3
Irons 4-PW-:
Wedges- Callaway X-tour "Mack Daddies"Putter-:mizuno bettinardiBall- Pro V1 ZUR c Bridgestone B330SThey call me the bus driver cuz I'll be taken your ass to school!!!!

It dosent really bother me either way. Your clothes have nothing to do with your game, which what you really should be focusing on. I was a member at a pretty nice course last year and I went out on the course with a bag of balls after work dressed however I liked. Many of the members did the same. Though on the weekends it did tend to get a little more formal.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

It dosent really bother me either way. Your clothes have nothing to do with your game, which what you really should be focusing on. I was a member at a pretty nice course last year and I went out on the course with a bag of balls after work dressed however I liked. Many of the members did the same. Though on the weekends it did tend to get a little more formal.

Was your course in NJ? They actually allowed jeans on the course?

I find most northeast private courses have a tough enough time with cargo shorts, and jeans are a definite no.

What's in the bag

Was your course in NJ? They actually allowed jeans on the course?

Yeah it was. It wasnt full private, though. Anyone could play there on the weekdays after 12. But yeah, alot of the members just seemed to do whatever they wanted. Aside from the clothes thing, alot of them (me included) would just run out to certain holes and practice the trouble areas.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Note: This thread is 5949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!