IGNORED

Suggestions on how to fill my "gap"?

Note: This thread is 4815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi!

I just sold off my old set of beginner no-name clubs and jumped into a set of TaylorMade R7 irons and a Callaway Big Bertha 460 driver. The irons go from 4i-SW so that leaves a substantial gap between my driver and the 4i.

I plan to fill in the gap with 2, maybe even 3 clubs, but I am looking for suggestions on what to fill them with. Hybrids or fairway woods, or both? and in what lofts?? I hit my driver usually 260-270yards+, and I struggle a touch with my 4i, and usually lucky if I get in the 190-200 yard range. So that leaves me with a gap from ~190-~260yards. I was thinking of maybe 2 hybrids? a #2 and like a #3? (does a #2 and #3 mean that it somewhat takes the place of a 2i and 3i?)

Suggestions on brands and specific clubs would be awesome as well! I just want to see how every fills in this gap and see what type of options I have.

Any suggestions would be awesome! I am pretty new to the game of golf in terms of equipment and any info is good info to me!

Thank in advance,
Jonathan

If you decide to go the hybrid route...I would say it is most important to look at the loft degree of the club and not the number. For instance my Cleveland Halo 3 Hybrid has 22 degrees of loft...while the Taylormade R7 3 Hybrid has 19 degrees of loft, with their 4 Hybrid being 22 degrees. Even with the Halo's modest, "true to iron" lofts I easily hit it the hybrid 10 yards farther than a pure 3 iron...so you see how thinking 3 hybrid will replace 3 iron just doesn't work out most of the time.

There are three major thoughts on this topic. One is 3 wood, 5 wood, and 3 iron hybrid. This is for people who hit fairway woods better than hybrids. Two is 3 wood 2 iron hybrid, and 3 iron hybrid. This is for people who have to hit a lot of greens from long distances at their home courses and people who just hit hybrids better then fairway woods. Three is to only use a 3 wood and a hybrid (2 or 3 but generally 3) to fill the gap and to add another wedge to the bag. This is for people who would not really be more accurate with a 2 hybrid or a 3 wood and want more options at the bottom of the bag. Number three is what I would recommend for you. The SW in the r7 set in 55* so I would recommend the addition of a 60* wedge for those high shots that you want to stop, and a 19* Taylormade burner hybrid and a 15* Taylormade burner 3 wood. These are good clubs with forgiveness that new players need, and the wedge will help you develop your short game.

Hi!

So, you have ten clubs, plus putter? Then the question really amounts to whether you want one, two, or three clubs in that gap. I doubt you want one club for such a gap. Popular choices: * 4-Wood, 7-Wood * 3-Wood, 5-Wood, 7-Wood * 3-Wood, 5-Wood, 3-Hybrid * 3-Wood, 2-Hybrid, 3-Hybrid * 4-Wood, 3-Hybrid The two-club options leave you with the choice of a fourth wedge if you so desire. But you have a big gap and may want to fill the long-range gap instead.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for all the help guys! Great suggestions and exactly what I am looking for.

I actually have 10 clubs in total right now, driver, 4i, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, SW, and putter. So I think I may contemplate a 3W + a hybrid (possibly 19*), and then rounding out with a 60* wedge. That leaves me with one more club option, which I may invest in another wedge or maybe another hybrid? I will have to see how well a 3W and 19* hybrid will be in terms of covering my gap.

What are some other hybrids or fairway woods that you would recommend I try out in addition to the aforementioned TM clubs?
ALSO, would you recommend graphite or steel shafts for the hybrid and fairway woods? My current irons are steel and I am a younger mid 20s guy. Thanks!

you would want graphite shafts for your woods and hybrids, just check your swing speed to see if you need regular of stiff flex

I actually have 10 clubs in total right now, driver, 4i, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, SW, and putter. So I think I may contemplate a 3W + a hybrid (possibly 19*), and then rounding out with a 60* wedge. That leaves me with one more club option, which I may invest in another wedge or maybe another hybrid? I will have to see how well a 3W and 19* hybrid will be in terms of covering my gap.

Since you do not have the AW (50*) from the set, you have a ten degree gap between your PW (45*) and your SW (55*) so I would recommend either buying an AW to match your set or a 50* wedge. I really like my Cleveland CG14 wegdes. Also, you probably want a graphite shaft for your fairway woods and hybrids.

Well another Alberta boy, where you at? I think a 3W and then a 19 degree hybrid would do the trick, then that 60 degree for sure i love mine. and ya should be set. just my .02

I'm about your age - check my sig for my clubs. I found that there was no need to fill the gap between the 3 wood and 3 hybrid (probably only about 15 yards difference) but I did add a 5 hybrid to go along with my 5 iron because the trajectory is so different. when its dry the 5 iron goes farther because of more roll but otherwise the 5 hybrid has a lot more carry. I also added a 49° wedge to fill the 45-56 gap between my PW and SW and I really recommend you do that, I use the 49 all the time from around 50-100 yards but usually chip with the 56 because I like to put the ball well back in my stance when chipping and it gives me more loft.

I think I am going to go with a 3W and a 19*/#3 hybrid. Then also pick up a 50* or 52* wedge, and then a 60*. I am also consider getting replacing my 4i and maybe even my 5i with corrresponding hybrids since I am having a bit of difficulty hitting the 4i sometimes.

In terms of wedges, I currently just have a 55* SW. So a wedge between my PW and SW is a must. I am just thinking about what route to go for the wedges. I will eventually replace the SW, that's for sure. So maybe I will go with a 50*/56*/60*, or 52*/56*/60*? Hmm, 50* or 52*??

Well another Alberta boy, where you at? I think a 3W and then a 19 degree hybrid would do the trick, then that 60 degree for sure i love mine. and ya should be set. just my .02

I'm in Calgary!!

In terms of wedges, I currently just have a 55* SW. So a wedge between my PW and SW is a must. I am just thinking about what route to go for the wedges. I will eventually replace the SW, that's for sure. So maybe I will go with a 50*/56*/60*, or 52*/56*/60*? Hmm, 50* or 52*??

I would recommend a 52* because it is the most versatile club in my bag. I use it for most shots from 100-50 yards. It also goes well in a series with the 56*, and 60* wedges.

I would say you only need two woods/hybrids, i would recomend a 4 Wood and a 2 hybrid then get a Gap or Lob wedge 52*/60* respectively

I had a similar predicament and I filled my bag with a 3 wood (15*) a 19* Hybrid, a still carry a 3i just incase, but I got my self a PW, a 52, 56 and 60 wedge, a still have a small gap up on the driver wood section but I am better in the 100-120 yard range so I am more comfortable using wedges!!

I think the 3-wood and 3 hybrid with the gap wedge is the way I would go. The R-7 3-wood is a nice club, I have the r-7 steel with the graphite shaft and got a good deal on it.
My pitching wedge is 46 and my sand is 56, I got a 52 gap and have been working alot with that club.

Note: This thread is 4815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!