IGNORED

The Golf Magazines Master Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 5764 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious how many of the golf rags everyone reads or subscribes to. I personally subscribe to Golf Digest, Golf Magazine and some other mag that I'm not thrilled with called Golf illustrated.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Three that I pay for (Golf, Golf Digest, Golfweek) plus I get a couple that are "complimentary" such as GolfStyles (or something like that). They send that to me free of charge.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

All I want to read about is the golf news so GolfWorld is my mag. I HATE Golf and Golf Digest . All they are is ads and "tips" that get someone worrying about what their middle finger on their right hand is doing while the left butt cheek is flexing during the inside out swing which might cause the right ear to twitch etc etc. WAY to much information and things to think about. The golf swing is simple. Whoops. Sorry for the rant...

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

I get way too many. Golf Mag, golf digest, Golf Tips... The one I read for "golf" is Golf World..... Then like a real nut, I go and get a subs to Golf Week.... Shoot me now....

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

I've got Golf World and Golf Digest. I love the former and have mixed feelings about the latter. Golf Digest has some good parts, but I skip the tips section entirely.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I currently get Golf Magazine, Golf Digest, and Golfweek.

I'm going to let the Golf and Golf digest expire, and keep Golfweek, which is a great read.

I agree that the tips in Golf and Golf Digest are not only mainly regurgitated crap, but crap that contradicts itself from one issue to the next. The most amazing thing of all is that I've actually seen two different writer/teachers contradict each other IN THE SAME ISSUE!!

They've screwed up more amateurs' swings than Hogan's Five Fundamentals of Golf.

Plus, I'm getting really fried about paying money to receive 50 pages of real estate ads.

One at a time and I change every year. I also ignore the tips. Since they do not connect them to a style of swing or type of golfer they are useless. I contend that teaching pros must love these magazines because they keep screwing up golfers who come to them to get sorted out.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

The only magazine I make an effort to pick up every month is Golf Digest. I love the interviews, equipment reviews, Q&A; section, and general info. It always keeps me up to date with whats new in the golf world.

I may pick up other golf mags occasionally depending whats on the cover.
In The Bag

Sumo 13* w/aldila NVS stiff
BB 2004 3wood
Boxer 3,4&5 Hybrids A3 6-Pw CG11 52* & 56* 2 Ball Srt 33"Ball Nxt Extreme

I only subscribe to Golf, but I'll grab Golf Digest at the store sometimes if they have an issue that interests me. The current issue with the Master feature is pretty good.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I get Golf Digest. It's a decent magazine and I love the Hot list issue. However, take out the ads and you've got yourself a pretty thin magazine. I suppose that's the case with most mags. One golf mag is enough for me.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I subscribe to Golf Digest. I like the features. I only read the tips about course management, short game. I try to ignore the full swing stuff. I will pick up some of the other mags, and I get a couple of Canadian based ones for free as my memberships includes a fee to the RCGA that sends out a REALLY bad mag about 3 times a year.

What's in my bag:
Driver : R7, 10.5 degree, stock stiff shaft
16 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler DWS, with stiff stock shaft
20 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff
26 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff6 - PW - Bridgestone CG Mid, Dynamic Gold LiteWedges : TBA...

I have Golf Digest, Golf, Golf Work, Golf Week and Travel & Leisure Golf. Or as my wife says, too many. But then again, you can get the subscriptions so cheap on EBay now that it is worth it. I think I got 3 years of Golf World for around $12.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

..I contend that teaching pros must love these magazines because they keep screwing up golfers who come to them to get sorted out.

I've actually had more than one teacher tell me that. We were both agreeing that the articles were worthless, and they said that the magazines are one of the things that keeps the teachers in business.

Okay, I'm a magazine junkie....
Golf Digest, Golf Magazine, Links, and I get Golf for women for my wife and so I can check out the hot golf chicks.
I also buy the PGA Tour yearly guide, The Masters Journal x2 one to read and one for keeps. And I love the USGA Championship annual.
T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

• 9 months later...
I prefer Golf Digest. I think they have excellent articles and writers (excluding Dan Jenkins; I can't stand him), and they have some good instruction articles but aren't overloaded with them. And they have the Hot List issue, which is my favourite of the year.

I find Golf Magazine to be too much on the instruction side, though I do like reading David Feherty's article from the back page while in the magazine store. As for Golf Week, I live in Canada and I've never seen it on sale here, though I do enjoy their website.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Aside from trade journals (within my own field), Golf Digest and Golf World are the only magazines I subscribe to. I rarely read the instructional articles, largely because I find them ill-suited to my game. But the articles are great, and I really like the way Golf World is nearly every week; even if I know the article's information already, it's nice to read in the morning as I'm slowly waking up.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5764 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!