iacas

Ian Poulter - Ass

292 posts in this topic Last Reply

2 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

Interesting, he seems so prominent in the cups over the years I just presumed he had played the Presidents Cup as well.  Happen to know why he hasn't?  Personal choice? Not selected? Injuries?

Because he's European, and the Presidents Cup is between the U.S. and the rest of the world that isn't in the Ryder Cup.

:hmm:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I will have to admit, Poulter is a beast at the Ryder Cup. He's had 18 matches, winning 13 points! He has the highest winning percentage of any European Ryder Cup member who has been in more than one Ryder Cup. (I excluded Peter Mills in 1957/1959. He only played in 1 match in both Ryder Cups).

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Because he's European, and the Presidents Cup is between the U.S. and the rest of the world that isn't in the Ryder Cup.

:hmm:

No wonder we have such a stellar record :-D.

Rather Poulter than Montgomerie any day.

When asked what he was doing when Tiger won the '97 Masters, Poulter who is the same age as TW, volunteered:

"I was working in a pro shop, selling Mars Bars and giving one pound lessons to kids..." (he may as well have said I aint no Tiger..)

Montgomerie gives everyone the pip wherever he goes. He played with the Australian Cricket captain (who is like off plus 3) and would not acknowledge him until he had birdied the first 4 holes and Monty had all pars.

20 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Shocking that Poulter is involved in another verbal assault of another. Not sure how anyone can like this guy.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/24105997/ian-poulter-denies-verbal-abuse-marshal-scottish-open

I’ve never really seen any redeeming qualities about this douche. Time after time he shows he’s just an ass. 

Sounds like a misunderstanding reading the article, he was annoyed that his ball was in a bush and the marshall thought he was annoyed with him. 

5 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Shocking that Poulter is involved in another verbal assault of another. Not sure how anyone can like this guy.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/24105997/ian-poulter-denies-verbal-abuse-marshal-scottish-open

I'm not sure about "liking" but any European who watched the Ryder Cup in 2012 will always give Poulter the benefit of the doubt!

I don't know, to me the point he made (poorly) was that as a marshall, he can go in the bush, identify (with out doubt) it is his ball and save time in general. If in the process of doing any of that, if the balls is moved, poulter can replace ball w/o penalty. No the case if Poulter accidentally did this. It maybe improve his lie marginally, but in the middle of a bush, not sure how big a difference that would make.

He comes across as salty, but then that's him, he appears to be a tough competitor, if keeping his game face on annoys people don't look. Any name calling I can't condone, but he clearly is an 'under-the-breath-mutterer', which is IMO much better than loudly criticising one's self in 3rd person!

3 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I'm not sure about "liking" but any European who watched the Ryder Cup in 2012 will always give Poulter the benefit of the doubt!

Yea let's let him rape and pillage since he is good at golf. 

2 hours ago, Darth_Fader said:

he clearly is an 'under-the-breath-mutterer', which is IMO much better than loudly criticising one's self in 3rd person!

This is a dumb statement IMO... Since we are sharing opinions. I fail to see any difference in self criticism here. 

3 hours ago, Darth_Fader said:

I don't know, to me the point he made (poorly) was that as a marshall, he can go in the bush, identify (with out doubt) it is his ball and save time in general. If in the process of doing any of that, if the balls is moved, poulter can replace ball w/o penalty. No the case if Poulter accidentally did this. It maybe improve his lie marginally, but in the middle of a bush, not sure how big a difference that would make.

He comes across as salty, but then that's him, he appears to be a tough competitor, if keeping his game face on annoys people don't look. Any name calling I can't condone, but he clearly is an 'under-the-breath-mutterer', which is IMO much better than loudly criticising one's self in 3rd person!

It'd be different if this was the first time. But Poulter has a reputation for being an absolute jackass to both fans and marshals. So do I take the marshal's word for it? You bet I do. There are a lot of things that Poulter does on the course that doesn't get in the news as well that would make fans hate him even more. 

39 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

This is a dumb statement IMO... Since we are sharing opinions. I fail to see any difference in self criticism here. 

Dumb in which capacity? Under-breath-muttering at one's own expense I ain't got a qualm with, as opposed to swiping at tee markers, loudly whinging or gesticulating wildly. Now passive-aggressive (or openly aggressive) under-breath-mumbling aimed at another, esp a unpaid marshal, I'd never condone or excuse. 

35 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

It'd be different if this was the first time. But Poulter has a reputation for being an absolute jackass to both fans and marshals. So do I take the marshal's word for it? You bet I do. There are a lot of things that Poulter does on the course that doesn't get in the news as well that would make fans hate him even more. 

I agree there's defo an air of a*shole about Poulter, undeniably, always has been. However the marshal in question is an author who I also suspect is keen to milk this for all its worth. See his 'make an apology personal' remark. But then any publicity is good right?? Not defending Poulter overall, in fact his demeanor usually grates on me, but there's certainly to this story than Poulter bashers would have you believe, imo. 

19 minutes ago, Darth_Fader said:

Dumb in which capacity? Under-breath-muttering at one's own expense I ain't got a qualm with, as opposed to swiping at tee markers, loudly whinging or gesticulating wildly. Now passive-aggressive (or openly aggressive) under-breath-mumbling aimed at another, esp a unpaid marshal, I'd never condone or excuse. 

Because we still hear it. It has been shown that Poulter takes his poor play out on others which to me is abusive and much worse than just chastising yourself loudly or making a angry back swing. I would be fine with frustration either muttered or loudly exclaimed, hell I do it. People have different personalities.

What I get from your comment is that this is a jab at Tiger or Spieth in a thread that is about Poulter's dicklike behavior. 

@ValleygolferYou're the first one to mention either of those 2 gents, I'm commenting on things I've seen/heard with my own eyes/ears albeit sometimes via TV. Whenever I've seen Tiger in person he's been a joy to follow, might swear a bit, but at himself, not others. I love how Spieth conducts himself as I see it as little more than wearing his heart on his sleeve, every stroke means a lot to him. His recent interaction with a marshal shows the correct way to stand your ground, while maintaining decorum. 

20 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Because we still hear it

Unless there's footage and everyone's mic'd up etc, I'd be inclined to believe what I hear, not what 'we' hear. How many other examples of Poulter taking out his poor play on others (covered by legit media, not random twitter posts) can you present? Set google search filter to exclude anything prior to this week of course. 

6 minutes ago, Darth_Fader said:

@ValleygolferYou're the first one to mention either of those 2 gents, I'm commenting on things I've seen/heard with my own eyes/ears albeit sometimes via TV. Whenever I've seen Tiger in person he's been a joy to follow, might swear a bit, but at himself, not others. I love how Spieth conducts himself as I see it as little more than wearing his heart on his sleeve, every stroke means a lot to him. His recent interaction with a marshal shows the correct way to stand your ground, while maintaining decorum. 

Unless there's footage and everyone's mic'd up etc, I'd be inclined to believe what I hear, not what 'we' hear. How many other examples of Poulter taking out his poor play on others (covered by legit media, not random twitter posts) can you present? Set google search filter to exclude anything prior to this week of course. 

The OP has his own personal experience with Poulter is one example. You say this about Tiger and Jordan but they both talk in 3rd person so I was using your words as the example, unless you are just playing stupid?

22 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

The OP has his own personal experience with Poulter is one example.

OK, that's one other example...from a decade ago. This thread essentially died for 10 years, but for a handful of posts referring to the OP and another incident (from Hong Kong I think). A lot of golfers do the aforementioned 3rd person self-criticism, and if they kept the audio level down to that of muttering I'd probably like them more but at the end of the day, the way an Oosthuizen carries himself is the way imo.

I won't defend his overall antics, as I said, something about him always grated on me, but then that appears intrinsic to his match play record/pedigree, so it works for him. If he was meek and quiet and never earned that ryder cup/match-play rep(not saying his loutish behavior is the only reason for this, clearly a lot of talent and perseverance - see his road to becoming a pro, not an easy one), his career really wouldn't be worth noticing.

1 hour ago, Darth_Fader said:

This thread essentially died for 10 years

Yes but consist behavior keeps bringing it back. The twitter rages, etc.

if they kept the audio level down to that of muttering I'd probably like them more

Like I said, everyone has a different way of dealing with things. I may not agree with some either but if they are not abusing anyone or breaking stuff I am indifferent.

If he was meek and quiet and never earned that ryder cup/match-play rep

I don't mind his intensity here but appreciate it.

clearly a lot of talent and perseverance - see his road to becoming a pro, not an easy one), his career really wouldn't be worth noticing.

Everyone has adversity but it never seems like he is absent of the chip on his shoulder. He acts like anyone watching him or taking his picture when he is playing bad is against him. If he let his performance speak for him, he would be better appreciated. He often just comes off hateful.