IGNORED

How is Nike keeping Tiger happy?

SwinginCaveman
Note:Β This thread is 5775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

The reliability of the source is largely irrelevant, any Nike rep is going to tell you Tiger plays Nike irons, someone off the street will conjure up a conspiracy theory about what clubs he actually uses.

Truth is only a few people will know what Irons hide under the Nike stamp, and apart from speculation I doubt we will find out for sure.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

There was a 1/2 hour special on the Golf Channel that focused almost soley on the relationship of Nike and Tiger Woods a few months back. He has a clause in his contract that says he can use any clubs he wants, that's why he's had the same non-Nike putter for 10 years.

I saw that as well. Interesting watch.

That's when they went over the irons, what went into each iron, how they saved the mold for each iron, etc...

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I dont think the equipment that he uses is vastly different from what you can get. I also dont think he will be any less effective if he uses a Mizuno or a Titleist set of blades instead of Nike. It is his talent, his discipline and the six inches between his ears that make him what he is.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

Hopefully the attachment worked but I found a prototype picture of new Nike forged irons. And as far as Tiger, I found this site with alot of answers relating to his clubs...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/lofive...p/t115733.html

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

Cant be good if they have lead tape all over them...hahahahaha...
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Erik,

You responded to my statement that the players don't use different types of steel. However, I've done some research and companies do use different types. For example, Bridgestone uses a 1020 mild carbon steel, Mizuno uses a 1025E, Snake Eyes uses a 1035.

Am I crazy or are these types of steel the same with just different names?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Β 

Ball-White and Round

Β 

You're not crazy, but they are not the exactly the same. IIRC, the '10' identifies the type of substance, in this case, carbon steel. The '20', '25', '35' indicates the percentage of carbon in the steel/100. So, 1020 has .20% carbon, whereas 1025 has .25% carbon. The more carbon, the more hard/brittle the steel is.

In the Bag:

Driver: FT-5 Tour 9.5*; Grafalloy PL Red
FW Wood: X 17*; Stock shaft
Hybrid: X 21*; Fujikura BanzaiIrons: X-18 Pro Series; S300Wedges: X forged 56* & 60*balls; tees; like $20 in change; chapstick; bugspray; a bunch of wrappers and such.

Erik,

This is true but doesnt really prove your point. These clubs in these materials are offered to every day golfers. Its not like Luke Donald has mizuno make him a set out of 1035 because the 1025e doesnt work for him. Now mizuno probably has different grinds and stuff on head for them to try sure.

Those look like Slingshot Forged Irons...interesting. Maybe Stites doesn't want to let go of his Slingshot idea.

And about Tiger...Nike is giving exposure, a brand, and LOTS of money. Similar to Jordan (23) and Lebron, they are building (or built I should say) a mystique around him. As for his clubs, he could play with a shovel and still beat some guys on the Tour.

In The Bag

Callaway X460 10 w/ Fujikara 65 Stiff
Adams Ovation 2 15 degrees
Cobra Baffler 23 degree Powerbilt Grand Slam II Irons Callaway Forged+ 54 wedge Rossa AGSI+ Daytona 1 NXT or NXT Tour

This is true but doesnt really prove your point. These clubs in these materials are offered to every day golfers. Its not like Luke Donald has mizuno make him a set out of 1035 because the 1025e doesnt work for him. Now mizuno probably has different grinds and stuff on head for them to try sure.

I realize that these materials are offered to everyday golfers. That was not my statement. For example, let's say two pros were playing a practice round. Player A tries out one of player B's irons. He loves the feel. It's something different, softer, perhaps. Player A finds that the materials are not what his company uses. However, they will use that material for his irons, follow?

I'm fully aware that the equipment pros use are available to the general public. However, some components, makeup, grinds (like you stated) are not produced in mass unison and are considered prototypes. Ultimately, though, having the cash and accessability to a fitter, you can get whatever you want.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Β 

Ball-White and Round

Β 

NIke's Forged Irons are actually made by Mizuno with a Nike stamp on the back. This isnt propoganda or speculation. Any golf dealer will tell you this. Same as Callaway's upper end irons are made by Cleveland.

The fact is... your upper end quality forged irons, are made in Japan. The US technology just hasnt caught up with the Mizuno's of the world.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

This is awesome. People who go on the internet and swear they have "a very reliable source", but they don't actually say who the source is.

Ok, Buddy from the middle of ......, since you ask nicely, the guy's name is G. Dunn he works for Nike on the tour van. (one that goes from events to events for the tour) I would bet he worked plenty with most of tour players that are currently under the brand

and more than likely his info's are more reliable about this particular subject; so my vote is on him.
Tools of the Trade :

Driver 907 D2 9.5* Fujikura (stiff) or 905 R 9.5* Diamana white (stiff) or ERC Hot (japan) 10* Fujikura Speeder 586 Tour Spec (stiff)

Woods/Hybrid: Burner Rescue 19* & Reax SF65 (Graphite Stiff) X hot 3 woods 15* Fujikura (stiff) Irons: ZM Forged Irons 3-9 Steel (stiff) Wedges...

NIke's Forged Irons are actually made by Mizuno with a Nike stamp on the back. This isnt propoganda or speculation. Any golf dealer will tell you this. Same as Callaway's upper end irons are made by Cleveland.

Don't know about the Nikes being Mizunos and such. I know a lot of people think his Nikes are somethng besides Nikes though.

As far as the Callaways being made by Cleveland Golf, no. If by Cleveland, you mean Roger Cleveland (who left Cleveland Golf, and got on with the big C a few years back), then, yes, he probably has a hand in the design of Callaway's forged irons. I know he designed the wedges....

In the Bag:

Driver: FT-5 Tour 9.5*; Grafalloy PL Red
FW Wood: X 17*; Stock shaft
Hybrid: X 21*; Fujikura BanzaiIrons: X-18 Pro Series; S300Wedges: X forged 56* & 60*balls; tees; like $20 in change; chapstick; bugspray; a bunch of wrappers and such.

Ok, Buddy from the middle of ......,

Huh?

since you ask nicely, the guy's name is G. Dunn he works for Nike on the tour van. (one that goes from events to events for the tour) I would bet he worked plenty with most of tour players that are currently under the brand

Seriously though, anybody can hide behind their monitor at home in their underwear and claim they have "a very reliable source". Just say who it is next time and people will be less likely to question you.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5Β° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15Β° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52Β°, 900 RTG 56Β° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60Β°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I'm pretty sure it's something along the lines of $90,000,000 a year in endorsement money alone. That would make me smile.

As far as his equipment goes, I'm pretty sure it's designed specifically for Tiger. He probably designed himself and had only one shot produced for him. If I had to speculate, I would bet that they are really close to the Titleist ZM blades, except with NIKE swooshes.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

...that were replicas of his MP-29's, or so the speculation goes.

Has far has I've been told, mizuno have been making tiger clubs for the past years, since he left titleist. They are just payed to put the nike logo on the clubs

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54ΒΊ SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60ΒΊ SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

Tiger is a smart guy and knows what Nike did for Jordan. As time goes by there will be more of a Tiger Brand in the same way the Jordan brand thing worked. Also the way Norman brand did under the Reebox umbrella. Tiger is not much for change so aI do not expect him to do anything rash.

If you look at forged blades, they have not changed much over the years. I have a set of Haig Ultra's that my wifes grandfather played in the 50's and they look just like Titleist muscle backs although they do have aluminum shafts.

What I play:
Driver: FTi Tour LCG Matrix Xcon 6
3 Wood: Sonartac SS03 *14
Hybrid: FT Hybrid *18
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 22*Irons: 5-PW i10, Project X 5.5Wedges 52, 56, 60Putter:i Black #9Ball: Tour ix

I realize that these materials are offered to everyday golfers. That was not my statement. For example, let's say two pros were playing a practice round. Player A tries out one of player B's irons. He loves the feel. It's something different, softer, perhaps. Player A finds that the materials are not what his company uses. However, they will use that material for his irons, follow?

Ok, so this is what I said in my previous post. As I said in my previous post. Unless your Tiger or Phil, this probably isnt happening. If Angel Cabrera goes to Ping and says, forge my S58s, i dont like the cast. I doubt they do it for him. See what I said about Luke Donald.

Again if im wrong about this im wrong. But I dont think I am.

Note:Β This thread is 5775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!