IGNORED

Ian Poulter - Ass

iacas
Note: This thread is 1996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I honestly don't know why everyone got so torqued about what I said. I even questioned it myself and framed it simply as how it struck me, nothing more. 

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

1 hour ago, NEhomer said:

I honestly don't know why everyone got so torqued about what I said. I even questioned it myself and framed it simply as how it struck me, nothing more. 

Agree. Let's all move on on this.

To summarize: We all agree he's a dick. He's a good golfer, really good Ryder Cup player and teammate, tips well in one instance at least, but comes off as a rude, pompous, self-important show-boat, who rails against the very fans that provide his ostentatiously wealthy lifestyle even though he came from humble beginnings.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Agree. Let's all move on on this.

To summarize: We all agree he's a dick. He's a good golfer, really good Ryder Cup player and teammate, tips well in one instance at least, but comes off as a rude, pompous, self-important show-boat, who rails against the very fans that provide his ostentatiously wealthy lifestyle even though he came from humble beginnings.

I don't necessarily agree with all of that.  I agree that he has been a dick in the past, but I don't know that that necessarily means that he IS a dick.  He might be a perfectly nice guy who's emotionally inconsistent, like Bubba Watson.  How can we really know these people?  We stand off at a distance and see them do something, and based on that very small random sample, we judge them without really knowing the totality of who they are. 

Edited by Marty2019

16 hours ago, NEhomer said:

He "called me out" by referring to Ben Crenshaw? 

What possibly makes you think it wasn't?

I'm going to say this for the final time. The outcome of the tournament was NOT riding on the final putt. Most players in that situation will show a sigh of relief that it's over and that they've won. Fiery outburst type reactions usually come from players in reaction to closing it out with a difficult or at least surprising shot.

Ian's a showboater and imo, (which I've stated more than once I could be wrong about) it appeared that his reaction was more about a photo op.

There's really not a whole lot to argue about except that some of you cats like to argue. You may disagree with me if you'd like, but I have nothing more to add. None of you have any more proof of his true feelings than I do and on message boards, sometimes we muse about shit.

That's just how the whole thing seemed to me and I was just sharing that thought.

No it was not riding on the final putt but the tournament is. You are not the winner until it's in the hole. I'm sure he was controlling his nerves all day and didn't want to take any chances. I'm absolutely sure he was genuine. His heart probably stopped after the putt went in and had to restart it anyway....

Poulter is slated for analyst duties for the golf channel now, lucky for @iacas

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

49 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

No it was not riding on the final putt but the tournament is. You are not the winner until it's in the hole. I'm sure he was controlling his nerves all day and didn't want to take any chances. I'm absolutely sure he was genuine. His heart probably stopped after the putt went in and had to restart it anyway....

Poulter is slated for analyst duties for the golf channel now, lucky for @iacas

@NEhomer: It just struck me watching the highlights of last year that there's a direct comparison. By the time he was putting on that first playoff hole, Sergio had clearly won - Rose had missed his par putt and Sergio had two putts for it. He holes it and has a very similar, very emotional reaction to Poulter's. Would you have expected any different? Would you criticise Sergio for his reaction? Worth noting that Sergio also had a chip on his shoulder when he first came onto the scene, was brash on the course (admittedly, none of the stuff towards spectators that Erik has mentioned with Poulter, as far as I'm aware) and disliked by a lot of the American spectators, if I remember correctly.

I just don't see the difference between the two.

Edited by b101

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

17 hours ago, Shorty said:

Don't some people feel entitled to get outrageously high tips from wealthy customers? :-)

Why would a thread about Poulter being an "ass" involve hearsay about Tiger's tipping.

I would thing that the generosity of a lot of players is something you never hear about. Tiger has donated many millions to worthy causes.

My apologies please, I forgot that saying something critical about Tiger Woods, though true, is not acceptable around here.

I promise to say 25 Hail Tigers and wear one of my Nike shirts tomorrow for punishment. May God forgive me.

Live from the doghouse.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

My apologies please, I forgot that saying something critical about Tiger Woods, though true, is not acceptable around here.

Yeah… that's not even remotely accurate.

But, the topic is about Ian Poulter, so bringing up TW just to take a shot at a rumor/reputation feels cheap and out of place.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

I think he is questioning the relevance to topic. Surely a big thing here. Threads get routinely offhand/derailed by tangential comments.

There are a hundred Tiger threads on the site and lots of folks on both sides on many levels of Tiger.   

Vishal S.

18 hours ago, sheepdog said:

Doesn't Tiger have a reputation as being a lousy tipper?

Dunno - I recall hearing from some Perkins waitresses that they got way more than the tip from Tiger. Just sayin'....?

(Valiant attempt to lighten the mood a bit.)

• Like 1

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

30 minutes, I rest my case. :whistle:

:hmm: 

If you say so, man. Nothing's been done. I don't even know what "case" you're resting.

The topic here is Ian Poulter. You made a TW comment, someone else responded.

That's how forums work.

Now, please, get back to the topic. Which, you'll note again, is not TW, but Ian Poulter.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I assume the comment above was in reference to my post so I'll try to get us back on track.

I struggle a little bit with Ian Poulter. For the longest time I didn't like him at all and thought that he was pompous, arrogant, and just not fun to watch. No matter how well he played in team events. That said, I found myself having a bit of an appreciation for his struggles. He was on the cusp of losing his tour card (or did lose it perhaps)  after his medical exemption was expiring but appeared to become a little more humble and in my opinion fought hard to earn his way back. Did he whine or does he still whine? Yeah probably but it doesn't seem as evident as I  recall in the past. To that end, I find myself following him more and rooting for him to at least contend when he earns it. 

And absolutely no way does that condone the behavior that the original poster described. Potter has to learn to keep the emotions and his historical arrogance and check if he wants his fans and the golf karma gods to  remain on his side. That's part of being a professional and in the spotlight. If you want to make noise and be in the center of attention you have to take the good with the bad and know how to handle it. 

• Like 1

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

1 hour ago, sheepdog said:

30 minutes, I rest my case. :whistle:

Old rhetoric. If you can show me value of your comment to this thread I'd give you a nod. Reality is that you are a troll but you aren't the first one.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
Just now, Valleygolfer said:

Old rhetoric. If you can show me value of your comment to this thread I'd give you a nod. Reality is that you are a troll but you aren't the first one.

I don't even know what the f*** he was talking about. I suspect he doesn't, really, either. :-)

Anyway…

It is not that hard folks. Read the thread title, then read the OP, then stick to that subject. Easy Peasey.

The subject is Ian Poulter.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, Al B Tross said:

Dunno - I recall hearing from some Perkins waitresses that they got way more than the tip from Tiger. Just sayin'....?

(Valiant attempt to lighten the mood a bit.)

Trying to lighten the mood by pouring off-topic gasoline on an off-topic fire is a . . . bad move, to put it charitably.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

My original post was about Poulter being a good tipper unlike this forum's Messiah. Poulter's a good tipper so waitresses throughout the world might think Ian's not the ass you all are hinting he is. The rest was my response to someone saying my wife has an entitlement complex. I'm defending my wife and those that have a problem with that can......................................

Live from the doghouse.

8 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

My original post was about Poulter being a good tipper unlike this forum's Messiah. Poulter's a good tipper so waitresses throughout the world might think Ian's not the ass you all are hinting he is. The rest was my response to someone saying my wife has an entitlement complex. I'm defending my wife and those that have a problem with that can......................................

Did I miss something? I thought I was following along in this thread. When did your wife get mentioned, involved?

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

Note: This thread is 1996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!