Jump to content
IGNORED

Ian Poulter - Ass


Note: This thread is 836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator
11 hours ago, Shorty said:

He has a reputation as an incredible team and match player and has done more than "nothing". 

He has won a lot less than you'd think you'd have to to have the millions he has - I don't think his clothing business could be THAT profitable - but he's one of those guys whose attitude just sticks in the craw and they never get over it. A bit like people whingeing about

 

 

I believe his clothing business shut down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen Lee Trevino do it, Allenby do it, Vijay do it, Tiger do it, Greg Norman do it.. the list goes on and on.  Jack Nicklaus treated my best friend like crap during a business meeting (that was j

He comes off hateful to YOU. Not everyone. I like him and Sergio a lot. Two guys who have a little fire in their belly. (and yes, as mentioned above Tiger and Jordan are the same way.) Always find it

If you equate swearing with rape... the issues may well be with you, not Poulter. There are so many rigid, boring sportspeople that never reveal any human side, and their interviews are just du

Posted Images

20 hours ago, JxQx said:

Those emotions had little to do with making the putt and more so to do with making it into the masters/winning the tournament. I feel like most animated people would be pretty amped and act similarly given the circumstances.

Absolutely, winning (1st time in 6 yrs) would have meant a great deal to him. Given what happened last week, he probably wasn't counting anything until his putt went in. Sure, he must finally have known he had it when beau didn't chip for bogey, but he's hardly going to celebrating at that point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, turtleback said:

Why would anyone get excited and emotional when they win for the first time in 6 years and that gets them into the Masters?  I doubt the emotion was about the putt, it was about the win.

Would those douche bags include the Americans who ran all over the green after Justin Leonard's big Ryder Cup putt?  When the match was still ongoing?  

Yes...it could be some of those Americans. Again...I am referring to an article I read. Not calling Ian Poulter or any other European Ryder Cup player a douche bag. Like I stated earlier, at the end of the day it's a bunch of millionaires who act like they didn't know the camera was on them or what they said or did was taken out of context. It's a product of a new generation that I am not familiar with as far as they're actions. I do know a few tour players who have mentioned the guys on tour that they think are assholes. Not naming names or attempting to drag anyone through the mud.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, NEhomer said:

You had to write it twice because it's retarded. Please point out where I remotely suggested that all players showing emotion on the last hole are disingenuous unless the putt they just made was difficult. In Ben's case, he carried Harvey Penick's coffin that week.

Players who's win is pre-determined prior to holing out don't generally go all intensity dude on the shot. That's all I'm saying and at that, I copped to quite possibly mis-reading the whole thing. 

You said "I would have no problem if his emotions were genuine."  That's waht I am taking issue with. How was he not genuine? That is the authentic Poulter.

I am struggling to see why you think his emotions were not genuine. The win has turned his fortunes around and he was pumped up.

Crenshaw's was an outpouring of grief. Both extreme expressions. One heartbreaking (which made me and millions cry) and one which was expected and perhaps over the top. 

But, both genuine. That's the way Poulter is. It may seem distasteful, but when American players carry on like that in Ryder Cup people seem to love it. They admire the "passion". 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Shorty said:

You said "I would have no problem if his emotions were genuine."  That's waht I am taking issue with. How was he not genuine? That is the authentic Poulter.

I am struggling to see why you think his emotions were not genuine. The win has turned his fortunes around and he was pumped up.

Crenshaw's was an outpouring of grief. Both extreme expressions. One heartbreaking (which made me and millions cry) and one which was expected and perhaps over the top. 

But, both genuine. That's the way Poulter is. It may seem distasteful, but when American players carry on like that in Ryder Cup people seem to love it. They admire the "passion". 

 

You are all over the place on this and I just don't know how to explain it in plainer terms or more succinctly. So I'll just wave the white flag on this one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
13 minutes ago, NEhomer said:

You are all over the place on this and I just don't know how to explain it in plainer terms or more succinctly. So I'll just wave the white flag on this one. 

Huh? No he's not. He's been calling you out on this:

On 4/2/2018 at 9:44 AM, NEhomer said:

I would have no problem if his emotions were genuine. My suspicion, however, is that he cherishes his "intensity" photo ops. The putt he just made wasn't difficult or clutch.....he could have swiped it multiple times and still won. 

I too thought his emotions and his reaction were genuine. What possibly makes you think it wasn't?

I don't like Ian one bit. I rooted against him. And not a single shred of me believes that his reaction wasn't genuine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Actually, I think he was hiding his emotions better last weekend:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/43529951

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/03/24/poulter-tweets-about-media-masters-mix-match-play-loss

He would have been absolutely seething, and justifiably so, after this. Interesting how the UK media reports it differently to the US media though, where it's heavy on the implication that he's looking for an excuse. For info, in his interview with Sky Sports after the round, he 100% refused to blame his WGC exit on this miscommunication.

With regard to winning the Houston Open, having had the start that he had on Day 1 and with this in the background, holing that putt on 18 and then winning the playoff - yeah, I think his reaction was pretty genuine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My wife used to be a waitress at a very well known BBQ place right around the corner from the TPC @ Southwind. I remember her telling me some guy named Poulter was a good tipper. She waited on some young guy named Rory something and he gave her $100..

 

Doesn't Tiger have a reputation as being a lousy tipper?

Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

My wife used to be a waitress at a very well known BBQ place right around the corner from the TPC @ Southwind. I remember her telling me some guy named Poulter was a good tipper. She waited on some young guy named Rory something and he gave her $100..

 

Doesn't Tiger have a reputation as being a lousy tipper?

Don't some people feel entitled to get outrageously high tips from wealthy customers? :-)

Why would a thread about Poulter being an "ass" involve hearsay about Tiger's tipping.

I would thing that the generosity of a lot of players is something you never hear about. Tiger has donated many millions to worthy causes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Huh? No he's not. He's been calling you out on this:

I too thought his emotions and his reaction were genuine. What possibly makes you think it wasn't?

I don't like Ian one bit. I rooted against him. And not a single shred of me believes that his reaction wasn't genuine.

He "called me out" by referring to Ben Crenshaw? 

What possibly makes you think it wasn't?

I'm going to say this for the final time. The outcome of the tournament was NOT riding on the final putt. Most players in that situation will show a sigh of relief that it's over and that they've won. Fiery outburst type reactions usually come from players in reaction to closing it out with a difficult or at least surprising shot.

Ian's a showboater and imo, (which I've stated more than once I could be wrong about) it appeared that his reaction was more about a photo op.

There's really not a whole lot to argue about except that some of you cats like to argue. You may disagree with me if you'd like, but I have nothing more to add. None of you have any more proof of his true feelings than I do and on message boards, sometimes we muse about shit.

That's just how the whole thing seemed to me and I was just sharing that thought.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, NEhomer said:

Ian's a showboater and imo, (which I've stated more than once I could be wrong about) it appeared that his reaction was more about a photo op.

 

Thanks again for supporting my argument and destroying your own. Poulter is a showboater. He reacted like a showboater. You said it. His reaction is 100% authentic and 100% genuine according to what you (personally) would expect. Reacting in a way you (or I) disapprove of does not negate the authenticity of the reaction.

You don't have to be very bright to recognise that the cool thing to do would be to sink the putt, shake hands and walk off without carrying on and do the opposite of what is expected. He didn't, which again supports the fact that he is real. We don't have to like it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Thanks again for supporting my argument and destroying your own. Poulter is a showboater. He reacted like a showboater. You said it. His reaction is 100% authentic and 100% genuine according to what you (personally) would expect. Reacting in a way you (or I) disapprove of does not negate the authenticity of the reaction.

You don't have to be very bright to recognise that the cool thing to do would be to sink the putt, shake hands and walk off without carrying on and do the opposite of what is expected. He didn't, which again supports the fact that he is real. We don't have to like it.

 So my suspicion that he was showboating destroys the notion that he may have been showboating. Got it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NEhomer said:

 So my suspicion that he was showboating destroys the notion that he may have been showboating. Got it.

Dear me. How long will you persist? He IS a showboater. That doesn't make him phony. It makes him a dick in the eyes of many. You and I included.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Shorty said:

Dear me. How long will you persist? He IS a showboater. That doesn't make him phony. It makes him a dick in the eyes of many. You and I included.

This. He reacted exactly as you would have expected, but you're both quibbling over whether it was a calculated reaction or an emotional one. My bet would be emotional given the recent rollercoaster, but it's not a surprising reaction and, to be honest, it's good to see someone care given how big the stakes were. Even if it was a tap-in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

59 minutes ago, NEhomer said:

 So my suspicion that he was showboating destroys the notion that he may have been showboating. Got it.

I bet you are a lot of fun at weddings and funerals, telling people how they should celebrate or mourn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
2 hours ago, NEhomer said:

What possibly makes you think it wasn't?

I'm going to say this for the final time. The outcome of the tournament was NOT riding on the final putt. Most players in that situation will show a sigh of relief that it's over and that they've won. Fiery outburst type reactions usually come from players in reaction to closing it out with a difficult or at least surprising shot.

Says you.

Given what he went through the week before, and that this was his first PGA Tour stroke play win, and his first win of any kind in six years, AND that it got him into the Masters, I can see perfectly well how he'd be totally psyched to have won.

And given how it would have been inappropriate to have that reaction before he'd actually won, even though he could have three-putted or whatever… the timing isn't something I question.

So no, I think you're full of shit. I despise Ian Poulter and I don't think there was anything not completely genuine about his reaction. I don't think he was doing it to "act for the cameras" or because he "cherishes his 'intensity' photo ops."

2 hours ago, NEhomer said:

Ian's a showboater and imo, (which I've stated more than once I could be wrong about) it appeared that his reaction was more about a photo op.

:doh: For that and the later comments where you fail to understand how a showboater reacting like a showboater is not phony, but instead very real.

2 hours ago, NEhomer said:

There's really not a whole lot to argue about except that some of you cats like to argue. You may disagree with me if you'd like, but I have nothing more to add. None of you have any more proof of his true feelings than I do and on message boards, sometimes we muse about shit.

That's just how the whole thing seemed to me and I was just sharing that thought.

The above is all true. None of us truly know.

But you're in the minority, and very likely wrong, about Ian's reaction. That's all anyone's saying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Poulter's demeanor has been on display for far too many years for anyone to think that his reaction at the Houston Open was anything but genuine.

Come on, homer! Have you been paying attention to pro golf for like 6 months, or what?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjan21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I would rather use the other "Would You Rather?" topic.  😀  Bet you didn't know that topic was already out there.  It's a good and recurring one... you might get a kick out of perusing it. Otherwise, a belated welcome to the forum.
    • I want to test out the new Ping G425 series clubs.  Will I buy them?  Probably not.
    • So my kid like to play this game “would you rather”.  They ask silly questions like would you rather eat hair or dirt.  Things like that.  It made me think of the status of my current golf game.  I played horrible overall but my putter was on fire and managed to get a respectable score.  My question is would rather spray the ball all over the course but still manage a low round.  Or have a great ball striking round and have horrible score because of poor putting.  Of course this is all relative obviously but I personally would love to strike the ball well and still not score well because of poor course management, three putts, bad chips, or just bad luck.
    • OT.. I appreciate the title change.   When people Google a topic to search for practice on the course they don't want to find something totally off topic about two mind sets.   Regardless of the OP, each topic title should represent the topic of the thread.
    • Now that I just bought the Titleist T200 irons and just picked up the Tsi2 Driver and 3 Wood, only decision is if to get new Edel wedges, since the current two I’ve had for about 4 years.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. dpriceva
      dpriceva
      (59 years old)
    2. Jim C
      Jim C
      (60 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...