IGNORED

Ian Poulter - Ass

iacas
Note: This thread is 1996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't get too excited about any guy with a collection of Ferraris. Of course, he sold one to Rory. Maybe it reflects his over-the-top personality.

His behavior is known to be boorish and directed against fans and other competitors. One sometimes wonders if he is bipolar... :-)

But he is a talent.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, JxQx said:

Those emotions had little to do with making the putt and more so to do with making it into the masters/winning the tournament. I feel like most animated people would be pretty amped and act similarly given the circumstances.

Agree.  Like him or not, what he did yesterday (and the days leading up to it) was incredible.

I get why so many don't like him, I just wonder how many are "selective" in their reasoning. There are a lot of athletes who are the same way as far as entitlement. I hate to keep using Tiger as an example, but will, only because he has so many diehard fans here. Has Ian Poulter's on course behavior been worse then Tiger's? (Not to mention how Tiger condoned the behavior of Stevie the Caddy?) Again, I don't want this to come off as taking the low road, but what about their behavior off the course? Why do certain players get a pass and others don't? I never got the reasoning behind that. Maybe it's because while I do root for some guys more then others, I rarely root against an individual. I'm a big team sports fan, but I root for and against "the Jersey" more then any single player.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

3 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

I think a lot of the anti-Poulter guys just hated watching him kick butt in the Ryder Cup. I wonder, @NEhomer and @Bucki1968, if Justin Thomas' "F*** yeah" in the exact situation, or Tiger's fist pumps and other on course antics rubbed you the same way? I like when they show their emotions out there, but if it doesn't bother me when the guys I like do it, I can't complain when those I don't like do it.                                                                    

I don't like or dis-like the guy. I was referring to an article I read about Zach Johnson. Personally I can care less if wins, loses, acts like a horses ass, whatever. I'm simply stating that some of the guys on the tour don't like him. Justin Thomas got a big fine for the F### yeah. Tiger always got caught on camera swearing. Again....personally I could care less. All we are talking about are a bunch of millionaires who always say "I didn't know the camera was on me" when we all know how much they want to be on camera.  

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Has Ian Poulter's on course behavior been worse then Tiger's?

Yes. Exponentially.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I don't like or dis-like the guy. I was referring to an article I read about Zach Johnson. Personally I can care less if wins, loses, acts like a horses ass, whatever. I'm simply stating that some of the guys on the tour don't like him. Justin Thomas got a big fine for the F### yeah. Tiger always got caught on camera swearing. Again....personally I could care less. All we are talking about are a bunch of millionaires who always say "I didn't know the camera was on me" when we all know how much they want to be on camera.  

Your last sentence was perfect! Funny, yet true!

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Yes. Exponentially.

You've been out there, and personally were involved in a situation where Poulter acted like an ass. I've only watched them on television for the most part. Maybe because he's always on camera, but I haven't seen any golfer who has acted out more and worse then Tiger has. 

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

You've been out there, and personally were involved in a situation where Poulter acted like an ass. I've only watched them on television for the most part. Maybe because he's always on camera, but I haven't seen any golfer who has acted out more and worse then Tiger has. 

Tiger doesn't take it to the fans. Ian does. Repeatedly. Viciously. In practice rounds.

Tiger shows his emotions, good and bad. I give him credit for that, I don't see it as a negative. Much, much better than being a robot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Tiger doesn't take it to the fans. Ian does. Repeatedly. Viciously. In practice rounds.

Tiger shows his emotions, good and bad. I give him credit for that, I don't see it as a negative. Much, much better than being a robot.

Your first paragraph refers to something you know way more about then me. The second is exactly how I feel about guys like Tiger, Sergio, Patrick Reed, and Poulter.

Edited by GrandStranded

3 hours ago, NEhomer said:

I would have no problem if his emotions were genuine. My suspicion, however, is that he cherishes his "intensity" photo ops. The putt he just made wasn't difficult or clutch.....he could have swiped it multiple times and still won. 

Why would anyone get excited and emotional when they win for the first time in 6 years and that gets them into the Masters?  I doubt the emotion was about the putt, it was about the win.

4 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I just read an interview with Zach Johnson who made a comment about Poulter in a Ryder Cup match. Apparently Zach hasn't forgotten what about Ian's reaction to making a putt to win the match. I guess it's pretty common knowledge about who are the douche bags on tour.  I know a couple other guys who are included on that list.

Would those douche bags include the Americans who ran all over the green after Justin Leonard's big Ryder Cup putt?  When the match was still ongoing?  

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

2 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Why would anyone get excited and emotional when they win for the first time in 6 years and that gets them into the Masters?  I doubt the emotion was about the putt, it was about the win.

Would those douche bags include the Americans who ran all over the green after Justin Leonard's big Ryder Cup putt?  When the match was still ongoing?  

Amazingly, we find ourselves in agreement once again. Great post. :beer:

2 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Golly...he must be the only one that worked somewhere that has merchandise that they can't afford or got made fun of for their accent or ethnicity? It sounds like he has had a chip on his shoulder for a long time. Sounds like maybe jealousy and hate too?

This. You can have a chip on your shoulder about people rooting against you or carry a torch of animosity towards people thinking they relish in his demise... This only ensures that he makes more of those people. Allowing your negative past to continue to affect your future is not a success story in my book. I think he has done well for himself but as a business person, he is a rather poor representative for his company. 

Or as Jimmy Durante said, "Be nice to them on the way up, 'cuz you're gonna meet them on the way down!"

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Or as Jimmy Durante said, "Be nice to them on the way up, 'cuz you're gonna meet them on the way down!"

A "The Schnozz" reference!!! In a golf forum discussing Ian Poulter. Well done.

Just now, GrandStranded said:

A "The Schnozz" reference!!! In a golf forum discussing Ian Poulter. Well done.

Showing my age I guess! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Showing my age I guess! :-P

Me too. LOL.

4 hours ago, NEhomer said:

I would have no problem if his emotions were genuine. My suspicion, however, is that he cherishes his "intensity" photo ops. The putt he just made wasn't difficult or clutch.....he could have swiped it multiple times and still won. 

You would say the same about Crenshaw breaking down in 1995 after making a short putt? It's not a reaction to making a 2 footer, it's about everything else. I think Poulter's emotions are entirely genuine. First stroke-play win, gets into the Masters after thinking he was in last week. Terrible start, super strong finish. And criticism all the time. I'd never say he doesn't deserve criticism, and I don't particularly like him, but I think he was genuinely elated and pumped. Why not?

golfworld-2009-04-gwar04_090406crenshaw.jpg

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Won't/can't root for a dick in golf or life. The chip on the shoulder about his past is BS - 'I was pushed around growing, so I won't take any prisoners'. You gotta get past that at some point. Especially when things have cleared up. Grow the eff up.

I have never heard of stories about Tiger yelling at or demeaning a fan.

Vishal S.

8 minutes ago, Shorty said:

You would say the same about Crenshaw breaking down in 1995 after making a short putt? It's not a reaction to making a 2 footer, it's about everything else. I think Poulter's emotions are entirely genuine. First stroke-play win, gets into the Masters after thinking he was in last week. Terrible start, super strong finish. And criticism all the time. I'd never say he doesn't deserve criticism, and I don't particularly like him, but I think he was genuinely elated and pumped. Why not?

golfworld-2009-04-gwar04_090406crenshaw.jpg

I don't know what point you're trying to make.

Edited by NEhomer

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

Note: This thread is 1996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!